LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

simple is good. from experience, i had set a few guidelines when i built that.

no lifting

no disconnecting hoses during brewing

needed to fit a certain spot in the garage

able to do 10+ gal batches in less than 5 hours start to finish

no siphons

no glass

i use 2 6.5 gal brew buckets with spigots. 2-3 week primary, no secondary, straight to keg.

i do ok. ;)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're bottling, it will need 3 weeks in the bottle to correctly carbonate. I recommend the 1-2-3 method as a general rule. One week in primary, two weeks in secondary and 3 weeks of conditioning/carbing in the bottle (you do want to make sure your beer is finished fermenting before you rack to bottles or you can end up with bottle bombs). You can drink it sooner but you will have much better beer if you wait the full 6 weeks.

I can wait..I thought about the keg method but its my first time and 2 cases of bottles was less commitment. Im still not sure how im going to cool the wort :spin:

Like I said a lot to read and find someone to call on game day :lol:

Very nice indeed! Have you switched over to all grain yet?

no, i have done some reading and havent put the time in to try it. still living in the easy life of extracts with some grain for flavor. one day i will have alot of time...in four more years maybe. i went in with eb50 on cornies and we split four at $22 ea. need to question multiple buys on ebay if you need that many. it does come down eventually.

it was a complete fluke, rally, that thing even fit in the camper. i got the parts to just put the third faucet on the box and get rid of the party tap i had hidden away. i have 3 full kegs for 4th of july camping.

This is what I have with the Amber Ale from here -> http://www.leeners.com

http://www.leeners.com/pictures/brewery.jpg

I don't see a boil kettle in the kit. I don't know if you have anything at home but you need to be able to boil at least 3 gallons so you will need a 4.5-5 gallon pot for a partial boil (that is where you boil a more concentrated wort then mix it with water in the fermenter after you cool it to dilute it to your target gravity.) Usually with partial boils your pot is small enough that you can put the pot in an ice bath in the sink or tote to chill it. If you do full boils you will need a 7 gallon pot, a propane burner and a chiller.

I don't see a boil kettle in the kit. I don't know if you have anything at home but you need to be able to boil at least 3 gallons so you will need a 4.5-5 gallon pot for a partial boil (that is where you boil a more concentrated wort then mix it with water in the fermenter after you cool it to dilute it to your target gravity.) Usually with partial boils your pot is small enough that you can put the pot in an ice bath in the sink or tote to chill it. If you do full boils you will need a 7 gallon pot, a propane burner and a chiller.

I have a big ass pasta pot thats probably 4-5gals...I need to measure it :spin:

Should I just go get a 7gal pot for future reference?

If your going to stick with brewing I would recommend it. It is an investment though. When you get boils that big you will need a propane burner to boil it (bayour classic is $45 at home depot). You can boil on the stove but it will take F-O-R-E-V-E-R to reach boil. You'll need an immersion chiller to chill it ($50 or so) and a cheap stainless or aluminum pot will cost you around $70-$80. I'd do a couple batches with what you have then upgrade if you decide if you want to stick with it.

if you can, get 5 ' of 1/4 copper tubing or so and rig it onto your sink faucet. make a quick immersion chiller.

trying to cool with ice is not fun.

also, if you have a Cub foods or other large food outlet, id bet they have $10 5 gal stainless pots. works for getting started.

if you can, get 5 ' of 1/4 copper tubing or so and rig it onto your sink faucet. make a quick immersion chiller.

Pics?

trying to cool with ice is not fun.

you cant make beer sober...can ya :confused:

also, if you have a Cub foods or other large food outlet, id bet they have $10 5 gal stainless pots. works for getting started.

good call!

Im getting excited :spin:

If your going to stick with brewing I would recommend it. It is an investment though. When you get boils that big you will need a propane burner to boil it (bayour classic is $45 at home depot). You can boil on the stove but it will take F-O-R-E-V-E-R to reach boil. You'll need an immersion chiller to chill it ($50 or so) and a cheap stainless or aluminum pot will cost you around $70-$80. I'd do a couple batches with what you have then upgrade if you decide if you want to stick with it.

i stove boil and yes its forever to boil, but what is worse is i dont have the temp control you have with gas heat. you turn down the flame, the boil rate responds, on the stove it just keeps boiling for a while until the entire burner heat responds. stove=alot of taking the pot off the heat to bring down the boil. not great for brewing, but a great curl workout!:lol: i need to get gas burner!!

smaller version of this:

http://home.comcast.net/~bdg2/brewery/DSCF0603.JPG

no, you can not make beer while sober.

We only post pictures of IC's with SUBARU'S in the backround on this site. Shame on you!

That's a beefy chiller!

hope youre not knocking my rockin toro... dont worry, that saturn is looooong gone. ;)

and yeah, that chiller will take 13 gallons of boiling wort to 75 deg in about 20 min. in the meantime, the garden gets a drink.

• 2 weeks later...

i dunno....cheap bas-tard...you can put the emphasis anywhere you like. on another note...whats the benefit to cooling the work by its self vice combining with three gallons of really cold water to bring the temp down to pitch yeast? I havent been able to find an actual reason. thanks.

Archived