LegacyGT.com

Premium Fuel???

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oic

I know it's not the greatest comparison, but when we caravan into the mountains for a ski trip and they are getting considerably worse mpg - they always ask "what's up?"

The only difference is they're using 87 octane and I'm using 91...

I know on the accord 98-02 v6 if you put anything abve the recommended grade fuel which was regular unleaded you would see a decrease in fuel mileage. The car ran at optimal level with regular octane, the car also didn't put as much hp down with putting in premium. I could find the article it was well documented and discussed about at www.v6p.net. I put in premium like a lemming for a year and half of ownership till I saw dyno numbers and mpg from a large sample size of members. Just wanted to point out that using premium on a car that is not designed to require it can be wasteful in your wallet and in terms of performance, and mpg.

I use 98 RON Premium on my 06 3.0RB (Liberty) Blitzen, that's what is recommeded by Subaru Australia. I used a lower octane fuel (95RON) once and I was averaging 11L/100km rather than the normal 9.0L/Km. Higher octane fuel is expensive but gives you more mileage, more power and cleaner engine I guess.

It's about Au$6.82 a gallon (Au$1.50/litre).

There is 91, 95, 98 and 100 RONs Downunder. I believe the lower numbers like 87 would be MON (Motor Octane Rating) not Research Octane Number (RON). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Virtually every car with EFI built in the last 20 years is made to run on 87, although there are mileage and power penalties

In my drives out west, once I got past Amarillo many stations only have 90 octane max, and I left in the Cobb Stage 1 93 octane with no issues.

Plus, many of you aren't always getting the octane that you think. About once a year there are busts in the Detroit area for stations caught with lower octane gas in their 91-93 tanks. And these are just the stations that got caught.

If you hear pinging/detonation on ANY octane level (on a stock engine), you have other problems that need to be addressed.

My previous performance Fords also had the Premium Fuel requirement. Pat Bedard (in C&D) had a discussion with a Ford engineer who said that later testig showed NO pinging, even with the knock sensors dosconnected, and that 91+ octane primarily provided a 3% torque gain in the midrange.

My LGT pings/ticks like crazy when shutdown. My last Jeep did this too, but it did it for 50k miles. I wasn't concerned untill now.

Did you mean knocking, or pinging while running??

I thought it was 'normal'..

My LGT pings/ticks like crazy when shutdown. My last Jeep did this too, but it did it for 50k miles. I wasn't concerned untill now.

Did you mean knocking, or pinging while running??

I thought it was 'normal'..

You mean that you get some ping and run-on after turning off the key?

That or pinging while running is a definite problem.

Ron

Let me break it down in terms everyone will understand.

93 octane makes a bigger boom then 87 octane.

Legacy's have a turbo and a trubo requires a bigger bang.

If you put 87 octane in.... that bigger bang is not achieved. this causes the engine to operate incorrectly and possible go boom :(

That is simple, but it is wrong. In the long run you'd just be doing the OP a disservice by explaining it that way.

Run premium, I know people who run premium in their cars and they don't even have the warning on the gas cap that it is recommended.

Don't skimp on gas.

These people are not role models, they are just wasting their money. :)

BTW fonts, the LGT doesn't have a high compression motor, it has a low compression motor with a turbo that compresses the incoming air. The only turbo cars that get away with a moderate amount of compression right now are Direct injection cars like the Mazdaspeed 3/6.

yeah but by boosting the engine you are effectively changing its dynamic compression ratio, hence the need for higher octane fuels. :)

Archived