LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look pretty slick. Do they feel solid in your hand or do they rattle around a little bit.

On a side note. Don't ever use kegkits.com. It's a pretty small opperation and the guy that runs it has no idea what he's doing. I had some problems with an order from them and it practically took an act of congress just to get the guy to call me back.:mad: Pretty frustrating.

the handle is pretty solid. the shank from the faucet threads into the bottom of the black insert to keep it all together. i havent made labels, so i cant speak to longevity yet with taking them apart for changeout. i will follow up when i get some use on them.

one of the handles i received originally was stripped out on the end and kegworks shipped out a replacement as soon as i hung up the phone. i have had no problems with them at all!!

• 3 weeks later...

i need to see how close they are to me. closest so far is jasper's in nashua...alot of stuff in a little place including beers from around the world in bottles.

alright, i may have a problem...i have 9 kegs now and 6 have beer in them. austinhomebrew has kept me up on copy beers so the last three will be full soon. i gutted the beer fridge down stairs and have four corny kegs and co2 on the bottom shelf. this still leaves me the two drawers and the door space for beer brought over and the two in the kegerator upstairs. six nice and cold ones. if i knew the fridge was that easy, i might have skipped the kegerator. good times this summer.

building a two keg travel box that will be fiberglassed so i can ice two and either have a jockey box on top or tap out the sides and pipe in the co2. palns coming together for a weekend build. this is definitely out of control now...

no, i have two primary and two secondary fermenters. i have six cold on tap and three aging for quick change out. i have enough traffic through the house to go through two kegs a month. this gives me a month of aging in a keg before it goes on tap. after a month it def tastes better and has had enough time to clear up.

no, i have two primary and two secondary fermenters. i have six cold on tap and three aging for quick change out. i have enough traffic through the house to go through two kegs a month. this gives me a month of aging in a keg before it goes on tap. after a month it def tastes better and has had enough time to clear up.

now that ill have my own home brew in the next month, the traffic coming through your house might decrease and you will need to drink my rations :lol:

i started sanitizing last night. i should be good to do today for brewing either a honeyweizen or nut brown.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3466

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3538

buy a bunch of grolsh with the re-sealable tops. my girlfriend's father used to brew and said he had about 100 of them he would bottle his own beer after brewing with limited/no hassle. thats all I got

buy a bunch of grolsh with the re-sealable tops. my girlfriend's father used to brew and said he had about 100 of them he would bottle his own beer after brewing with limited/no hassle. thats all I got

thats why i am building a kegorator :spin:

thats why i am building a kegorator :spin:

nice my buddy had one at school used to get kegs all the time and keep em in there. had the C02 tank and the spout on top & all:wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok my kit arrived last weekend. I got the buckets, thermometer, some tubes, 48 bottled and 2 pre-made blends; basically the premium starter kit. I'm going to give it a try this Sunday and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all your advice guys!

I'm on my 12th batch of beer this year. That would make 60 gallons made a drank in 2008, or 1ga. drank every 3 days with my friends of course otherwise I'd be German.:lol: (b)

I've got another 12 gallons of wine too. 6 ga. pinot noir (bottled), and 6 ga. of sauvingon blanc in 2ndary. These are my first batches of wine. Wish me luck.

Ok my kit arrived last weekend. I got the buckets, thermometer, some tubes, 48 bottled and 2 pre-made blends; basically the premium starter kit. I'm going to give it a try this Sunday and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Read section one of this before you get started. Tons of good info that will make your brew day go smoother.

http://howtobrew.com/intro.html

I'm on my 12th batch of beer this year. That would make 60 gallons made a drank in 2008, or 1ga. drank every 3 days with my friends of course otherwise I'd be German.:lol: (b)

I've got another 12 gallons of wine too. 6 ga. pinot noir (bottled), and 6 ga. of sauvingon blanc in 2ndary. These are my first batches of wine. Wish me luck.

How much more equipment do you need to do wine? I've thought about it. Is the wine any good?

To do wine you need a 7.5ga bucket for primary and a 6ga. for 2ndary.

It's a little less work to do wine, as you don't have to boil anything, but it takes a lot longer overall. It takes 2months before you can bottle, with 2 rackings in the 2mo. Then rest in bottles for at least 3mo.

I'll see in 3mo if the wine is good. I just bottled this weekend. It comes out to be $4 a bottle for good wine.

Also try to get juice that's 4ga or more so you have to add the least amt of water to.

To do wine you need a 7.5ga bucket for primary and a 6ga. for 2ndary.

It's a little less work to do wine, as you don't have to boil anything, but it takes a lot longer overall. It takes 2months before you can bottle, with 2 rackings in the 2mo. Then rest in bottles for at least 3mo.

I'll see in 3mo if the wine is good. I just bottled this weekend. It comes out to be $4 a bottle for good wine.

Also try to get juice that's 4ga or more so you have to add the least amt of water to.

So that would net you 30 bottles or so right? Does the $4 a bottle include the cost of bottles or have you been raiding recycle bins? And just out of curiosity, what temperature does wine need to ferment at?

Archived