LegacyGT.com

08 DIY grill: 4 hours and 40 bucks

collegemt

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've found a way to make behind the grill black!! After you make your grill turn it around and lay down mulch film. ( The stuff you use to prevent weeds from growing) Screw in the film with 2 screws at the bottom of the grill and 2 at the top. Then spray between the grill and film with spray glue. Let dry.

DSCN3519.thumb.jpg.55256a9f3aca7b0e3cb4ee480773cc44.jpg

DSCN3522.thumb.jpg.8976570b0bff8b2fb7a8263e2b41ccd7.jpg

I've found a way to make behind the grill black!! After you make your grill turn it around and lay down mulch film. ( The stuff you use to prevent weeds from growing) Screw in the film with 2 screws at the bottom of the grill and 2 at the top. Then spray between the grill and film with spray glue. Let dry.

You do realize that your radiator likes air, right?

While doing this all, I decided to paint around the fogs. I painted what was normally black, quartz silver. What was off silver, I painted black. Not sure what I think but I'm lovin the grill!!

DSCN3526.thumb.jpg.21fcc059de0a10b5c257e2e5f2abaad5.jpg

DSCN3528.thumb.jpg.6cbbb1735ca594492ea708b4e178c2a7.jpg

DSCN3530.thumb.jpg.e5e3ed13fe2eaf50d6b9cc5c37ffd287.jpg

I was wondering how sturdy the grill stuff is. Im worried about it getting dented and pushed in.

It is not as sturdy as the stock grill, as far as denting it goes, if you get in a accident it will mees it up, but i think everyday driving it should be fine. It is pretty flexible mesh, so it can bend a bit.

I bought all the recommended supplies last night for this and am gonna take the plunge and cut up my grill today after work. Any tips you guys have who have done it. Mounting the badge and mesh?

I drilled two small holes in the plastic part that the emblem connects to and safety wired it to the grill. I also used clear silicone since it moved around a little.

To hold it in place I ran a zip-ty through the grill and around the emblem till it dried.

I also used silicone on the emblem itself.

Just got done with mine. Just around 3.5 hours to do the whole job and that includes a trip to Home depot. I think I'm gonna order some new mesh online though, the powder coated stuff. I feel this will chip easily. I painted it flat black too which I like a lot better.

hardest part was getting that damned thing off. I couldn't find the two side screws to save my life. Almost gave up but glad I didn't

Check it out

IMG_0003.thumb.jpg.715069711bb93bc99e5296d7906ecb7f.jpg

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.7dfc02e5cae746574d99343530e01402.jpg

IMG_0005.thumb.jpg.cee48afb9fb4dfd1261868e022d859ec.jpg

Looks good, Golf. I think I am gonna order the powder coated stuff as well.

I was messing around today, and found that if you stick a little mirror behind the grille (come up from the bumper) you can find the screws very easily.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Looks good, Golf. I think I am gonna order the powder coated stuff as well.

I was messing around today, and found that if you stick a little mirror behind the grille (come up from the bumper) you can find the screws very easily.

I'm happy with the powder coated stuff. I had a chip and touched it up with some black touch up paint I have for my truck. Can't even tell.

I love it. To get the emblem on I drilled 4holes in the chrome tribe ring in the 4 tabs that stick out. I then ran small gauge steel wire through the holes. After that I used jb quick weld to hold it to the emblem then I tied it on. Easy easy job. Anyone with an 08 NEEDS to do this.

Archived