LegacyGT.com

08 DIY grill: 4 hours and 40 bucks

collegemt

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+28 on painting the mesh black. you have a black car. the glaring silver mesh just sticks out, even if you leave the fog light trim silver.

Pry the OEM badge off the stock grille and smack it in the middle of the new mesh (glob up the back of the badge with epoxy and 2-sided foam tape from 3M, I did this to my RBS grille, it's like a rock after 3 years) and it'll look like an 08 front end that is purchased in Japan. Much better.

I'd sand the hell out of the chrome ring and paint it black too (I used about 10 light coats of satin black on my OEM grille one year for a project), as I'm just frankly not a fan of chrome at all.

Excellent write up with pics though... others will learn from your thread.

^^^

I think that's a Scion dude...

And it's 'their'

:lol:

sorry there

actually it is a legacy, look at the box just above the dremel box, if u go to pepboys they have a ton of products with a silver legacy on the box. i know cause my friends give me shit about it.

sorry there

actually it is a legacy, look at the box just above the dremel box, if u go to pepboys they have a ton of products with a silver legacy on the box. i know cause my friends give me shit about it.

You're saying this is a Legacy? :rolleyes:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2962000-2962999/2962064_66_full.jpg

OP: I personally think it looks good the way it is, it will look even better with a subaru emblem on it.

Everyone has their own opinion. If you like it, then thats all that really matters.

Besides, you will find that quite a few forum members don't like anything that draws "too much attention". (i.e. chrome, sound systems with heavy bass, wheels bigger than 18")

To each his/her own.

mine... painted black

Had it on for a month and took it off after the emblem fell off (I was lazy and simply used some strong double sided tape to attach it on). Luckily it fell off in the car park so I just picked it back up and stuck on my JDM spec.B grill.

The main reason I took it off was due to paint getting chipped off from the mesh due to the hazards of daily driving and is starting to look ugly. I really need to find some paint that is not so easily scratched before I am going to put it back on.

G1.jpg.e645529de23f43e658285064f18f1ee5.jpg

G2.jpg.79c5aa77fc48bff5c0959ba0b6f0d7f1.jpg

G3.jpg.56d158c7a3fb5ff5bc4d089ced2012ff.jpg

The main reason I took it off was due to paint getting chipped off from the mesh due to the hazards of daily driving and is starting to look ugly.

I've been trying to decide what the ideal coating for these grills would be. At one end you have regular spraypaint/rustoleum, which is almost guaranteed to chip. Then there is powdercoating, ceramic coating and products like plasti-kote.

I've been trying to decide what the ideal coating for these grills would be. At one end you have regular spraypaint/rustoleum, which is almost guaranteed to chip. Then there is powdercoating, ceramic coating and products like plasti-kote.

yup, I considered that too but the cost of a proper paint job from the body shop will be higher than what the grill is worth so it feels kindna strange.

mine... painted black

Had it on for a month and took it off after the emblem fell off (I was lazy and simply used some strong double sided tape to attach it on). Luckily it fell off in the car park so I just picked it back up and stuck on my JDM spec.B grill.

The main reason I took it off was due to paint getting chipped off from the mesh due to the hazards of daily driving and is starting to look ugly. I really need to find some paint that is not so easily scratched before I am going to put it back on.

What did you do with the chrome, did you just paint over it or strip it and re-paint?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

What did you do with the chrome, did you just paint over it or strip it and re-paint?

I planned to strip the chrome completely since I had a really bad time with paint not sticking to the chrome while blacking out the headlights.

Once I started working on it though I realized how difficult it was to remove the chrome completely as I do not have rough enough sand paper to do the job. I ended up giving it a one hour sanding job anyway with 400 grit sand paper and started to see a slight golden hue coming from under the chrome and stopped there. The chrome wasn't completely removed but I guess the surface was rough enough that the paint was able to adhere onto it just fine.

-1 :lol:

leave it chrome... black looks good on white cars... yours looks great w/ chrome....

i think it will look even better w/ an emblem, once you figure out the best way to attach it...

So i painted the mesh black and added the emblem:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2962000-2962999/2962064_74_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2962000-2962999/2962064_76_full.jpg

Now that's slick!!!!

:whore:

Might just be the camera angle, but it looks like the emblem needs to be tweaked a tad counter-clockwise.

Looks AWESOME though! I think I definitely like the black better!

What'd you use to paint it?

Archived