LegacyGT.com

Toyota Share Holders Not Happy

SLegacy99

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With things going the way they are for FHI, i think these guys should think hard about their AWD strategy. It's unique but it's like Sebastians menu in LA (From Kitchen nightmares). It's not working well for them.

They should introduce a RWD legacy, front FWD Impreza and an on demand AWD for Forester. I am not saying they should stop AWD altogether but they should consider diversifying their niche or so to speak.

They also need a proper flagship car. Something bigger, something more elegant but not as expensive as Mercs or BMW. Honda has a Legend. They should also consider expanding into India and never sell Forester as a Chevrolet in India, ever.

Or another thing, get bertone or PininFarina to design the next Legacy. It's clear the current designers have no idea what they are doing.

ItalDesign/Guigiaro

They did a great job on the SVX...

I disagree about Kaycy's AWD take.

RWD Legacy isn't going to hold a candle to Infiniti's G35 (nissan skyline) or G8 (Holden Commodore).

FWD Impreza has nothing on Mazda3.

AWD is Subaru's meal-ticket, they just have to capitalize on it, as the only cars in their classes with standard AWD, and how it is more capable of rear-wheel-assist systems.

I bought Subaru SPECIFICALLY for AWD, and lots of others do, too.

There are sportier RWD cars, and more efficient, better looking FWD cars. If Subaru doesn't have AWD, they relegate themselves to an "also-ran" status even moreso than they already have, and that they absolutely do not need.

They need to be different, cleaner-designed, and more unique in purpose than the rest of the market. When you are small, you cater to your strengths. Small is nimble when big is cumbersome, small is specialized while big is general. Competition is almost like non-lethal combat, and quiting the "fight" means going out of business. If Subaru wants to survive, it has to get more of a "killer instinct" and fight for marketshare gains.

Cut R&D and give up production capability to Toyota when they could have used the Isuzu exit to boost their own = decline in sales

Serious identity crisis forgetting their niche going after a broad appeal they don't have the money to go after...notice the Impreza wasn't listed as growth strategy for 08 I bet it was before they pulled the curtain off of it...if you drive it you'll love it vs. the competition but getting someone past the curb appeal is the challenge

With the economy in the shape its in and the line up Subaru is offering they need more than the Forester and the highly niche overpriced STi to grow 7%...even as much as I like both of them.

The Impreza redesigned is killing them and the neglect and production capablity of the Legacy

Regarding rattles. I hate them as much as anyone, but I am more willing to accept a few on a $21,000 car than a expensive brand like Lexus. My father in law has an 06 GS 330 AWD and it has about 4 or 5 rattles. His previous GS300 had a few too. To top it off his RX350 has excessive wind noise. I have driven/ridden in about all premium brands and haven't found one to be immune to rattles...they all have them.

Regarding rattles. I hate them as much as anyone, but I am more willing to accept a few on a $21,000 car than a expensive brand like Lexus. My father in law has an 06 GS 330 AWD and it has about 4 or 5 rattles. His previous GS300 had a few too. To top it off his RX350 has excessive wind noise. I have driven/ridden in about all premium brands and haven't found one to be immune to rattles...they all have them.

See now I find this odd since our Lexus/Toyota expirience has been the exact opposite. Though if he too is in WI I could see why I guess. Terrible terrible roads in those parts. And north of Chicago. Could shake the teeth right outta your head.

Hopefully Toyota will just take over Subaru and build a twin turbo V8 Boxer engine with AWD. Subaru doesn't know shit about running a company, marketing, etc. etc.

As far as the boxer diesel goes. It should be a great seller in the US, but as usual stupid US consumers don't know Shit about anything and it won't sell. :(

Cut R&D and give up production capability to Toyota when they could have used the Isuzu exit to boost their own = decline in sales

Serious identity crisis forgetting their niche going after a broad appeal they don't have the money to go after...notice the Impreza wasn't listed as growth strategy for 08 I bet it was before they pulled the curtain off of it...if you drive it you'll love it vs. the competition but getting someone past the curb appeal is the challenge

With the economy in the shape its in and the line up Subaru is offering they need more than the Forester and the highly niche overpriced STi to grow 7%...even as much as I like both of them.

The Impreza redesigned is killing them and the neglect and production capablity of the Legacy

When Isuzu exited. Subaru DID increase their own production. The only way to even try to pay for the entire plant was to increase production and sell more cars to the dealers. Subaru bloated inventories as far as they could and applied heavier and heavier incentives to move the cars but there was no way possible to produce enough cars to pay for the plant, remain profitable, and keep up dealer relations.

Your comments on impreza are kind or retarded. The Impreza is having record growth... and that's with the decline in WRX sales. Yes the WRX needs help... but impreza in general is enjoying the best sales of its existence.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if its any consolation.. the impreza is one of the only cars subaru makes that gets any TV time.. and its advertised with the poppy happy smiley ricey advertising tactics that they use for the civic.

I think sometimes that the marketing staff at SOA is a chimp and a "jump to conclusions" mat.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Good point, the risk of not having a lot of $ for RnD, is that Tribeca (aside from being ugly in it's first year) is about 3 + years late. The diminishing market for big SUV's ala Ford Expedition, Jeep and so on is causing problems for the US automakers.

Hopefully Toyota will just take over Subaru and build a twin turbo V8 Boxer engine with AWD. Subaru doesn't know shit about running a company, marketing, etc. etc.

Who knows, maybe that can give Subaru the press/edge it needs to sell at a higher volume.

Your comments on impreza are kind or retarded. The Impreza is having record growth... and that's with the decline in WRX sales. Yes the WRX needs help... but impreza in general is enjoying the best sales of its existence.

The Impreza has been going no where but up since the X games in '06. Good for SOA. You would think though that they would try to further boost sales of it by offering more power in the WRX (direct injection anyone?) or perhaps a more fuel savy 2.2L version (with direct injection anyone?) and of course better transmissions.

Personally, I think that car buyers would take WRX and the LGT more seriously if it had a 6MT. Vehicles like the S2000, TSX, even the Jetta offer a 6 speed.

Good point, the risk of not having a lot of $ for RnD, is that Tribeca (aside from being ugly in it's first year) is about 3 + years late. The diminishing market for big SUV's ala Ford Expedition, Jeep and so on is causing problems for the US automakers.

Um... no... The Tribeca is a midsize crossover SUV and it's segment is one of the few that is growing as people bail on their body on frame SUVs. Subaru wasn't late to the party... they were the first of the latest round... I can think of quite a few that cam after. CX-9, CX-7, Q7, Edge, MKX, Lambda triplets (soon to be quadruplets), Journey, Commander,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With the poor gas mileage of all of these midsize crossovers I don't see how they can stick around much longer unless they are improved.

Think of the popularity of Tahoes, Expeditions, Durangos, Explorers, Trailblazers, Sequoias, 4runners, etc. during the late 90's and through the first half of this decade. To them... midsize crossover SUV's are a gift from God.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, but people were switching from SUV to CUV when gas was in the $2.00 range. Now we're talking $3.00 range and that extra 2-3 mpg you get out of a CUV doesnt go as far.

...and the segment is up 17.7% vs last year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, but people were switching from SUV to CUV when gas was in the $2.00 range. Now we're talking $3.00 range and that extra 2-3 mpg you get out of a CUV doesnt go as far.

And I got a $110 OUCH (actually SEK 660) this Monday when I did fill up my car. That's from 53 liters...

It's really getting painful over here... And most of it is taxes.

453747.png

This thread just took on a whole new humor.

Toyota Share Holders not happy with Subaru investment return.

Yet Toyota just released this abomination under the scion name. This is NOT the RWD Toyota/Scion sport coupe rumored. (I certainly freakin' hope not.)

Autoblog: Scion Hako Coupe

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/03/hako_coupe_concept_live.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/03/19hako_coupe_concept_live.jpg

I wonder what Toyota Shareholders think of this brick of crap.

That's why I said they should keep the Impreza as a compact car, leave the Legacy the same size (maybe a bit wider, I could go for another inch or two) and introduce a larger, A6 sized sedan..

I'm game.

...I'd be okay with an A5 like coupe as well....say an SVX.

I have sat in the A3 and A4.. I'm sorry, I find the plastics to be cheap and the ergonomics to be lackluster.

I drove a 2001 A4 a little while back. The black plastic on the power window switch (actually most switches and knobs that could illuminate) was flaking off revealing the white (illuminated) plastic underneath. That is poor quality.

There were some nice touches in the car: there was a monstrous armrest in the center console positioned forward enough so you could rest your arm on the armrest and shift with your wrist. I liked that. I'd have to have simian arms to pull that off in my Legacy (even with the armrest extender).

Beyond that, it had a variety of confusing minimally-labeled controls (typical of German cars) so HVAC, radio, etc. took some getting used to. Overall, it was a nice enough car, but definitely not worth the price or the maintenance costs. Cars should last for 10 years (and you should keep them that long) before that pesky "diminishing returns" point is crossed. With most cars, that line is at about 10 years. In my experience, German cars usually cross that point about when the warranty expires (4-6 years).

Not only that...

but an H4 has less material, fewer machined surfaces like cam lobes, shorter block, heads and cams than a V6.

H6 Vs V6 is more of a fair comparison not H4 and V6.

Archived