LegacyGT.com

gutted oem down-pipe vs. aftermarket cat-less downpipe

turbotool

I recently purchased a Megan racing 3-inch cat-less down-pipe for my LGT. Looking at the stock dp I was wondering if I gutted it could I get the same performance??? Just want to know if anybody tried both and had some results to post. I did a search but it wasn't conclusive. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have any proof (aka dyno #'s) But my Basic stage 2 setup datalogs the same with a stock gutted shorty and catted stock mid as my Flow/Crucial catless setup. Feels pretty much the same to me. I'm sure it makes a difference once you get into bigger turbos though.

This same question has been rattling around in my mind. From what I'm hearing, as someone who is judging the wisest use of my upgrade funds. I'm already stage 1, want to go stage 2, but also would like to make some suspension improvements. Sounds like instead of dumping my money in a uppipe/downpipe combo, I'll just go with the uppipe, gut my downpipe, and dump the money I was going to spend on a new downpipe and get some sway bars, and springs instead.

This same question has been rattling around in my mind. From what I'm hearing, as someone who is judging the wisest use of my upgrade funds. I'm already stage 1, want to go stage 2, but also would like to make some suspension improvements. Sounds like instead of dumping my money in a uppipe/downpipe combo, I'll just go with the uppipe, gut my downpipe, and dump the money I was going to spend on a new downpipe and get some sway bars, and springs instead.

I'm thinking thats what I should have done.

Hmmm....so if JoeFromPA has an 08 LGT, there does not appear to be a benefit to going with an aftermarket downpipe for some small-town tuning.....just take the stock off, gut the DP with a big-arse pipe or similar tool (while wearing an eye shield and a heavy-duty respirator!) , buy some new DP gaskets, re-install, and voila....ready for Stage 2 randiness :)

God Bless catless stock Up-pipes :)

Joe

Hmmm....so if JoeFromPA has an 08 LGT, there does not appear to be a benefit to going with an aftermarket downpipe for some small-town tuning.....just take the stock off, gut the DP with a big-arse pipe or similar tool (while wearing an eye shield and a heavy-duty respirator!) , buy some new DP gaskets, re-install, and voila....ready for Stage 2 randiness :)

Joe

Lucky bastard.

Joe

That's what I did and you're ready for stage2.

Down the road if I decide on more power I would probably get a USED catted 3" DP. Even used we're talking $400.00. :eek:

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

where do I go to get my dp gutted?

Its easy enough to do it yourself. I've personally never done it but I'm pretty sure it just involves a long screwdriver and a hammer. You just hammer out the screens you see inside the pipe. Separating the two sections would also make it easier I think. I would also make sure you didn't leave anything laying in the pipe after you're done. That could be bad. If someone else who has done this could elaborate, that would be great.

IIRC, the cat material is extremely hazardous to your health. If you gut it yourself, pay the 10-15 dollars for a really high quality respirator.

I'm not talking like toulene paint hazardous, I'm talking really instantly bad.

Could be wrong :)

Joe

IIRC, the cat material is extremely hazardous to your health. If you gut it yourself, pay the 10-15 dollars for a really high quality respirator.

Joe

I'm screwed then :eek: since I gutted several and took no precautions, even with the open wounds that resulted. But it was the up pipes that are meanest. I agree, however, that a mask should be used...... as well as leather gloves. Some of those pesky bits are hard to get out and sharp.

That down pipe cat is amazingly easy to remove. No need to remove the pipe either, just the midpipe, a snap. Then, using a hammper and a looong chisel or screwdriver (or somesuch) just break it up and hack it out. Won't take an hour altogether.

15 mins and a hammer, you got yourself a gutted downpipe and/or midpipe. I noticed no real gains from a larger DP until I had a larger turbo. So, if you are running stg 2 or want to run stg 2 on the stock turbo, just gut at least one of the cats. there are two in there, dp and midpipe.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I picked up the front section of the DP from a fellow member that already gutted the 1st DP cat. The rear section, which I also purchased from another member but I had to gut the cat myself. You have to keep an eye out for them, which is what I did.

You may want to keep the original catted DP in case you want or need to go back to stock (ie: inspection).

Also, you could go Stage2 with just removing one cat. I don't think you necessary need to remove both DP cats.

I used a long crowbar and just pounded until the catalytic piece was gone. The hardest part was removing the pieces of mesh and metal brace that connects the cat to the DP. I used an wire hanger and a light (to see inside) to hook and pull those pieces out of the DP.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Hmmm....SeeeYa. Start the chemo now :)

I remember seeing a video online of a badly tuned CTS-V blowing out it's cats...while being revved in a garage with a buddy behind it. Both guys just kinda stood there and inhaled the heavy metal dust....in the background, a Dog begins wheezing...

Haven't you ever read "Andromeda Strain"? :)

So you can remove just the one cat in the DP and go Stage 2? In 08, that would leave one cat in the mid-pipe, right?

Has anyone passed inspection with just one cat?

Joe

I have had both. The gutted DP at stage 2 levels was just fine. On the exact same tune there was really no noticable difference between the two. Now if you really want to get down to it I feel I would be able to achieve quicker spool and hold a bit more psi on an optimized tune. However at the time I was not able to perform this.

I have had both. The gutted DP at stage 2 levels was just fine. On the exact same tune there was really no noticable difference between the two. Now if you really want to get down to it I feel I would be able to achieve quicker spool and hold a bit more psi on an optimized tune. However at the time I was not able to perform this.

So what you're saying is you could achieve quicker spool and more psi with the aftermarket downpipe and a good tune???

So what you're saying is you could achieve quicker spool and more psi with the aftermarket downpipe and a good tune???

Quicker spool for sure, also should be able to hold a little more boost up top where the stock turbo starts dying off. All in which depends on your tune as well.

I never wanted to gut the pipes on my WRX, but decided to do it on my LGT, mainly to maintain some bit of "stockness". I bought another DP, gutted it in about 5 minutes, and slapped it in. (I put in a gutted UP at the same time). I left the third cat just for noise reduction and to keep most of the raw gas smell out.

Running Stage 2 for months now, and wouldnt have it any other way.

How's the power at 2500-3000 rpms compared to stock running a no cat uppipe, gutted DP with 1 cat left and stage 2 software?

I'd really like to increase the 2000-4000rpm range :)

Joe

A cat will hurt spoolup...no real chance to improve 2000-2800rpm performance. Stock turbo can pick up quite a bit with stg2 hardware in the 2800-4800ish area. After that the turbo begins to fall on its face.

now even with a catless dp and keeping the main cat do you still have a smell. i would think if you went completely catless but if you still have the big cat i would assume you would be ok? than again we all know what happens when you assume

Joe

oh no... i do not want to die :)

i gutted 2 DPs with no mask....

Joe is right though... it's some nasty stuff... felt it in my throat for a day or two... so, mask is a good idea....

gutting itself is very easy.... less than 10 min job... much much easier than i originally anticipated.... the stuff crumbles instantly after you hit it and falls out...

Archived