LegacyGT.com

gutted oem down-pipe vs. aftermarket cat-less downpipe

turbotool

So, I'm planning to keep one cat in the aft DP (MP) to prevent bad smell and backfires. Should I bother with the expense of a high-flow? I just bought an Sti UP, so now I figure I can spend a day installing the UP and gut the fore (shorty) DP in the process. My plan is to then travel 5 hours to Cobb in UT to get a custom tune for my APV2. What do you guys think of this plan, as far as bang for the buck and sensibility?

Note: I currently run a custom TDC stage 1 map for my AEM CAI.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm....SeeeYa. Start the chemo now :)

So you can remove just the one cat in the DP and go Stage 2? In 08, that would leave one cat in the mid-pipe, right?

Has anyone passed inspection with just one cat?

Joe

I may have missed it... - did anyone reply whether they've passed inspection with just one cat?

Thanks

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

we don't have emission inspections where i live. I run my turbo diesel truck fully catless, and mufferless for that matter.

if one was to run an 07/08 LGT with a fully gutted downpipe (2 cats correct), then how would one deal with the 02 sensor and dealer scan tools....

here in CT (although I havent gone catless yet) the dynos they run the cars on are only 2 wheel so we are exempt. they just plug in and check for codes which if you have an accessport you should have none...

what does "have to" mean? please clarify so i don't buy the one that i'm looking to buy if it's not necessary.

In case you're still shopping...

Most aftermarket downpipes come in an "extended" version that replaces both OEM parts of the downpipe that contain cats (the first 2 pieces downstream of the turbo). If you get a "catless" one your getting rid of both cats. Unless of course it's specifically called a "shorty" then you're just replacing the first section post turbo which contains the first cat.

I hope I made that much more clear.

Archived