LegacyGT.com

Premium Fuel???

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not about the size of the boom, it's about how quickly the boom propagates. 93 burns slower than 87.

I understand that :lol:

Do you remember the time I tried to expalin how my TORCO 104 octane tune burns less fuel then my 93 tune and makes more HP?

Some members looked at me like I had 3 heads :lol:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

do people even read the stickies???? honestly, do a search :rolleyes:

and yes, it will suck when I buy my 08 STI because we only have 90 octane. That is why I use Torco... so it won't matter.

you are going to buy an 08 sti!!!!!!!!!

COOL!!

What is TORCO

I just picked up the new brochure last week. What a nice car!

I test drove and went back and forth over the spec b and the STI.

If the STI had a navigation back when I bought mine I might have gone for it.

I know an aftermarket would have fit in the STI but for 2k more and all that hassle of not having it factory.....didn't want to mess with that.

Now it has nav! But.... my car is a LITTLE bigger and I need the extra room... I'm an x-large. So the LGT made more sense....plus it is a sleeper.

Back in 06-07.... the STI stood out.... the 08 doesn't look quote so dramatic.

I understand that :lol:

Do you remember the time I tried to expalin how my TORCO 104 octane tune burns less fuel then my 93 tune and makes more HP?

Some members looked at me like I had 3 heads :lol:

Nope, don't remember... I have been ignoring power mods until I get my suspensions setup complete so that my wallet doesn't run away. :)

Let me break it down in terms everyone will understand.

93 octane makes a bigger boom then 87 octane.

Legacy's have a turbo and a trubo requires a bigger bang.

If you put 87 octane in.... that bigger bang is not achieved. this causes the engine to operate incorrectly and possible go boom :(

Actually it is the other way around.

The higher octane gas is actually LESS explosive or combustable.

The lower octane gas like 87 is MORE explosive.... thats why they have PRE-DETONATION...because it is exploding too early. or...."GOING BOOM"

but either way I think he gets the point... :)

I just purchased a 2005 Legacy GT, and for the first time when I filled up with gas I noticed a sticker which says to only use Premium unleaded. Since Gas is so expensive, I used 87 octane. Does anyone know what kind of problems down the road that may occur if I keep using the cheap stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

:rtfm:

Sorry, but you are either retarded, or a troll.

I disagree premium fuel is expensive but not sure of your perspective and if $3/tank sets you into financial peril.

There is no definitive answer if you will do appreciable damage to your engine using regular fuel. Typically you will get less power and likely less MPG offsetting any gains you hope to "save".

Enjoy your new car.

Basically if you are saving $3 per fill up and you need to fill up once a week, it will set you back a whopping $155 per year! So I say use the premium and take your wife/girlfriend/mistress/life partner to Outback instead of Morton's for your anniversary and you're about even for the year.

Actually it is the other way around.

The higher octane gas is actually LESS explosive or combustable.

The lower octane gas like 87 is MORE explosive.... thats why they have PRE-DETONATION...because it is exploding too early. or...."GOING BOOM"

but either way I think he gets the point... :)

Bigger as in longer ;)

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Virtually every car with EFI built in the last 20 years is made to run on 87, although there are mileage and power penalties

In my drives out west, once I got past Amarillo many stations only have 90 octane max, and I left in the Cobb Stage 1 93 octane with no issues.

Plus, many of you aren't always getting the octane that you think. About once a year there are busts in the Detroit area for stations caught with lower octane gas in their 91-93 tanks. And these are just the stations that got caught.

If you hear pinging/detonation on ANY octane level (on a stock engine), you have other problems that need to be addressed.

My previous performance Fords also had the Premium Fuel requirement. Pat Bedard (in C&D) had a discussion with a Ford engineer who said that later testig showed NO pinging, even with the knock sensors dosconnected, and that 91+ octane primarily provided a 3% torque gain in the midrange.

Ron

I like my car... I'll let her drink the 93 proof. ;)

Like was said before, I put 93 in all my previous cars/trucks just because I feel the extra mileage you get alone justifies the extra (minuscule) cost. :)

But to each their own, but now I understand why people are sketched about buying used Subies! ;)

I like my car... I'll let her drink the 93 proof. ;)

Like was said before, I put 93 in all my previous cars/trucks just because I feel the extra mileage you get alone justifies the extra (minuscule) cost. :)

But to each their own, but now I understand why people are sketched about buying used Subies! ;)

Yeah, percentage-wise, 93 is less of a price penalty as the cost of gas rises. When 87 is $2.00, 93 is a 10% cost penalty, but only a 6.6% cost penalty on $3.00 gas.

Buy one Tim Horton's coffee a week, rather than $tarbuck$, and you've saved the difference for a tankfull!!

Ron

Archived