LegacyGT.com

specb LCA bushings

hammerhead

STI (or SpecB, same part #) is *different* from stock LGT. I had compared both side by side. Rubber durometer does not seem to be appreciably different indeed, but part is different.

I believe the former is made in Japan, while the LGT is not, and so it may be of a better quality. I have not heard about STI or SpecB bushings being torn, while it's common for the standard ones.

Here is a conversation that I had with Fred Beans earlier today:

Ryan Tomol: Hello, How can I help you?

You: I am looking to get a price on the rear bushing of the front lower control arm for an 08+ sti.

Ryan Tomol: oem?

You: Yes please.

Ryan Tomol: $27 per bushing sir

You: Great, could you provide me with the part number so that I may order a pair?

Ryan Tomol: 20204ag011

You: Thanks, I have a few questions. These will be going on an 05 Legacy GT. I have read a few posts on legacygt.com stating that the 08+ sti bushing is the same bushing as comes stock on the LGT, but it is of a stiffer material. Do you see any truth to this, looking at the application of this part number I find it hard to believe.

Ryan Tomol: I checked this out for a customer of mine out in Cali actually as he wanted to upgrade to something a bit stiffer, but not go all out with ones like the whiteline

Ryan Tomol: the mold # was identical on both

Ryan Tomol: I saw no difference in weight, or feel of them at least with grip and weighing them on our scale and trying to manually squeeze them

Ryan Tomol: to me it looked like the same part # wrapped in a different packaged stamped with a new part #

Ryan Tomol: based on my observation at least, I saw nothing differentiating them other than the part # on the package

Looking at the applications of that part nubmer they included the forester, n/a impreza, wrx, outback, spec b and the sti.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went quickly to the Perrin PSRS. I was warned the ride was harsh.:lol: Each little crack in the road was like driving over a 4x8.:eek: I changed them out to the AVO positive caster and Whiteline steering rack bushings. Double win imo. The ride at high speeds is very very smooth and steering is lightning quick. :)

^Something wrong with the AVO?

I like my AVO bushings, don't get me wrong. I've just been a big fan of the longevity of Whiteline Products since we've been using them on our Subies since 1999. I also like the fact that with the WL ones you can choose your caster adjustment from none to max. The AVO one is always offset.

-mike

I too have seen the STi and LGT bushings side by side. When I started this my local Subaru dealer ordered 1 of each so I could see if they were dimensionally different. To Uncle Mats point I couldn't find evidence of 08 and up STi drivers having problems with their bushings. If you need bushings right away buy thr STi bushings, if you can wait buy the Group N from Rallispec. Poly bushings will eventually squeak and need to be lubed, rubber bushings will be quiet and maintenance free. Be sure to replace the front bushings with 08 STi ones. The whole goal of this exercise is to keep the LCA moving up and down only, the stock bushings, including the top hats, are soft enough to allow the LCA to move in multiple axises which greatly effects handling.

I too have seen the STi and LGT bushings side by side. When I started this my local Subaru dealer ordered 1 of each so I could see if they were dimensionally different. To Uncle Mats point I couldn't find evidence of 08 and up STi drivers having problems with their bushings. If you need bushings right away buy thr STi bushings, if you can wait buy the Group N from Rallispec. Poly bushings will eventually squeak and need to be lubed, rubber bushings will be quiet and maintenance free. Be sure to replace the front bushings with 08 STi ones. The whole goal of this exercise is to keep the LCA moving up and down only, the stock bushings, including the top hats, are soft enough to allow the LCA to move in multiple axises which greatly effects handling.

I've had my AVO Poly ones in for almost 2 years now. 2 winters and 2 summers of tracking etc. Haven't had to relube them and they don't squeek. So I'll let you know when poly ones start doing that. While I agree that poly usually do make noise in this particular application they aren't.

-mike

I've had my AVO Poly ones in for almost 2 years now. 2 winters and 2 summers of tracking etc. Haven't had to relube them and they don't squeek. So I'll let you know when poly ones start doing that. While I agree that poly usually do make noise in this particular application they aren't.

-mike

Same here, no issues with my AVO LCA bushings on my Outback.

Next I need to get the AVO steering bushings installed but that will require the alignment to get done when they drop the steering column.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Great thread going on here. :-) Part number for the sti 08 is also listed as the same for my forester 09 as per our dealer here in Manila.

My bushing is already torn, less than 30,000 kms ( 18000 plus miles).

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5411/screenshot103q.jpg

Thinking if I should just get the sti 08 bushing at $30 each from our dealer or get the whiteline at $120 for a set. I currently have the whiteline diff inserts and rear camber bushing. Might as well stiffen up the front ? Aside from the kca334, there's another bushing in front that can be replaced right? Since Im taking it off, might as well machine press the other. :-)

Regards,

Mark

Ordered the 08/09 STI front & rear bushings from Fred Bean's (20204AG011 & 20204AG030) -- they arrived a couple days ago.

Ryan at Fred Bean's had warned me that the STI rear bushings looked identical to the stock Legacy GT ones -- he wasn't kidding!

I'm hoping that the STI ones use a harder durometer (stiffer) rubber but it's hard to tell (they don't feel that different to my uncalibrated fingernails...). Appearance-wise, I can see no difference at all -- the rubber is the same shape, cut-outs and all.

There is definitely a difference in price though: $26.51ea for the STI versions vs. $8.26ea for the stock ones. I'm hoping that I didn't just pay 3x as much for the identical parts... (OTOH, they're still cheaper than the SuperPro urethanes and the Group N ones sold by Rallispec [~$55 each].)

Not sure when I'll have chance to install these, but I'll post my impressions after I've had a chance to drive around on 'em.

Anyone interested in the SuperPro urethane ones I'll be taking off?

Any updates for us Mike. Thinking of ordering the STI ones for mine, i only replaced them about 15,000kms ago and noticed a lot of wear on them already when i was doing the brakes. So are the front ones solid rubber with no cuts like the LGT ones?

My SpecB bushings had cuts in them just like my 5EAT. My bushings showed some wear at 16k miles. I replaced them with the Whiteline bushings. Very happy.

Easy trick on the SpecB... use the oven. I didn't even need my press to put the new one is. Pressed the old out, set the oven at 550 cooked the arms for 30-45 minutes, new bushings dropped right in. I replaced the front bushings too, so I was not concerned with cooking them. They were the biatch to get out, lol.

My SpecB bushings had cuts in them just like my 5EAT. My bushings showed some wear at 16k miles. I replaced them with the Whiteline bushings. Very happy.

Easy trick on the SpecB... use the oven. I didn't even need my press to put the new one is. Pressed the old out, set the oven at 550 cooked the arms for 30-45 minutes, new bushings dropped right in. I replaced the front bushings too, so I was not concerned with cooking them. They were the biatch to get out, lol.

HI, how's the ride with the whitelines? How much did you get it for, $125?

The ride in very nice. Not sure what I paid, I bought a lot at once. I am sure I paid less than retail.

Online? Where? I got some other wl needs :) I just ordered the kca334, getting it in 2 weeks.

Any updates for us Mike. Thinking of ordering the STI ones for mine, i only replaced them about 15,000kms ago and noticed a lot of wear on them already when i was doing the brakes. So are the front ones solid rubber with no cuts like the LGT ones?

Sorry, no updates yet -- just haven't had a chance to get the new STi ones installed...

The front STi ones do NOT have the cutouts; the rear STi bushings DO have cutouts, identical to the stock GT ones (but I'm hoping the maybe is a bit harder).

Sorry, no updates yet -- just haven't had a chance to get the new STi ones installed...

The front STi ones do NOT have the cutouts; the rear STi bushings DO have cutouts, identical to the stock GT ones (but I'm hoping the maybe is a bit harder).

Thanks for info Mike? you have an online link to where you ordered them from or did you just get them from Subaru dealer(20204AG011 & 20204AG030

)?

@Spartan how would you install them yourself? I thought you need a hydraulic press to get them in and out?

Cheers

Self install is easy. Press can be purchased for about $100.

are the control arms easy to take off? anyone have a walkthrough? I'm sure they are easy enough to do, haven't really looked into it yet.

are the control arms easy to take off? anyone have a walkthrough? I'm sure they are easy enough to do, haven't really looked into it yet.

Arms are very easy to remove. I believe there is a walk through posted on the forum.

I wasn't going to install them as I don't have a press, but I am sure I can find a way to get the control arms off and remove the old bushings. I will just take them somewhere to get the new bushings pressed in. Should only be $20 or so.

Archived