LegacyGT.com

My Hidden Subwoofer Install

alaskajoel

So effectively you have a very leaky, oversized box.

IMO that can't sound very good.

Well you have not heard it. So how would you know? IMHO:lol::lol::lol::lol:. I sealed it with weather stripping and it sounds pretty good. I'm old(36yr) and I was not wanting to make a block party in my trunk. I made it to fill in the lower range that the stock setup did not cover. And it did that. I'm not a total audiophile but, it sounds better then you think. It not a tight bass like a sealed box. But I always preferred ported boxes and that is what it sounds like. No weird resonate from the metal in the trunk. It sound good with everything from Fiest to Cream, John Williams, to hip hop like Dr. Dre. Does it sound as my 980w rms 7.1 THX Home theater + a 600w Klipsch sub playing a SACD or DVD audio? NO . But it's alot better then stock and better then you think.;)

Also this picture was taken before I sealed it.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you have not heard it. So how would you know? IMHO:lol::lol::lol::lol:. I sealed it with weather stripping and it sounds pretty good. I'm old(36yr) and I was not wanting to make a block party in my trunk. I made it to fill in the lower range that the stock setup did not cover. And it did that. I'm not a total audiophile but, it sounds better then you think. It not a tight bass like a sealed box. But I always preferred ported boxes and that is what it sounds like. No weird resonate from the metal in the trunk. It sound good with everything from Fiest to Cream, John Williams, to hip hop like Dr. Dre. Does it sound as my 980w rms 7.1 THX Home theater + a 600w Klipsch sub playing a SACD or DVD audio? NO . But it's alot better then stock and better then you think.;)

Also this picture was taken before I sealed it.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have commented on the SQ without knowing if that sub works in an IB set up.

I'm not doubting it fills in the low end of the stock system, especially at low to moderate volumes. I just don't think it would work for a lot of people. If you like it then great but I don't want anyone to think it's an alternative to a sealed or properly tuned ported box.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have commented on the SQ without knowing if that sub works in an IB set up.

I'm not doubting it fills in the low end of the stock system, especially at low to moderate volumes. I just don't think it would work for a lot of people. If you like it then great but I don't want anyone to think it's an alternative to a sealed or properly tuned ported box.

It's cool. If like music really loud(I have the '06 mp3 HU and rarely go higher then "10" and maybe "15" on older music like Joplin or Hendrix because they are recorded low.) then it may not be for you. I can see where it could distort at really high levels. Also I think this is a easy way for people that want more bass with very little work or money. It won't be hard to add a hard cardboard tube or MDF and seal it. You also don't have to worry about it moving around.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 2 weeks later...
Joel, what is the round part made out of?

Probably a SonoTube (http://www.sonotube.com/) or Wilson tube, which is a heavy, dense cardboard tube that comes in different lengths and is used as a form for concrete.

You can buy them at lowes or HD. They can be cut with a skil/circular saw, or even a fine-toothed sawzall/reciprocating saw.

You would have to use a router or band saw to cut the circular "plug" at the bottom, and you would have to very carefully drill and screw the tube to the lower baffle and the plug to the tube, or you could use a lot of liquid nails and 2" 18 or 16 gauge trim nails from a pneumatic gun.

Also, you could really just use a high-quality grille as opposed to a 2x or 3x layer of MDF to recess the speaker.

I could build that no problem. I do it for all the IS300 guys.

What are the dimensions?

whooooa you build boxes.... i seriously need your help...expertice...

now I definately have to come out to a ft worth meet

• 2 weeks later...
Not yet....but after finals week hmmmm ;)

I may play with the concept next week. My biggest fear is securing the tube to the inside of the cutout in the bottom. I know that drywall screws, wood glue, and liquid nails will hold it, but I don't know if I can get the drill in there to pre-drill through the outer wall of the tube and into the lower MDF so that the screws don't split it out.

I considered 18 or 16 gauge trim nails, but the angle still might be too tight to get the gun in there.

The bottom will be fine, since you can access it from the outside of the tube to drill the tube and the bottom "plug" of MDF.

Is that sonotube stuff you listed thick/strong enough to screw or nail into? If it is I could bang out this thing no problem.

If you could replicate this for less or even close to the price of the Wicked CAS stealth box, I would definitely be interested in one.

Is that sonotube stuff you listed thick/strong enough to screw or nail into? If it is I could bang out this thing no problem.

It is very dense- not quite MDF, but in the same vein.

It is about 1/2" thick, IIRC. It can easily hold a significant pressure from hundreds of pounds of drying concrete in a 12" (diameter) tube. It does not flex, either. I would use drywall screws in it (perpendicular to the surface- not parallel with the grain) without fear that they would pull out.

The MTX amp is connected to the Headunit through a MTX RE-Q signal Processor. (a neat line out converter that restores bass that the factory system reduces when you turn up the volume) I ran wires down the center console, and under the seat through the original OEM subwoofer harness hole.

Probably a SonoTube (http://www.sonotube.com/) or Wilson tube, which is a heavy, dense cardboard tube that comes in different lengths and is used as a form for concrete.

You can buy them at lowes or HD. They can be cut with a skil/circular saw, or even a fine-toothed sawzall/reciprocating saw.

You would have to use a router or band saw to cut the circular "plug" at the bottom, and you would have to very carefully drill and screw the tube to the lower baffle and the plug to the tube, or you could use a lot of liquid nails and 2" 18 or 16 gauge trim nails from a pneumatic gun.

Also, you could really just use a high-quality grille as opposed to a 2x or 3x layer of MDF to recess the speaker.

Use PL Premium instead of liquid nails, just don't get it on your hands.

It will bond just about anything, permanently.

I would also probably wrap the tube in sound deadener.

thanks. RE-Q is a neat gadget. Reminds me a lot of the Audio Control stuff I used to push. That and other tweaks like BBE, et al.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Use PL Premium instead of liquid nails, just don't get it on your hands.

What is PL premium? Link?

I think the sonotube will not work. I looked at Home Depot today and toyed with one. There is know way that you can screw into it and have it hold at all. You could, screw through it into something like MDF though. Problem is that wont seal it. The tube also is not strong enough. It is strong in an outward fashion but not an inward one. Basically, the tube wont rupture from too much pressure inside but it will collapse when a strong vacuum is created.

I thought of two things that might work when I was in there. The sonotube could be used as a form to fiberglass around. It would work quite well I think. The other option was to use a large diameter PVC pipe as the round part. You could screw into it and there would be no need to fiberglass because it is ridged enough on its own. I'm going to go to a plumbing store to see if I can find some PVC in a large diameter like that.

The MTX amp is connected to the Headunit through a MTX RE-Q signal Processor. (a neat line out converter that restores bass that the factory system reduces when you turn up the volume) I ran wires down the center console, and under the seat through the original OEM subwoofer harness hole.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that hole would you?

What is PL premium? Link?

I think the sonotube will not work. I looked at Home Depot today and toyed with one. There is know way that you can screw into it and have it hold at all. You could, screw through it into something like MDF though. Problem is that wont seal it. The tube also is not strong enough. It is strong in an outward fashion but not an inward one. Basically, the tube wont rupture from too much pressure inside but it will collapse when a strong vacuum is created.

I don't know if sonotube will cause attachment issues, but there are a buttload of home theater DIY types building subs that will make your heart skip out of sonotube. Remember, air pressure inside or outside is pressing on it equally. A cylinder is a very strong shape.

My guess is that it is either sonotube, or they are using a circle jig and router to make lots of MDF rings and laminate them. Kind of inefficient unless you have uses for the inside and outside of the rings though.

More likely you take one MDF sheet, and making the right circle cuts, you can get a ring shaped insert to help with mounting that also makes a hole one end of the sonotube fits in. My guess is with another sheet, and the right circle cuts, you get a hole for your sub and a circular piece of MDF to plug the far end of the sonotube.

I'll do a little research on some materials today and see what I can come up with.

if you need my help let me know....i have the 10w3 as a replacement for my stuff that was stolen and would love to go stealth...

i also need to meet up with op now that he is back in dfw

Yeah, we should totally meet up. I know I could build this for you guys for cheaper than 170.

You build it, I'll buy it!

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived