LegacyGT.com

Potential buyer claims to have reported my VIN for modifications

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why not just simply say to him..."go ahead".

he is playing on your fear. i would put money down and say even if he did tell the cops they would stare blankly at him. they got better things to do than to do smog test on some random car. that is what dot is for and the smog test facility.

otoh...if you bought a used car wouldn't you want to know if the owner had stage 2'ed it?

also...cars fail smog emissions all the damn time. i had an old 89 mazda getting near 200k miles that smoked and still passed. the law states that if it fails you HAVE to spend xx$ to fix it. boo fricken hoo. tell him to shut the hell up and quit wasting YOUR time.

while you are at it. tell him you hit and ran a person and got away with it, tell him you ding peoples doors with it, ran from the cops in a high speed chase. give him all kinds of false info. the more he tells the cops (if he goes) the more they will laugh at him. quit being soo scerrrd for nothing.

everyone should just start spaming his email .

sigh, don't suggest things that would be illegal on public forums, it tends to come back and haunt you.

I would just tell anyone looking to buy the car that of course the modifications would not pass smog and as a good citizen you have to recommend that they remove them all prior to licensing the car and driving it in California.

What they choose to do with your advice is beyond your control. Though I don't know the California laws and if there is any burden on you prior to selling for that, you'd have to check with someone local. As others have said though, best to ignore him and just go back to your business.

there is no burden on the seller in cali. as long as u state beforehand that the car won't pass smog.

the rest is up to the buyer.

as i and a few others stated, ignore the idiot. no cop in the world would care. the only way he can hurt u is maybe drive a few buyers away by putting comments in the carfax like someone mentioned.

I would be surprised if just anyone could have stuff added to any random Carfax. I would also be surprised if Carfax employs people whose job it is to investigate allegations from random people on the internet.

On the other hand, if that IS true, consider finding the dork, and his car, and his VIN, and see what you can get added to HIS Carfax. :) (You see why I doubt this is even possible in the first place.)

Hey guys... so I'm trying to sell my car as some of you may know, and this guy emails me (pretty typical), asking for the VIN and if I will smog it for him. I say that I will and give him the VIN. He then goes into a long thing about how the modifications are illegal in California and how I shouldn't be trying to get the car smogged with them... Once I realize that he's not at all interested in buying the car I just ask him why he contacted me, to which he says that he's reported my VIN to the authorities and now that I've admitted to illegally modifying the car, if I try to smog it will be a felony. His email address is:

james.davey48@yahoo.com

Has anyone selling a car encountered this fellow or know anything about government officials snooping around craigslist to find modified cars and then sneakily reporting them to whoever the authorities are? Or maybe he's just a nut job? Thanks!

-Weston

Silly question....will the car pass the smog test as is? I have no idea how restrictive CA emissions laws are.

Yeah… I can't imagine anyone buying a car without running a VIN check on it.

Believe it or not. Every single car I have owned I sold privately, none of the buyers ran a VIN check on them. I would but then you can't fix stupid.

IMO, carfax, vin or whatever else is useless. The car speaks for itself, I can tell if it's been hit, painted or whatever. In terms of used cars, I'm batting 1000. I look at used cars every day at work to determine if it is a retail piece or an auction piece.

Not all will agree with this here but I see cars with squeaky clean titles and car fax info that were a POS.

The thing is, the car should pass smog, it did fine in Nevada and I think it will in California as well (I have a catted downpipe). I should have just ran the carfax myself and sent the report out to the potential buyers... James just told me that even if it does pass smog, it's still a felony because I "know" that there illegal mods on the car.

I suspect in Cali it actually is a felony to do so, because of the whole CARB system. While it could potentially pass smog in Cali, it would be tough because I've never heard of aftermarket parts with CARB certification.

misdemeanor not a felony to have aftermarket parts on the car. although they will fine u up the ass if u mess with emissions parts (ie header, exhaust pipe, cats)

the fine for having no cats in cali i think is upwards of the $1k mark now.

as for other mods..... suspension mods are all fine as long as u are above the 22in mark from center headlight to ground. wheels are fine, bodykits are fine, lights are iffy part... some cops care about HIDs some don't. engine parts, depending on what it is, is either fine or illegal. it isn't as strict as most of you believe when it comes to modding cars here in cali. they just don't want you to touch the emissions and the rest is fair game really.

o and i forget to add. the less conspicuous your car is to cops, the less they will get you. i mean i drive with *cough*illegal*cough* mods past a police station everyday, and had cops around me at a light before and not once did they even look my way. also helps when u drive the speed limit and have a car color that blends.

I suspect in Cali it actually is a felony to do so, because of the whole CARB system. While it could potentially pass smog in Cali, it would be tough because I've never heard of aftermarket parts with CARB certification.

FYI, there are TONS of parts with CARB certifications. Most of the big name manufacturers have exemptions on their intakes, headers, intake manifolds, etc. It does cost a good amount of money to obtain theses certs though. That's why AEM charges you $200 for an intake that costs $20 in materials.

When I had a Honda I made sure all the parts I put on there carried a CARB certification. Last thing I needed there was more hassles. Course, I'd be screwed with the Subie. But, its far simpler to replace a DP and remove the AP map than it would have been to swap engines in the Honda:p

Unless I missed something, aren't subies AWD??? The last time I heard from all of my mechanic friends, CA doesn't have AWD dynos for smog testing. It is a sniffer test only. Wrap the DP with insulation, and you have nothing to worry about. (*So i hear.*)
If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

FYI, there are TONS of parts with CARB certifications. Most of the big name manufacturers have exemptions on their intakes, headers, intake manifolds, etc. It does cost a good amount of money to obtain theses certs though. That's why AEM charges you $200 for an intake that costs $20 in materials.

When I had a Honda I made sure all the parts I put on there carried a CARB certification. Last thing I needed there was more hassles. Course, I'd be screwed with the Subie. But, its far simpler to replace a DP and remove the AP map than it would have been to swap engines in the Honda:p

exactly. you get what you pay for. ;)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Unless I missed something, aren't subies AWD??? The last time I heard from all of my mechanic friends, CA doesn't have AWD dynos for smog testing. It is a sniffer test only. Wrap the DP with insulation, and you have nothing to worry about. (*So i hear.*)

Yes, you can pass a sniffer with a single aftermarket cat. However, you are will fail the visual inspection, regardless if it passes the machine. Whether the smog technician chooses to enforce the laws strictly is really up to him. Most guys give you some wiggle room. Others don't. Naturally they face some stiff penalties if they are caught. I think the 3rd offense is an automatic revoking of your smog license.

If you get sent to a smog ref there is NO WAY you'll ever pass with an aftermarket cat/downpipe.

Yes, you can pass a sniffer with a single aftermarket cat. However, you are will fail the visual inspection, regardless if it passes the machine. Whether the smog technician chooses to enforce the laws strictly is really up to him. Most guys give you some wiggle room. Others don't. Naturally they face some stiff penalties if they are caught. I think the 3rd offense is an automatic revoking of your smog license.

If you get sent to a smog ref there is NO WAY you'll ever pass with an aftermarket cat/downpipe.

FWIW, AVO now sells a carb legal downpipe, so you can go stage 2 legally in CA.

Archived