LegacyGT.com

Premium Fuel???

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like was said before, I put 93 in all my previous cars/trucks just because I feel the extra mileage you get alone justifies the extra (minuscule) cost. :)

Higher octane doesn't = better mileage. If your truck or whatever calls for 87 and you're putting 91+ in there you're wasting your money.... or just giving the gasoline kings more money.

The car has a high compression engine and requires high octane fuel.

The warning sticker is there for a reason.

High compression ratios are typically considered high once they surpass 10.0:1, but that is all relative to cid, aspiration, etc... And typically, the higher the compression ratio, the higher octane fuel needed, or recommended. Computers compensate for many of the compression/fuel/air/temp/etc. issues in today's modern vehicles.

I think we all know what you meant, but to those who are interested...

Compression Ratios:

2005 Legacy 2.5 Turbo = 8.2:1

2005 WRX = 8.0:1

2005 STI = 8.2:1

2008 Legacy 2.5 = 10.0:1

2008 Legacy 2.5 turbo = 8.4:1 (bumped up in '06)

2008 Lecacy 3.0 = 10.7:1

2008 STI = 8.2:1

2008 B9 Tribeca 3.6 = 10.5: 1 vs. 2007 B9 Tribeca 3.0 10.7:1

IS ANYONE ASLEEP YET???

High compression ratios are typically considered high once they surpass 10.0:1, but that is all relative to cid, aspiration, etc... And typically, the higher the compression ratio, the higher octane fuel needed, or recommended. Computers compensate for many of the compression/fuel/air/temp/etc. issues in today's modern vehicles.

I think we all know what you meant, but to those who are interested...

Compression Ratios:

2005 Legacy 2.5 Turbo = 8.2:1

2005 WRX = 8.0:1

2005 STI = 8.2:1

2008 Legacy 2.5 = 10.0:1

2008 Legacy 2.5 turbo = 8.4:1 (bumped up in '06)

2008 Lecacy 3.0 = 10.7:1

2008 STI = 8.2:1

2008 B9 Tribeca 3.6 = 10.5: 1 vs. 2007 B9 Tribeca 3.0 10.7:1

IS ANYONE ASLEEP YET???

Nope, but almost!

The static compression ration is "almost" irrelevant on a supercharged/turbo engine, as they obviously increase the CR.

Nowadays, static CR is also irelevant on n/a engines , as you mentioned that the EFI systems can compensate. One (or more) of the current Honda engines that came out in the last couple of years has an 11:1 CR, but runs on 87 octane.

Ron

Thanks for breaking me in, it feels good. I just asked a simple question and was answered 24 hours ago, and it keeps going on...

I feel the peer pressure, I will use Premium Fuel.

Never really thought of the difference between the price 87 and 91 since I had a 06 Tacoma befire. Spending the extra 3.00, I would be a total Idiot if I didn't go with 91.

Thanks to all for the advice, and laughs...:lol:

JRotes - I dunno if Icy was directing that at you, although I can't speak for him. In any case, we're kind of jokers on here in case you couldn't tell. ;)

But yeah, we definitely beat the dead horse on this one! :lol:

Which brings us to lesson 2: give us an inch and we'll take a mile! :lol:

Welcome to the forums! :D

Just a question since we already mashed the OP's question:

What's gas cost in Cali these days? In Mass the average is about $3.27/gal for 93 octane.

Just wondering if lower octane (91) is cheaper over there or if they still hose you guys because it's the "super".

Nope, but almost!

The static compression ration is "almost" irrelevant on a supercharged/turbo engine, as they obviously increase the CR.

Nowadays, static CR is also irelevant on n/a engines , as you mentioned that the EFI systems can compensate. One (or more) of the current Honda engines that came out in the last couple of years has an 11:1 CR, but runs on 87 octane.

Thats why I said, "typically". Go back 30 years and look at the CRs, and how they were forced to drop due to gas shortages. Thanks again Federal government. They have been slowly creeping back up as the years pass. Technology is making for the higher CRs without the need for higher octane needs in some cases. Thats is why higher octane is usually recommended in high CR engines.

Thats why I said, "typically". Go back 30 years and look at the CRs, and how they were forced to drop due to gas shortages. Thanks again Federal government. They have been slowly creeping back up as the years pass. Technology is making for the higher CRs without the need for higher octane needs in some cases. Thats is why higher octane is usually recommended in high CR engines.

They didn't drop due to gas shortages, they dropped due to the mileage/emissions regs and the removal of lead from gas. Gas quality was HORRIBLE in the mid '70s. I had a high-compression built AMX, and the plugs would foul badly with a day of street driving.

They had carbs back then, and things didn't start measurably improved until the port injected engies in the mid '80s (altough my '83 Mustang GT 5.0 ran well with the stock Holley).

Ron

They didn't drop due to gas shortages, they dropped due to the mileage/emissions regs and the removal of lead from gas. Gas quality was HORRIBLE in the mid '70s. I had a high-compression built AMX, and the plugs would foul badly with a day of street driving.

They had carbs back then, and things didn't start measurably improved until the port injected engies in the mid '80s (altough my '83 Mustang GT 5.0 ran well with the stock Holley).

That means that gas was HORRIBLE in the 50s & 60s as well, and they ran high CRs for more power. I agree, there were a whole bunch of reasons for CRs dropping. Technology was the factor in gasoline, and the mechanical technology had to match the fuel quality available. That took a while. Carbs vs EFI vs DI and so on. Couple the technology of the time with forced induction, and CRs were all over the map. In race applications, almost always, high CRs translate in to more power, and almost always a higher grade fuel.:)

But im happy coz now i can go fast and round bends unlike FL.

I moved from Montana to California last year. I really, really miss the Beartooth Hwy. Have fun there...

Sorry for the off-topic post,

Ben

That means that gas was HORRIBLE in the 50s & 60s as well, and they ran high CRs for more power. I agree, there were a whole bunch of reasons for CRs dropping. Technology was the factor in gasoline, and the mechanical technology had to match the fuel quality available. That took a while. Carbs vs EFI vs DI and so on. Couple the technology of the time with forced induction, and CRs were all over the map. In race applications, almost always, high CRs translate in to more power, and almost always a higher grade fuel.:)

No, gas in the 60s was good. Tons of lead, and you could get 104 Sunoco anywhere.

In the '70s, they had to pull lead, and they didn't have their sh*t together yet as to how to do it effectively. This was compounded with the mfrs trying to make carbs wor with the new mileage and emissions regs.

That's why vans became the rage in the '70s. They were unaffected by the regs and still ran on leaded gas with no cats. Much easier to modify.

Ron

there is no reason to be more specific...you bought a car that says use premium...so use premium. you aren't saving yourself a whole lot of money by using regular.

seriously,

I've only used premium for every tank in every car I've owned. I notice I get about 2 mpg more if using premium, vs. not.

And since premium is only $0.10 more per gallon than mid-grade, $0.20 more compared to the cheap stuff... you're only spending an extra $1.30 or $2.60 per fill up (I've never had to put more than 13 gallons of gas in my car)

So when one says "fuel is so expensive" - put it in relative terms, just look at the minimal difference in cost per fuel-up

seriously,

I've only used premium for every tank in every car I've owned. I notice I get about 2 mpg more if using premium, vs. not.

So, if you have never used anything but premium how do you know that you get 2 mpg more than if you don't use it? :iam:

So, if you have never used anything but premium how do you know that you get 2 mpg more than if you don't use it? :iam:

I have the same car as three other friends.

I have the same exact pick up as two other friends.

All the while having the same driving styles and average types of trips/commutes.

Archived