LegacyGT.com

Tranny Blew at 57k

el3ment

So, I'm ready for my fourth TOB. I swapped in a new ACT clutch and flywheel in June '07, including a new TOB. A couple of weeks later, it started chirping. Chirp goes away with slightest pressure on clutch pedal. They put in a new TOB and all was well for about a year. Now the chirping is back and getting louder/less intermittent. I've been wondering if this is caused by the ACT clutch setup? Something maybe doesn't fit to spec and is prematurely wearing the bearing?

Also, right after the clutch change, I started getting a buzzing noise when decelerating. I'd take my foot off the gas and it buzz for about a half second. Now its so harsh that I barely ever take my foot of the accelerator without also using the clutch. The guy at the shop where I had the work done thinks it's something to do with the tranny, and that it started because I have the ACT flywheel instead of a stock dual mass. I'm wondering if I should switch to a 06 WRX dual mass flywheel, since I need to replace the TOB... Any thoughts?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally got my car back from the dealership. Everything seems to be working, for now. After my TOB melted onto the input shaft and then broke apart, they replaced it. I got my car back and I hear this horrible grinding noise coming from the transmission and like most stealerships they claim they didn't hear it. I take it to another dealer and they say someone's worked on my transmission and opened it. They lift the car run through all the gears and have me listen to all the noise coming from the trans. I take it back to the original dealership and tell them what the other one found and explain that I filed a complaint with SOA. They said they'd take care of me. One week later I get my car back with no noise and shifting smooth as ever. When I looked at the invoice they replace about 3 different bearing in the transmission a bunch of seals and my center differential. I talked to them this morning and they changed out my entire center diff. Said it was whining like crazy and they thought they should replace it just in case. So practically new tranny for me, all under warentee, even after 73k on the odometer. Although they fixed the problem I will never go back to Herb Gordon Subaru in Silver Spring, MD again. They left a control arm bolt completely lose which I found after getting under the car and didn't tell me they had to work on the transmission. So because of dishonesty and safety, I'll be going to another dealership from now on.

Heck, I replaced the clutch/fw/TOB under 40k with ACT due to clutch slipping under load and TOB whistling when pedal depressed.

I just wonder how much longer before I'm back in there again....

To think I believed I would put 200k on this car before selling.... Now not so sure.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

It appears the majority of these issues are on 05 LTG's. Looks like Subaru had enough problems to make a change, without acknowledging it. I guess they didn't want to fork over the $ to resolve the recall/warranty claims. Anyone know if there are different part numbers for 05? It sucks that so many people have been affected.

i have a slit squeel when my clutch is pressed to the floor in the morning. it continues for a couple of miles but once the car is warmed up i dont hear it anymore. is this a sign of a bad TOB?

More than likely. Don't think a "belt" would be affected by the the clutch being depressed, so it's likely your TOB.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Got the ACT clutch and flywheel put in this weekend. After the trans was taken out, it was very apparent that I didn't need the snout repair kit. The trans already has a "sleeve" that the TOB rides on and it does not ride on the input shaft at all! Not sure if any other MT owners who had their clutch done have the kit installed, maybe my trans version didn't need it. I had the TSK3 kit, I know SBT said we should use the TSK2 but the place I ordered from didn't have that kit. TSK3 is for 06+ Turbo 5MT trans. The sleeve from the kit wouldn't go onto the trans without hammering so definitely not needed as hamering it on would not be a good idea, plus the part the TOB rides on doesn't spin. I just installed the setup with the TOB that came with the ACT clutch and that's it. Clutch pedal moves free and easy with no issues. I'd interested in hearing what other people have to say about their MT trans and whether this kit is needed or not.

Well add me to the list. About a month ago I noticed a not normal noise on cold startup. Today I was driving and felt a strange pulsation under the clutch pedal once or twice. Then tonight when I drove to get pizza I realized something was VERY wrong and ran every stop sign on the way home and parked it. My 2005 LGT has just over 66000 miles on it with zero mods. Looks like tomorrow will be a fun filled day of transmission R&R.

The car has been great until now... just outside the warranty limits. Bummer.

Aloha

Well add me to the list. About a month ago I noticed a not normal noise on cold startup. Today I was driving and felt a strange pulsation under the clutch pedal once or twice. Then tonight when I drove to get pizza I realized something was VERY wrong and ran every stop sign on the way home and parked it. My 2005 LGT has just over 66000 miles on it with zero mods. Looks like tomorrow will be a fun filled day of transmission R&R.

The car has been great until now... just outside the warranty limits. Bummer.

Aloha

Crappy man I thought the sound was one of the belts squealing I swapped em out and the same day the TOB committed suicide I got my PDM TSK3 that i NEED install

OK, so I'm getting mine done before my tranny is destroyed..

Do I need the TSK2 or TSK3?

And once again, is this everything I need?

I would try to get the TSK2. I have the TSK3 kit and when I did my clutch the kit wouldn't fit. The kit comes with everything you need.

The installer who did my install said he could get it on with some muscle but it would never come off again and this was without the set screws! Needless to say, I decided not to have the TSK3 kit installed. Now that I've seen the shaft/sleeve that the TOB rides on, I really believe it's not a snout/shaft/sleeve issue, it's more of a TOB issue. The life span or reliability of the TOB isn't quite as good as one would think.

Much appreciated..

My impression on how this works is that the sleeve keeps the TOB & snout from making contact, which is how the grooving & eventual failure occurs. So it basically extends the life/reliability of the TOB by adding a harder contact surface..

Much appreciated..

My impression on how this works is that the sleeve keeps the TOB & snout from making contact, which is how the grooving & eventual failure occurs. So it basically extends the life/reliability of the TOB by adding a harder contact surface..

If you want to be safe, I would give the TSK2 a try. I've already confirmed the TSK3 doesn't work. In the end I wish I had the right kit for peace of mind, but under my circumstances it couldn't be done since I had the wrong kit.

I'm doing it..

So subaruWRXparts told me to check for the production date to determine if I need the TSK2 or TSK3..

If it's a 2005/5 or before then I need the TSK2, otherwise if the production date is after 2005/5 then I need a TSK3..

Build date of Aug., 2004 = TSK2

siht.. im not liking this :spin::spin:

i bought my LGT from a dealer in Richmond, VA and they told me they just replaced the clutch. i was skeptical, considering i bought it with 22k miles on it. but assumed they would do it right.

just since it got cold i heard the TOB a couple mornings. affter it warms up it goes away. i have 29k now, i guess its still under warranty.

Well my 2008 spec.B has had what I thought was the dreaded "normal no cause for alarm" whine that everyone so commonly complains about on this thread. I bought my car brand new with 187 miles on it and it was whining from day 1. In my heart I knew that my car being the only spec.B in the area when the 2008's were out it was test drove hard. I questioned the dealership about this before I bought my car (keep in mind I worked there at that time) and they said (service department) that my whine was normal and not to be concerned. 1 year and 2 months later with 8,000 miles on the car (yeah I don't drive hardly at all) and the whine is way louder and way more annoying. I take the car back to get a second opinion and now they say "the noise is not normal and sounds like a bad bearing". I schedule an appointment this past Friday and they take my car in to get it looked it. One of my really good friends is the Master Tech and the only person I trust with my car and he calls me Sunday (his day off) to inform me that 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gears and Bearings are bad. He said the initial cause was an assembly error from the factory and the bearing(s) had improper clearances. He said there was nothing broke in the transmission so now way possible for warranty to be denied. Needless to say my inistal gripe about the whine was valid and I was correct that "something just wasn't right with my car". I found out the day before yesterday that if everything goes smoothly (a lot of work ahead of me at the dealership) I will have my car back the first part of next week. I am excited to have my car back, but also relieved that my car is now going to be assembled properly. LOL

*subscribed*

Archived