LegacyGT.com

My Hidden Subwoofer Install

alaskajoel

I was going to say that MDF rings would probably be the cheapest/easiest if you had a jig setup.. make a bunch of discs and donuts... stack and glue.. mount to bottom of a square box...

You could even make the rings different sizes to maximize or tune airspace.. Oh the possibilities.. just wish I had the tools/talent! haha

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the sonotube will not work. I looked at Home Depot today and toyed with one. There is know way that you can screw into it and have it hold at all. You could, screw through it into something like MDF though. Problem is that wont seal it. The tube also is not strong enough. It is strong in an outward fashion but not an inward one. Basically, the tube wont rupture from too much pressure inside but it will collapse when a strong vacuum is created.

I thought of two things that might work when I was in there. The sonotube could be used as a form to fiberglass around. It would work quite well I think. The other option was to use a large diameter PVC pipe as the round part. You could screw into it and there would be no need to fiberglass because it is ridged enough on its own. I'm going to go to a plumbing store to see if I can find some PVC in a large diameter like that.

Have you ever hit one with a baseball bat? They are pretty solid from outside pressure. :lol:

A few years ago my father-in-law made a piniata (?sp?) with one, and it took quite a few direct shots before caving, and that was with the ends just taped over- not plugged with an MDF circle on one end and secured to an outer ring on the other.

The PVC idea might not be bad either. I think that I may try the sonotube, just for fun. I just don't have a sub and amp to use with it...

Have you ever hit one with a baseball bat? They are pretty solid from outside pressure. :lol:

A few years ago my father-in-law made a piniata (?sp?) with one, and it took quite a few direct shots before caving, and that was with the ends just taped over- not plugged with an MDF circle on one end and secured to an outer ring on the other.

The PVC idea might not be bad either. I think that I may try the sonotube, just for fun. I just don't have a sub and amp to use with it...

When I went to HD they didn't have the sonotube brand but it was some other brand of concrete former. Is sonotube stonger?

When I went to HD they didn't have the sonotube brand but it was some other brand of concrete former. Is sonotube stonger?

There are different brands. The ones that I have seen had walls that were 1/2"-3/4" thick and were very dense cardboard. I could jump on it and it never bent.

I just found a home theater sub build log that was done using sonotube. The enclosure was around 19 cubic feet and the sub....an RL-p15 :eek:

So I'm convinced that it will work for just about anything you guys are going to put in the car.

Things I need to Know

1) What is the maximum diameter of the sonotube that I can fit inside the wheel itself?

2) How deep can the cylinder section be?

3) Alaskajoel listed the dimensions for the rectangular top part to be 20x20x3.25. Can it be any bigger than this without being too tall that it hits the underside of the trunk liner or the sides of the tire well?

If any of you can get these measurements for me I can try to build a prototype this weekend.

i'll grab some dimensions later today hopefully - the box i have makes a lot out of the space that's in there. I wouldn't want the top box part any bigger or i wouldn't have room to put my jack, tools, ETC. (they're stuffed around the box in blankets) Depth of the cylinder is pretty much at it's maximum because of how the wheel is shaped, and that you still need a bolt underneath it to keep the tire from moving around. (even after replacing the 1.5" butterfly style one that's there originally)

Stealth and Trunk space. This seems like the ideal solution for me. Joel if you could get those dimensions I would really appreciate it.

I also saw that the shop that made the box for you is based in PA and you are in TX. If you don't mind me asking ... did they ship it to you ? and if so were their prices reasonable?

Whaddya think it weighs with the carpet/speaker/wood/amp/cables?

extra 100lbs? Did you do anything to take 100lbs off of somewhere else?

Just curious as I would love to do this, but noticed a performance gain just by removing the spare tire. I cant imagine what an extra 1.5 spare tires worth of weight would do.

-Brad

Whaddya think it weighs with the carpet/speaker/wood/amp/cables?

extra 100lbs? Did you do anything to take 100lbs of somewhere else?

Just curious as I would love to do this, but noticed a performance gain just by removing the spare tire. I cant imagine what an extra 1.5 spare tires worth of weight would do.

-Brad

No way it will weigh 100lbs...I will guess half that on a rough estimate

On another note....can we confirm that a sonotube with a 12" diameter will fit in the wheel?

Original box dimmensions:

The box comes in two parts. The top (or part of the box that is seen) has dimensions of: 20" x 20" x 3.25"

The bottom cylinder part has a diameter of 11.75" and is about 5 inches deep.

the Sub is 'sunk' into the top box by about 1.75 inches (so when it hits it doesn't hit the carpet of the trunk) which means you have a top mounting depth of about 6.5" (give or take because of 3/4 mdf)

After remeasuring the space we have, the biggest possible safe dimensions for this box would be

22.5" X 24" X 3.25" (no more depth, and this makes it tight in the space so you have to find new places relocate your jack, ETC)

Bottom cylinder: Same depth, but could expand the cylinder to have a 14.5" Diameter instead of 11.75"

The bottom of the cylinder is already resting on the wheel, so we can't add any more depth (the top of the box allows the carpet to rest on it)

I found a place that sells LARGE PVC pipe :cool:

They have some with a diameter of 12.75 and the walls that are 3/8" thick that would be perfect for this application. The pipe will be MUCH stiffer and sturdier and should provide much tighter bass response. It is sold in 20ft sections for $150 :spin:......so I'll have to cut it.

Now that I've found pipe that will work for the application the rest of this will be a breeze. I should have a prototype done by Monday.

I found a place that sells LARGE PVC pipe :cool:

They have some with a diameter of 12.75 and the walls that are 3/8" thick that would be perfect for this application. The pipe will be MUCH stiffer and sturdier and should provide much tighter bass response. It is sold in 20ft sections for $150 :spin:......so I'll have to cut it.

Now that I've found pipe that will work for the application the rest of this will be a breeze. I should have a prototype done by Monday.

That is a LOT of boxes at 6-7" per box... :lol:

Yeah I know right? If enough people commit to it then I will do it.

I just sent a mod a PM about this asking what the standard procedure is for selling stuff, IE a sub enclosure, on the forum and what rules I have to follow. I know different forums have different rules so I figured it would be a good idea to check and not cross any lines to find land mines on the other side :lol:

Stealth and Trunk space. This seems like the ideal solution for me. Joel if you could get those dimensions I would really appreciate it.

I also saw that the shop that made the box for you is based in PA and you are in TX. If you don't mind me asking ... did they ship it to you ? and if so were their prices reasonable?

They shipped it to me, and the final cost (including shipping) was about $170.

Yeah that's about 40 boxes given that the cylinder has a max of about 5 inches...If the Stylion is serious, he had better get a group buy list, and vendor status...LOL:lol:

id definitely be interested in looking into this more. ive already (struggled) over my side mount sub fiberglass enclosure, and was going to use the spare Styrofoam spot for amps, but i like thsi idea to mount the sub. id be willing to mount amps on the side and scrap my troublesome side mount fiberglass sub enclosure if this group buy works out. damn genius i tell ya, GENIUS. im going home today and will tinker with the ideas and some measurements. AWESOME THREAD!!

I just PM'd Gumby (Dave) and he said it was ok to do a single group buy as a normal member and I didn't need vendor status.

So now that is cleared up, who is going to want one? I need to make a list of people so I know if it is worth it for me to go out and buy this pipe.

Archived