LegacyGT.com

gutted oem down-pipe vs. aftermarket cat-less downpipe

turbotool

So there are two cats in the DP making a total of four? :spin: I thought there were three total. One in the DP, one in the MP and one in the UP.

The stock DP has 2 portions, the shorty (with 1 cat) and the midpipe (with 1 cat)..total of 2 post turbo. Then you add in the up cat for a grand total of 3.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This got me confused initially too...someone please correct me if I am wrong..especially about the resonator.

On the stock exhaust (post turbo) there are 5 parts:

1 - Downpipe - Shorty section (with cat) bolts to

2 - Downpipe - Mid pipe section (with cat) bolts to

3 - Exhaust - Midpipe (with resonator) and

4 - Exhaust - Y pipe bolts to

5 - Exhaust Mufflers

When you hear "Catback Exhaust" that means Pieces 3 through 5.

When you hear aftermarket downpipe it usually means pieces 1 and 2...some aftermarket DP manufacturers offer a "shorty" DP, that would only be piece 1.

I would always confuse 2 and 3 since they are usually referred to by the same name (midpipe).

Don't think anyone can be clearer than this. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate and break it down for a confused newbie in terms of exhaust parts :)

I vote yes for the smell. As i've said before, i leave the garage closed for first few seconds of start up, just so the gas smell can accumulate. I love the way it smeels. Is wuner if thot casueds teh Drain Bramage. Uh meen I hupe I ddnt brain my damage
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

So there are two cats in the DP making a total of four? :spin: I thought there were three total. One in the DP, one in the MP and one in the UP.

only 3 in 05-06. uppipe, downpipe and midpipe (the shorty sections, not the long pipe that's kinda part of the y-pipe).

07+ only 2 in the down and mid pipes.

someone posted a diagram of a turbo back exhaust for me when I was a newb and I thought I had it. apparently I can't seem to find it or I'd post it. It cleared up a lot for me.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

only 3 in 05-06. uppipe, downpipe and midpipe (the shorty sections, not the long pipe that's kinda part of the y-pipe).

07+ only 2 in the down and mid pipes.

someone posted a diagram of a turbo back exhaust for me when I was a newb and I thought I had it. apparently I can't seem to find it or I'd post it. It cleared up a lot for me.

This should help clear things up

http://i27.tinypic.com/2aj0ra9.jpg

Awesome! Thanks Zen...here's the only pic I have for reference. It's an Xo2 "CBE" (with resonator) next to the stock CBE:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/Picture014-1.jpg

Soooo...what I thought was the third cat I removed was actually a resonator (?) :(

Awesome! Thanks Zen...here's the only pic I have for reference. It's an Xo2 "CBE" (with resonator) next to the stock CBE:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/Picture014-1.jpg

Soooo...what I thought was the third cat I removed was actually a resonator (?) :(

are you serious? so my catless downpipe and up pipe means im running totally catless? i thought that was the last cat in the chain. no wonder my car stinks

• 4 weeks later...
I gutted all my pipes the first month i got my XT, deleted the resonator, slapped a K&N in with the intake box mod and send the wife to the mall with it :D She now has a very heavy foot ever since....

The stock downpipe has 2 pieces: front(shorty downpipe) and rear(midpipe)...

Basically the minimum requirement for stage 2 is to remove the cat in the front(shorty) piece...so that's why I said you don't "have to" remove the cat in midpipe. You can keep it and remove the front one only.

PS: you can see the pic in #82...

Archived