LegacyGT.com

Toyota Share Holders Not Happy

SLegacy99

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that, and how much did I pay for this massive dash rattle? ...quality control anyone?

+1

horrible rattles in a 20k mi car, My last Hyundai Elantra had just as much rattling and wind noise but cost 5k less! The only selling point for the Legacy has to me is the AWD and reliability.

Not only that...

but an H4 has less material, fewer machined surfaces like cam lobes, shorter block, heads and cams than a V6.

Sure, maybe it is a bit more involved than an I4, but an i4 is about as stone simple as it gets. Only a briggs and stratton lawn mower engine is simpler than an I4.

The Corolla, Camry, Prius, Highlander all have nicer interiors nowadays than anything Subaru has, except maybe the Tribeca so no I don't agree with you at all. And the Prius has an enormous back seat. Toyota is also known for their high quality paint jobs, even on the cheapo Yaris.

Toyota owning a small share in Subaru hasn't done anything other than set in motion a Subaru equipped with hybrid synergy drive and a Toyota with a boxer engine. The two companies don't even share things like window switches. And keep in mind that GM's share of Subaru don't influence Subaru at all either.

IMHO, part of the problem Subaru has is trying to figure out what they want to be and, how to pitch this via their marketing. Selling Outbacks, Forresters, Imprezza and Legacy's in the same commercial is just confusing to non-Subaru owners. And for those of us who already bought one, what does it do? Make you feel good to see your car doing hard corners or, trudging across some dirt road.

Personally, I like the fact that Subaru uses "older" technology / their cars are not leading edge technology (forced due to limited budgets). Aside from banjo filters and a lack of an iPOD input (which caught the entire industry off guard) what I do get is proven, reliable technology, though it does frustrate at times. I drive an auto (spare me the grief, it's also the family car) but come on, it's not that aggressive to put a 5 speed automatic in the car. But, overall that's why I bought, others have different, & valid reasons.

I think that that Subaru has such a limited budget for development and marketing because they WASTED their resources on the Tribeca... imagine if all that money was instead poured into better Legacy/Impreza designs? I think the decline of Subaru began when they started releasing the Tribeca. It was (still is) ugly and it corrupted the look of the Impreza at the time (along with the Justy). Subaru simply came WAY too late into the SUV market especially when they already sell SUV alternative/crossovers.

To sum things up: Tribeca = Death of Subaru.

The Corolla, Camry, Prius, Highlander all have nicer interiors nowadays than anything Subaru has, except maybe the Tribeca so no I don't agree with you at all. And the Prius has an enormous back seat. Toyota is also known for their high quality paint jobs, even on the cheapo Yaris.

I sat in a brand new 2008 Toyota Tundra. It's the cheapest pile of crap I've ever sat in. The 2000 Chevy Silverado I had used much higher quality parts. The plastic on the Toyota was flimsy and didn't fit together well. The seats were made of a cheap material -- and it was about $5000 more expensive than the comparable American truck with far fewer features.

I've owned a 1990 Toyota Celica and my wife currently has a 2004 Camry. Both were/are black. I don't think that Toyota paint is anything to write home about. Paint swirls abound and the paint scratches easily.

The paint on my Chevy, however was far superior to both my Subaru and the Toyotas. With or without waxing, the finish always deep and showed only minor swirling after 5 years of ownership.

I sat in a brand new 2008 Toyota Tundra. It's the cheapest pile of crap I've ever sat in. The 2000 Chevy Silverado I had used much higher quality parts. The plastic on the Toyota was flimsy and didn't fit together well. The seats were made of a cheap material -- and it was about $5000 more expensive than the comparable American truck with far fewer features.

I've owned a 1990 Toyota Celica and my wife currently has a 2004 Camry. Both were/are black. I don't think that Toyota paint is anything to write home about. Paint swirls abound and the paint scratches easily.

The paint on my Chevy, however was far superior to both my Subaru and the Toyotas. With or without waxing, the finish always deep and showed only minor swirling after 5 years of ownership.

All I can say is that our '92 Previa, 2 Lexus RXs, my sister's '03 Corolla, sister in law's '04 Prius, bro's "01 IS, and bro-in laws '02 4Runner have far superior paint quality than either of my Legacies or the Impreza my brother had. No clear coat cancer, no random chipping and Toyota offers more colors.

Why don't we ask Peguin what he thinks of his Tundra. My buddy just got a Tacoma. Pretty nice if you ask me.

I can think of a few reasons why Fuji is sucking it up: Baja, Tribeca, 07 WRX, 08 WRX. It's as if Subaru strives to put out the ugliest vehicles on the market.

This would explain it to me. Subaru has had horrible redesigns. i'm scared to see what they do with our beloved legacy with the redesign. If its anything like the impreza or tribeca redesign, I will be buying a different brand next time around. Also what is with the face lifts after 2 years on subarus could they be any more wasteful?

I guess everyone's perception of interiors differs quite a bit. I feel that the LGT (especially the 08) has a nicer interior than the A4 with fewer cheaper plastics and better ergonomics. I also feel that it is better laid out than the new 3 series BMW.

When you say it is nothing to write home about, what do you think is lacking? I feel that it has some good quality materials on the parts that you touch, as well as no hard plastic on the dash or door sills and everything is laid out quite well. Not really sure what could be improved upon :confused:

FAR superior to the new 3 -Agreed.

the cheesy peeling door handles. = needs improvement

I guess everyone's perception of interiors differs quite a bit. I feel that the LGT (especially the 08) has a nicer interior than the A4 with fewer cheaper plastics and better ergonomics. I also feel that it is better laid out than the new 3 series BMW.

When you say it is nothing to write home about, what do you think is lacking? I feel that it has some good quality materials on the parts that you touch, as well as no hard plastic on the dash or door sills and everything is laid out quite well. Not really sure what could be improved upon :confused:

I don't think the design is all that exciting. Given that is more attractive than the interior of my LGT, I just don't find it more exciting than a Camry's. And I really don't care for the interiors of the Impreza or Forester anymore. Bleack. I do like the wood in the 3.0R.

As far as quality goes all I hear is dash rattles from you folks. Im wondering what happened, because like Ive stated many a time I don't have any rattles and haven't ever. And then I think of our Toyota history and I can't think of any rattle problems, my mom would never tolerate it.

Improvements could be made to make it more aestechially pleasing. Like you said, the A4 is great and always been. And the kind of interior is being passed down to Passats and Jettas. Its flat out great, crisp styling IMO.

Perceptions must vary greatly. I agree with you. What one person thinks is a "nice interior", others seem to think is crap.

To me, the Legacy is built with higher-quality materials in many ways compared to current Toyotas. For example, the headliner in the Legacy is much nicer than the cheap fuzzy-felt headliner used in Toyotas. There are lots of other ways in which the interior is nicer as well.

Of course, there are a few ways in which the Legacy interior is worse than Toyotas: trunk lining material is cheap and doesn't include a mat, the door armrests are cheap and dent easily, and the glovebox is crap (rattles, has too much play, and doesn't close nicely).

Unfortunately, Sleg99 is stuck on this perception that the '99 Legacy is the "b3st L3gacy 3VAR". I'm sorry, but it's not. The '05+ is better in every measurable way. That's just progress -- even Subaru improves upon itself despite what many here think.

The fact is that in the last 5 years, Toyotas have gone downhill in quality and reliability. Even the Korean cars are looking "high quality" now.

As far as quality goes all I hear is dash rattles from you folks. Im wondering what happened, because like Ive stated many a time I don't have any rattles and haven't ever. And then I think of our Toyota history and I can't think of any rattle problems, my mom would never tolerate it.

The dash rattle was an assembly error (not a design problem) and there's a recall for it. I believe that only early models were affected. I have it, but I don't want some monkey at the dealership tearing apart my dash to fix it. The dash rattle goes away after the car warms up -- it's not a big deal. The car's a tank.

All cars have rattles and all cars have recalls. Toyota decides that instead of recalling its cars that it should, instead, make the customers eat the cost as it rests on its "reputation" for "reliability".

The dash rattle was an assembly error (not a design problem) and there's a recall for it. I believe that only early models were affected. I have it, but I don't want some monkey at the dealership tearing apart my dash to fix it. The dash rattle goes away after the car warms up -- it's not a big deal. The car's a tank.

All cars have rattles and all cars have recalls. Toyota decides that instead of recalling its cars that it should, instead, make the customers eat the cost as it rests on its "reputation" for "reliability".

DON'T

I had the dash rattle recall done, and it got WORSE, AND the monkey at the dealership FUBAR'd my ProSport Boost Guage!

AND they fubar'd my stage 2 tune, and I had to send my AccessPort back to Cobb to get it re-initialized to re-install it.

SO it still rattles, still doesn't fit right, and the boost guage is worse than before, and the car is out of warranty (bumper-to-bumper)

I didn't take it back, for fear of it getting even WORSE.

The driver's door weather stripping that I had replaced, also started fraying almost immediately.

So, yeah, I am not so keen on bringing my car in to Subaru.

BTW, Sebberry, I love, and whole heartedly subscribe to your signature line.

Subaru.... Listen up. Keep the Legacy designers and fire all the others. Re-staff with a younger design team and get some better designs. The new '09 Forester looks like crap BTW. And for the love of GOD, you better not F* up on the Legacy redesign in '10 or '11.

AND please, PLEASE run adds for any other vehicle on TV other than the Forester. I'm sick of seeing them and frankly, THEY SUCK!! (the commercials that is.) Hey, I know, how about a nice add about the Legacy GT/Spec-B kicking the crap out of an Audi on a track. That would shut those over priced yuppies down in a heart beat!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::spin:

(Thanks for letting me vent!)

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

Unfortunately, Sleg99 is stuck on this perception that the '99 Legacy is the "b3st L3gacy 3VAR". I'm sorry, but it's not. The '05+ is better in every measurable way. That's just progress -- even Subaru improves upon itself despite what many here think.

And I said that where? Get over yourself. I don't like the interiors of the new Legacies. Go cry about it. :rolleyes:

Archived