LegacyGT.com

Anyone with an OEM blown turbo please post!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of this makes me fear wanting to buy an 09 spec B

is this year still affected by premature blown turbos. And could the problem be avoided with this:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-996/IP%26T-Complete-Filtered-Turbo/Detail

That 08- 09 is beautiful i just don't want it to explode after buying one

If it bypasses the original banjo bolts then it addresses the issue.

Krzys

Pull that darn screen filter out of the banjo bolt. I'm origional owner of '05 LGT, using Royal Purple 5/30 synthetic every 4-5K, my turbo lasted until 162,000. I'm at 188,500 now. If fact, doesn't burn oil but goes thru about half to 3/4's of a qt. between oil changes. Just changed the valve cover gaskets about 1500 miles ago.

Name: LGT Slayer

Make: VF40

Mileage: 135,000

Time Out Of Use: tbd

Problem And Likely Cause: broken shaft, oil starvation seems to be the general consensus, but cannot affirm that yet

Modifications: LFW, stage II clutch and pressure plate, K&N Panel Filter

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): N

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): N?A

Your Story:

Daily driver, turbo blown, fixing, that's about it

Name:

Make: 2005 Legacy GT limited

Mileage: 97,000

Time Out Of Use: 6 days

Problem And Likely Cause: Banjo filter

Modifications: stock

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable): accepted without question by Max Care

Your Story: Decided to go on the ice to teach my girlfriend how to control an all-wheel drive car in snow (throttle!) Lap 1 under low boost heard the notorious death whine... Called the Dealership (Dahl Subaru of La Crosse) Was told to limp the car down to them. 1 business day later my new Vf40 was ordered and will be installed on thursday and ready for pickup friday. Just keep your car clean, keep records, and keep it under warranty.. I had no issues, questions, or comments about how, where or why it happened. Will however be changing my oil @ 2500, and changing the banjo every 10k just for peace of mind!

Name: dollywoodjess

Make: 2005 Legacy GT Limited

Mileage: 99,675

Time Out Of Use: 4 days so far... researching options

Problem And Likely Cause: Not sure yet

Modifications: Cold air intake

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): No

Reason Given For Denial (if applicable):

Your Story: Driving at highway speeds and heard a pop followed by CEL and flashing cruise. Pulled the code and it was P0011 but heard the deathly whining noise and knew something else was wrong, considering I had severe power loss. Sad panda.

• 2 weeks later...

Turbo #2 Blown.... Bad Bearing according to dealer.

Will be calling SOA, but expecting them to fight a second Warranty Coverage after 30K miles since warranty replacement....

Although I do change my oil religiously @ 3,750 with Amsoil Siganture Series & Filter....

I recently upgraded my stock turbo. It has 56K miles on it and was in fine working order. If you would like it, please send me a PM and we can work out a reasonable price.

Thanks, but I'm thinking hard about upgrading the Turbo anyways, so it's either:

A) SOA Warranty Coverage (free)

or

B) Upgrade Time

Hopefully that will help out someone else who truly needs an in-expensive solution though!!;):rolleyes:

Name: Tacityne

Make: '05 LGT

Mileage: 118,000

Time Out Of Use: 2 weeks. New short block.

Problem And Likely Cause: Unknown - Likely oil starvation, maybe something else due to it's age.

Modifications: Tuboback, CobbAP Stage 2

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): no

Your Story: Hill climb into ski country and turbo blew. Power loss and spooninablender sound from engine compartment. I wasn't educated on turbo failure in this car and opted to drive it home. Big mistake. Shrapnel in engine. After researching what I done, I opted for the short block and sure enough, the mechanic showed me the scored races once it was open.

Chose BNR 16G turbo with filter kit rather than the OEM crap on the rebuild.

I've had it since '06 and this car seemed like a fantastic choice for me in all categories until now. I was meticulous on the upkeep and I know the turbo got farther than many. .. but I'm very disappointed with it now that it cost me a whole motor. The design has no provision to protect the engine from the seemingly imminent turbo failure (yeahyeah I know that I should have towed it, but research seems to indicate that it may not have helped. . .the metal may be circulating in the motor well before the moment of failure anyway).

I think there should be an appropriately sized filter on the turbo oil inlet AS WELL AS THE OUTLET LINE to protect the motor from fragments generated by the turbo journal bearing in failure, and it should be checked for blockage periodically.

Now I'm off to find an appropriate filter for the outlet line that won't restrict flow too much. Anyone with experience on this?

Jeezus... threads like this scare the shit out of me! :(

I can't believe how many failures at 58k (Seemed to be a magic freaking number!)

I'm at 99k right now, and crossing my freaking fingers! :confused:

I'm considering to start saving for an upgrade/replacement to probably the vf46 and a uppipe over the next year... We'll see... (Already have the Bullet proof IC ready to put on) I feel like it's a puzzle game trying to figure out all the little crap I can think of, that I can replace that will help prevent future issues with this car...

Original owner, and I miss my warranty! lol

Jeezus... threads like this scare the shit out of me! :(

I can't believe how many failures at 58k (Seemed to be a magic freaking number!)

I'm at 99k right now, and crossing my freaking fingers! :confused:

I'm considering to start saving for an upgrade/replacement to probably the vf46 and a uppipe over the next year... We'll see... (Already have the Bullet proof IC ready to put on) I feel like it's a puzzle game trying to figure out all the little crap I can think of, that I can replace that will help prevent future issues with this car...

Original owner, and I miss my warranty! lol

See sig. below & don't let your hart be trouble:spin::rolleyes:;):lol:.

Want your turbo to last as long as your motor. In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use whatever oil & filter that will protect for the OCI's your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Yup I'm at 140k on my original turbo and I beat the sh!t out of my car. It's all about keeping track of things and addressing them when they are needing attention.

:lol: yup! I've beat the piss out of my car for at least 60k till I started "Calming down" :lol: (Ironic #? I think not lol... Warranty expired, and I like everything thats ready to break to break while still under warranty haha)

I let my schedule and weather etc get the best of me one winter and for the first (And last time) seen my oil light blink on, and go off with acceleration Ooops... Topped it off, and have been all over watching it since. I let that OCI go a little long without looking. But yea that was 2+ years ago.

well I've been over my car for the past 20k miles and just am waiting for a reason to upgrade (blown motor). I just can't justify changing to something else when this one is still going. I keep up with its oil changes though but I haven't done the timing belt service or the 130k miles service or anything so I imagine its just a matter of time. I'm prepared for the next car already if this damn car ever dies.

well I've been over my car for the past 20k miles and just am waiting for a reason to upgrade (blown motor). I just can't justify changing to something else when this one is still going. I keep up with its oil changes though but I haven't done the timing belt service or the 130k miles service or anything so I imagine its just a matter of time. I'm prepared for the next car already if this damn car ever dies.

:lol: thats hilarious! Yea man, I've had this GT since 05 new, and I may reinvest a bit more effort and $$$ into her since I'd like to see a couple more years of no car payments, but I'd be lying if I told ya I didn't feel the same way ha... Just ready for some change but 2 more years minimum most likely, as long as she stays in one piece (And already know what I'm probably gonna get! :cool:)

I think mine won't make it through the year. Transmission is always tripping out lately and I only get 10lb of boost. I don't have time to take the intake manifold off to check the lines under it and all the visible ones are connected so I'm somehow being stuck on wastegate pressure. I tested the wastegate though and it opens up fine and has free movement like it should also.

It is quiet boring to drive a 5EAT with a moody transmission and only 10lb of boost available to you though.. Many days I just want to drive it into a ditch and take the insurance payout but every time I look at it I get all soft and gooey in side and can't bring myself to crash such a beautiful car.

I think mine won't make it through the year. Transmission is always tripping out lately and I only get 10lb of boost. I don't have time to take the intake manifold off to check the lines under it and all the visible ones are connected so I'm somehow being stuck on wastegate pressure. I tested the wastegate though and it opens up fine and has free movement like it should also.

It is quiet boring to drive a 5EAT with a moody transmission and only 10lb of boost available to you though.. Many days I just want to drive it into a ditch and take the insurance payout but every time I look at it I get all soft and gooey in side and can't bring myself to crash such a beautiful car.

hahahaha TOTALLY hear ya! Damn legacy and her soft spot :wub:

Yea I'm gonna swap out the PCV valve, do the power steering pump (It works, and a LOT better since the PS flush, but it's annoying at times still), swap the IC to a Bulletproofed IC, clean the MAF sensor and probably do a little Throttle body cleaning and then just hope everything else just stays intact for a while! lol

Archived