LegacyGT.com

08 DIY grill: 4 hours and 40 bucks

collegemt

I know what you mean. If you find a good source, let me know. I don't like doing this kind of stuff without a backup plan.

Seriously this is proabaly the easiest grill job you can do, especially compared to the 05-07 grill jobs. It reguires no sanding, no bondo, just a little paint if needed.

I am no expert fabricator, this is my first time with a dremel. The inside is very easy to cut out, just take your time. The mesh is easy to attach because the outer ring is removable and it attaches under the ring.

The hardest part was trying to figure out a way to mount the emblem and get it straight.

I think you guys should do it, just make sure you have all the supplies first, so you can finish it in one day.

I updated my walkthrough which explains how i mounted the emblem. Hope it helps.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am totally digging v2.0 collegemt! :dm: You have lit the fire under my arse and I am going to acquire the materials to do this ASAP. Thanks for posting up the sunlit pics too. After looking at the stock grille today I realized it's full of GIANT square holes so your method hides the radiator much better than the stocker. I might try a flat black first just to see what it looks like and go with a semi-gloss if the flat looks outta whack with the DGM that mine is painted.

Again, nice work and thanks for sharing the results!

Thanks for all the comments, but truthfully when i started this project, i just started cutting and didn't know where i was going with it. But once you cut the center out of the 08's grill, you realize how easy it is to make a fluch mount grill since the chrome ring is removable.

Paycer: You should be able to do this mod in 4 hours if you don't encounter any snags. Also you can see some of the radiator in certain lighting conditions, not horrible but visible at times. You might wont to spray a light coat of black paint on the radiator while the grill is off. Just a heads up.

I just did my grill today. I got caught up with other projects throughout my car and my buddy's VW, that is why the pics are in my garage at night. I also colored my Subaru badge black and painted my fog light holders. You can see that my fog light holders are popped out because they were getting painted. I will have some better pics tomorrow.

0403082105.jpg.c17c20d84820f4e0f2333b7bfbfd99c2.jpg

0403082103.jpg.83b5bc762025fe9b66bca7dd7ec06283.jpg

If anyone local is interested in doing this let me know. I would be willing to help and let you use my dremel if needed.

That looks really good. I like the black. I might take you up on the offer if it can be done this nicely on an '05.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

That looks really good. I like the black. I might take you up on the offer if it can be done this nicely on an '05.

The problem with the 05-07 grill is that the chrome strip is not removable so you have to put the meshon the back of the grill. It still looks pretty good but it requires alot more work.

Here is one thread that walks you through it:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62899&highlight=diy+grill

If you still want to do it let me know.

I just did my grill today. I got caught up with other projects throughout my car and my buddy's VW, that is why the pics are in my garage at night. I also colored my Subaru badge black and painted my fog light holders. You can see that my fog light holders are popped out because they were getting painted. I will have some better pics tomorrow.

Nice job! looks good. Are you happy with the results?

I have to come up with a solution for my wagon. The previous RBS grill that was on mine got sold along with the front lip before I bought the car. I am thinking about hacking mine up this weekend. I hate chrome also. I really want to get it painted to match the GRP paint.

^ All I need to do is hack it up, sand it down, lay the necessary bondo, sand it down again, and then take it to the nearest body shop to have them paint it OEM GRP. After that, just throw on a black mesh and a Subaru symbol (or B4 symbol, if you will)....Then I would be good to go....

I'm really happy. I would like to know, did you just go at the radiator with black paint? I would like to make it all black behind the grill. How does the black emblem look?

^ You make it sound so easy, lol.

Compared to the last grill Chris (CSTMZR) and I did, hacking it up and just fixing the back and the sides would a lot easier than trying to do everything we did with my last one. Granted it looked really good, my skills are not on that level. I have learned how to use bondo effectively, but painting, I will leave that to those who know how to paint.

I just did my grill today.

Hey, grill looks great!! I had a few questions:

1) How'd you color the emblem?

2) Could you post a few pics from further away. I'd love to get a big picture of the grill on the QSM

Thanks in advance!! :)

I'm really happy. I would like to know, did you just go at the radiator with black paint? I would like to make it all black behind the grill. How does the black emblem look?

I havn't painted the radiator yet, nut i plan on just using the same paint i used for the mesh rust oleum black.

Archived