Tranny Blew at 57k

el3ment

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this the other day..

Link to thread:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=23663&highlight=tranquil

TSK 2, installed..http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/ej22t/29/DCP_5949.JPG

The kit comes with everything you need.. Only part left is finding someone to open the sucker up, and install it..

I found this the other day..

Link to thread:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=23663&highlight=tranquil

TSK 2, installed..http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/ej22t/29/DCP_5949.JPG

Might be a TSk2 that trans looks alot like mine minus the fact that my trans is push type. But who knows

TSK2 ordered, arriving tomorrow.. My LGT is going under the knife no later then monday morning, should have it back within 2-3 days afterwards..

I'm going to ask my friend doing the work to save the replaced TOB, and hopefully take some pics of the process..

Now all I need to do is make it 5 days without failure.. :eek:

Likely a stupid question, pardon the noobness..

Will I need to replace my tranny/diff fluid when this is installed??

If you have 30K miles (or more) on your tranny fluid (tranny fluid is also the front diff fluid), then it's time to change it out. You may potentially lose some out the rear shaft location when you take the tranny out, but that would just require a "top-off" versus a full replacement. Otherwise, no need to do anything when you replace the TOB.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Where is the closest place to SoCal that I might be able to order a TSK2 from? I've been on the PDM website and the dealer list is pretty short. Before I start calling every Subaru dealer in SoCal I was hoping someone on here that is running one could share where they purchased theirs ;)

Mine was ordered from Exeter Subaru in NH.. Only took two days shipping for me, but I would think it might take a minute longer to SoCal..

Did you get your's installed already or did I miss that in a previous post?

OK, well who couldn't see this coming..

The TSK2 sleeve doesn't fit over the input shaft & the TOB ears don't fit the clutch fork.. Looks like I need the TSK3.. I checked the production date of the car & asked in email if the part was correct, which it seemed correct..

My clutch is down to ~10% life too..

OK, well who couldn't see this coming..

The TSK2 sleeve doesn't fit over the input shaft & the TOB ears don't fit the clutch fork.. Looks like I need the TSK3.. I checked the production date of the car & asked in email if the part was correct, which it seemed correct..

My clutch is down to ~10% life too..

I have a TSK3 kit at home I couldn't install due to it not fitting my tranny. Want to trade your TSK2 for my TSK3? I just don't have the grease packet anymore is all. Let me know, I can ship it out tomorrow if needed.

That sounds great, but..

I thought the sleeve was too small to fit over the input shaft in your tranny too..?

Yes, that is the case for me too. Maybe these aren't made to work with our cars? :confused: I've been meaning to check my production date but I keep forgetting to everytime I go to the car.

Edit: Just checked my car's production date and it's June 2004. That might be the reason why the TSK3 doesn't work for me. I just need to try the TSK2 now and see if that works.

Ok, I really do not want to order any PDM product if they are not fitting the applications they say they should. Someone mentioned it might be a Toyota... and it appears they may be correct. In one picture for a TSK? I saw they provide a sticker that says the TOB needs to be a BCA #614-147 or NACHI 60SCRN31T.

The BCA 614-147 on RockAuto.com is $17.42 + shipping. I might just purchase one and start measuring...

What I'd like to know is what TOB is used in the TSK2 kit? I'm pretty sure that my 05 LGT will need the TSK2 but I'm not sure. Curious to know specifically what TOB that kit uses.

Aloha

As an update from my end..

SubaruWRXparts has a replacement TSK3 scheduled to arrive at my address tomorrow, which is pretty quick & very helpful..

I asked Nick (their internet sales rep) to measure the sleeve of the TSK3, which was a few mm bigger then the sleeve of the TSK2, so it 'should' fit.. The ears on the TOB are distinctly different between the TSK2 & TSK3, so once again lets hope it's the right kit & it will fit properly.. Will update..

I currently have both the TSK2 & TSK3, and neither fit the input shaft diameter.. The sleeves are both the same diameter, which obviously means neither will fit.. The TSK2 TOB's ears don't fit my clutch fork, but the TSK3's TOB does.. I don't know what else to say here, I'm clueless as to how anyone has installed this kit on their 5mt LGT.. Not good.. I'm going to install a new OEM TOB along with a new OEM clutch disk & PP..

In other news, my TOB was not significantly worn.. I was told it's a good idea to replace it now, but otherwise it didn't appear to be failing anytime soon..

Has anyone contacted PDM directly to see if they have an LGT 5MT-specific TSK? I know the TSK2 fit directly on my 98 LGT with no issues and the TSK3 was supposed to fit up to the Turbo versions so I'm clueless now too. Guess my fix will be to install a Spec B 6MT - that will fix this. Cliff Notes: If you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.:lol:

has anyone contacted pdm directly to see if they have an lgt 5mt-specific tsk? I know the tsk2 fit directly on my 98 lgt with no issues and the tsk3 was supposed to fit up to the turbo versions so i'm clueless now too. guess my fix will be to install a spec b 6mt - that will fix this. Cliff notes: If you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.:lol:

+1

This surface the TOB slides on is not difficult to reproduce. This sounds like a line from Fast Times at Ridgmont High... but my friend has an awesome CNC lathe... he can make one. I was hoping for a fast fix but I don't want to tear this apart more than I have to. My Legacy has been down for a few weeks now and with a chance of winter weather this week my current ride won't do... I need my Legacy back on the road.

BoozeRS05 - do you have a micrometer you can measure your existing TSK2 / TSK3 kits with? What does the naked eye tell you is the difference between the two?

Aloha

Archived