LegacyGT.com

The "Charcoal vs. Gas Grilling" Battle Thread!

rc0032

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The big advantage with charcoal is the fact you have lighter fluid to squirt on the hot coals. Fire, fire, fire!!!! Uhh, huh, huh.

yeah till the flames shoot back up the stream & blow the can up in your hands

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I dunno. I would like to look into it, but something about that, I dunno, I feel like it'd give me cancer or something lol.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I dunno. I would like to look into it, but something about that, I dunno, I feel like it'd give me cancer or something lol.

Well I looked a little more into it, it is still gas powered, but the flames are very small and dispersed. They are underneath a infrared plate, not sure exactly what that does, but they do have some great reviews. Anyone have one?

Maryland's Suby friendly Realtor. My favorite suby shop:

http://www.IAGPerformance.com

Charcoal= Vinyl

Gas = CD

Which one is better ? Well it depends on what your cooking and convenience.

I prefer to smoke my ribs and chicken .

Gas for burgers dogs and some steaks.

I have to throw in my $.02 now that I've read 6 pages....

Charcoal is a cheap initial investment and gives great results. A $25 charcoal grill gives you better taste than a $300 propane grill.

HOWEVER if you get a HIGH quality $800 up gas grill I feel the scales start to tip. As said before if you want the flavor you can adjust to whatever you want. It heats up quick.....

Thin of the charcoal grill as the LGT of grills. The best bang for your buck, it gets the job done well and does what you want it to better than the competition at similar prices....

As for BBQ... I'll never understand that, I thought I did, then I moved to NC and now apparently there is a difference in the damn CITY it comes from... Lexington is better than Hickory.... people will never agree!!

FWIW I haven't read the previous 5 pages in this thread.

Lump charcoal FTW.

Haven't used lighter fluid since the early 80s, newspaper in a charcoal chimney is the best and fastest.

Steak places don't use charcoal because to the high volume, but how many gas grills do you see at national BBQ cookoffs?

Infrared is great for searing steaks.

Charcoal is a slow grind with your wife, gas is a quicky with a coworker in the office supply closet. It's your preference.

Lump charcoal FTW.

Haven't used lighter fluid since the early 80s, newspaper in a charcoal chimney is the best and fastest.

Steak places don't use charcoal because to the high volume, but how many gas grills do you see at national BBQ cookoffs?

Charcoal is a slow grind with your wife, gas is a quicky with a coworker in the office supply closet. It's your preference.

Well said sir :)

But El Paso?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5196PHKGABL.jpg

where I love the above posted taco dinner (I make them almost every saturday). .I dont understand what that has to do with his quote?
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Lump charcoal FTW.

watched the gas vs charcoal grill debate on the Discovery or History Channel where they tested the two to see what the best was. bottom line was red meat charcoal, white meat gas the consensus was charcoal was harder to control the heat but seared better gas was easier to control at lower heats plus it was more consistent with it's heat. the favor from charcoal/wood is caused by the steam/smoke they produce from meat drippings they said that could be done with a gas grill and lava stones.

i have friend who is a chef at a high end steak house and he said the key to steaks is high heat their grill is more like an oven/broiler it cooks from both sides at once he said it gets upwards of 700+ degrees they sear them then move to cooler part of grill.

i also agree with the other person that a high end gas grill is not a bad choice but to each his own. happy grilling.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I have a Weber kettle 21inch(I think), It does an awesome job on whole chickens. I usually do two at a time using medium size chickens. I prep them by trimming as much fat as possible, shoving a lacerated orange in the cavities and rub on top. The oranges do a great job of keeping things moist and also impart a flavor into the meat. Charcoal>Gas for this.

I have a gas grill with cast iron smoker box. add some soaked mesquite chips or cherry, and let them smoke away. gas convenience, charcoal flavor. best $8 mod I've ever spent.

better than either is 'asado', or South American slow-cooking. A stack of logs burns to one side, the hot embers get spread out under a LARGE grate holding all the food. No direct flame, only burning embers to slow cook things. A little bit of coarse parrilla salt and the wood embers does the rest of the seasoning.

I have a Weber kettle 21inch(I think), It does an awesome job on whole chickens. I usually do two at a time using medium size chickens. I prep them by trimming as much fat as possible, shoving a lacerated orange in the cavities and rub on top. The oranges do a great job of keeping things moist and also impart a flavor into the meat. Charcoal>Gas for this.

Try shoving a 1/2 full beer can up its ass :)

http://www.heikoschlitz.de/images/schlitz_disp.jpg

Great pic PGT! My wife's family is from Argentina and we went down there 2 years ago, and what an experience that was.

Easily the best steak I've ever had, along with every other part of the cow. Everyone has the asado setup in the backyard it's quite the feast you have every single day :)

I've thought about building my own chimenea brick setup in my backyard to try and replicate the asado experience, but it's alot of work. I still to my gas grill with wood chips for smoking the flavour, and charcoal when I got out on picnics with my portable unit.

And you forgot the key sauce they use, Chimmi Churri on everything, gotta love that :)

Archived