LegacyGT.com

Symmetrical AWD vs 08 EVO AWD

ayc can control tq split between front and rear and side to side, and can be adjusted by the driver...

our is automaticly done...thats kinda like the cliff notes of cliff notes...

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Other markets have had the trick rear diff on the EVO for a while, first in the US. Think Honda's SHAWD that's actually tuned for performance.

I think the three systems that can actively send more torque to one rear wheel or another without any slippage are Honda's SHAWD, the EVO, and Saab's new system.

Subaru yammers on about symmetrical AWD because of the equal length driveshafts up front. Benefit being minimizing torque steer and corrections needed when the power hits, keeping the need for either driver or electronic adjustments to a minimum. Elegant from an engineering standpoint to boot.

but it is hype that people love to fall for :lol:

The car magazines are falling all over themselves explaining how the EVU system makes it feel so much better than the STI.

They can say whatever they want about the feel, but when you put the 2 up against eachother, the evo has gined some power so now it makes the same power as the STI, but it also gained 300lbs, and when ran around road courses the STI blows the new evo away. In every test ive seen anyway. I think hatch cars are sooo ugly, i think the new STI is ugly but atleast it didnt loose any performance like the new EVO. Hell when you put the Evo 9 against the 10 most times i have seen the evo 9 win.

I don't put much faith in these systems. SH-AWD torque biasing system is a joke.

The previous versions of the GT-R used a similar system that the new EVO X uses. However, the new GT-R uses a torsen rear LSD.

Journalists need something to take about to jusitfy their pay. I remember the 4 wheel steer systems from the late 80s and early 90s. Alot of journos came to their defence and threw adulation upon them....

Most people just junk those 4WS systems the first opportunity they get.

Symmetrical AWD just refers to the idea that Subaru's AWD system can be cut in half longitudinally and it is symmetrical on each side. That means that the half shafts are equal at both the front and rear axles and the propshaft travels down the center of the car and is not offset. The front and rear differentials are also at the center of the car, width-wise. The symmetrical AWD keeps the weight of the whole system balanced and symmectrical width-wise and prevents any sort of correction for torque steer based on unequal length half shafts. Also, it can send power to the front or rear, unlike light awd systems that only send power to the rear when the front wheels slip (like in the RX350, ford Fusion, etc.).

I don't put much faith in these systems. SH-AWD torque biasing system is a joke.

The previous versions of the GT-R used a similar system that the new EVO X uses. However, the new GT-R uses a torsen rear LSD.

Journalists need something to take about to jusitfy their pay. I remember the 4 wheel steer systems from the late 80s and early 90s. Alot of journos came to their defence and threw adulation upon them....

Most people just junk those 4WS systems the first opportunity they get.

:eek: I can't speak for all 4WS systems, but my other car is a 1988 Honda Prelude with 4WS and it has been trouble-free. For the model years similar to mine, people seek out the 4WS versions, they don't "junk" them by any means. A hot topic in the Prelude forums is transplanting 4WS onto the standard model.

Sometimes I even tilt my passenger side mirror down just so I can watch the magic happen.:wub:

I wonder how many different systems Honda/Acura has labled "SH-AWD." I'm guessing it's just a trademark, it doesn't really tell you anything other than it's AWD and Honda made it. Ditto "Symmetrical AWD" and all the others.

but it is hype that people love to fall for :lol:

The car magazines are falling all over themselves explaining how the EVU system makes it feel so much better than the STI.

then you can't read.

i have 3 of the majors in my possession and have read all 3. the torque split on the evo is more adjustable and much greater front/rear biasing and i believe rear's side to side.

like i said...symmetrical is all advertising and there is a reason why sti got its ass whooped on the handeling. .90 vs .97?? that is A LOT of cornering advantage. subie just thinks that scraping the side mirrors on cornering is ok for some reason.

I wonder how many different systems Honda/Acura has labled "SH-AWD." I'm guessing it's just a trademark, it doesn't really tell you anything other than it's AWD and Honda made it. Ditto "Symmetrical AWD" and all the others.

it technically works exactly like our if guys would learn how to read.

open front...HOLY CRAP. just like the gt...

center diff...again just like our gt. but iirc a 50:50 max split. could change once the tsx comes.

rear iirc is electronically controlled...ours is not. could be a battle.

please...for the love of religion...read...

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=RL_Learn_FeaturesOptions_Performance_SHAWD_SHAWDOverview

then you can't read.

i have 3 of the majors in my possession and have read all 3. the torque split on the evo is more adjustable and much greater front/rear biasing and i believe rear's side to side.

like i said...symmetrical is all advertising and there is a reason why sti got its ass whooped on the handeling. .90 vs .97?? that is A LOT of cornering advantage. subie just thinks that scraping the side mirrors on cornering is ok for some reason.

What are you talking about?

When the STI came3 out eh magazines fell al lover themselves explaining why Subaru's system was awesome.

:eek: I can't speak for all 4WS systems, but my other car is a 1988 Honda Prelude with 4WS and it has been trouble-free. For the model years similar to mine, people seek out the 4WS versions, they don't "junk" them by any means. A hot topic in the Prelude forums is transplanting 4WS onto the standard model.

Sometimes I even tilt my passenger side mirror down just so I can watch the magic happen.:wub:

That's the first thing that gets chucked on GT-Rs and 300Zs for people that actually drive fast.

Maybe it works better for parking rather then driving?

it technically works exactly like our if guys would learn how to read.

open front...HOLY CRAP. just like the gt...

center diff...again just like our gt. but iirc a 50:50 max split. could change once the tsx comes.

rear iirc is electronically controlled...ours is not. could be a battle.

please...for the love of religion...read...

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=RL_Learn_FeaturesOptions_Performance_SHAWD_SHAWDOverview

Try putting your eyeballs over the part about their rear diff again. No Subaru can do what it can do...actively reduce torque to one wheel and send it to the other in non-slipping conditions, enhancing cornering in situations where no slip is happening at all. Think two little clutches on each driveshaft that can be electronically controlled. Only three systems in the US will/can currently do that. Evo, SHAWD, and Saab's new system.

IT IS NOT just electronically controlled as you state.

Archived