LegacyGT.com

Calling all SUSPENSION GURUS!!!

sofi

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ yep. Had ion's on stock struts for about 18 months. Very nice set up. My roads have turned crappy and swapped to JDM GT Rev A Bilsteins and Swifts. The Bilsteins just allow for a lot more control. Both nice set ups, but the edge for sure goes to swapping out struts.

I was trying to keep my suspension under 2k, but after looking at some Ohlins and KWs, I may need to re-think that. Sometimes you gotta put out when you want the best.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/brakes-suspension-stiffening/47238-new-custom-rce-coilover-packages-moton-kw-ohlins.html

What do you guys think of these? ^^^

...which do you think would be best for what I'mn trying to accomplish?

Whoa, that's an old thread of ours. Most of that stuff is STi specific and not intended for the Legacy. And out of date :)

The best set-up that we've been on are the Ohlins Sportline for Legacy. Little bit expensive though.

Honestly, I think you'd be very happy with either KW Variant 2's or our RCE Tarmac I's (modified KW Variants). Still reasonably priced, but some of the best ride quality you'll find in a coilover with great performance too. Corrosion resistant, great European valving, lots of travel, great warranty.

- Andrew

410-579-1501

Whoa, that's an old thread of ours. Most of that stuff is STi specific and not intended for the Legacy. And out of date :)

The best set-up that we've been on are the Ohlins Sportline for Legacy. Little bit expensive though.

Honestly, I think you'd be very happy with either KW Variant 2's or our RCE Tarmac I's (modified KW Variants). Still reasonably priced, but some of the best ride quality you'll find in a coilover with great performance too. Corrosion resistant, great European valving, lots of travel, great warranty.

- Andrew

410-579-1501

Sweet, thanks! Which would give the softest dd ride for my poor, damaged neck (accident years ago)? ...ne way you can send me some pricing? My spring fund will be ready in a couple months.

as a rule are coilovers better than matching struts and spring?

If so, the Tein Basic coilovers would be cheaper than the Bilstien HD conversion kit with Swifts or especially Pinks.

How do the HD's stack up against the JDM spec b bilstiens (any version)?

Andrew,

Are the Ohlins Sportline you speak of the coilovers or the fixed perch struts. I see you offer both from Ohlins.

Thanks!

Edit: I found my answer. I hadn't looked closely enough. The Sportline's are indeed coilovers.

How are the Ohlins fixed perch struts on the Legacy?

there was a lot of used jdm bilsteins with pinks, swifts, etc in the market place a couple months ago for $600-1000. i would just wait. thats what i did. got my entire setup for $650 and it was worth the wait.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I have KW v.2 on my car for awhile and I really like them. I have mine set at 1/4" below max height. I also have 19x7.5 w/225/35/19. Racecomp (they are a site vendor) has a version made for them by KW that were about $1300 shipped. I paid around $1600 for my KW's. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/005920.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/112317.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/112326.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/112332.jpg Even thought the spring are 7k all the way around they ride very smooth even with the 35 series tires and 19". It corners very well. I also have other suspension upgrades. Hope that helps.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

as a rule are coilovers better than matching struts and spring?

If so, the Tein Basic coilovers would be cheaper than the Bilstien HD conversion kit with Swifts or especially Pinks.

Not necessarily....there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

- Andrew

Andrew,

Are the Ohlins Sportline you speak of the coilovers or the fixed perch struts. I see you offer both from Ohlins.

Thanks!

Edit: I found my answer. I hadn't looked closely enough. The Sportline's are indeed coilovers.

How are the Ohlins fixed perch struts on the Legacy?

We have a customer with Pink springs who loves them. Definitely a milder version of the Sportlines, and the rear shock has a couple different spring perch locations so they are kind of height adjustable.

- Andrew

there was a lot of used jdm bilsteins with pinks, swifts, etc in the market place a couple months ago for $600-1000. i would just wait. thats what i did. got my entire setup for $650 and it was worth the wait.

:eek: ...tell me more.

Aside fron the ohlins sprotline coilover set, are there any other higher end coilover sets that are available for the BL/BP legacy?

There's some of the STi Japan stuff....made by Bilstein and pretty expensive. Never had a chance to try it myself though.

We can get them....IIRC the price is at least 3k though.

- Andrew

HD's are reported to be 20% stiffer then spec b Bilsteins (JDM GT Rev C). That would put them in line with JDM GT Rev A's. JDM spec B Bilsteins would be even firmer.

There's some of the STi Japan stuff....made by Bilstein and pretty expensive. Never had a chance to try it myself though.

We can get them....IIRC the price is at least 3k though.

- Andrew

Do you have any pics, links or specs on them? Im interested.

I think we had some of them in one of our old old vendor threads. Can't find it now.

Pretty sure they were 6k/8k rates, adjusted compression and rebound together, had helper springs, and were single height adjustable. Bilstein is known for great valving and ride quality, and I'm sure these lived up to that.

- Andrew

It's actually kg/mm, a measure of spring rate. 1 kg/mm = 55.9 psi. Stock USDM springs are approximately 200 psi (3.6 kg/mm) front and 300 psi (5.4 kg/mm) rear. I believe pinks are 3.9 kg/mm front and 5.9 kg/mm rear, roughly 8% stiffer front and 9% stiffer rear than USDM springs. Provas are approximately 21% stiffer front and 24% stiffer rear than USDM springs.

:offtopic:

I'm confused... kg/mm does not translate to pressure even remotely. Pressure is a measure of force (or mass*gravity) over an area (mm^2). A Pascal (145.04E-6 PSI) is 1 N/(m^2). A Newton (N) is 1 kg*m/(s^2). Put that together and you have 1 Pa = 1 (kg*m/(s^2))/(m^2), which looks nothing like kg/mm.

Spring rate is a measure of how much force it will take to compress the spring a given amount. If you have a 10kg load and a 1kg/mm spring, the spring will compress 10mm from it's free length (assuming linear spring rate and long enough spring to be compressed that much).

:soap_box:

:offtopic:

I'm confused... kg/mm does not translate to pressure even remotely. Pressure is a measure of force (or mass*gravity) over an area (mm^2). A Pascal (145.04E-6 PSI) is 1 N/(m^2). A Newton (N) is 1 kg*m/(s^2). Put that together and you have 1 Pa = 1 (kg*m/(s^2))/(m^2), which looks nothing like kg/mm.

I was referring to spring rate, not pressure. I apologize for using psi instead of pounds/inch. I'll fix the units in my original post. I was referring to converting spring rates that are in SAE units (pounds/inch) to metric (kg/mm). 1 kg = 2.2 pounds. 1 inch = 25.4 mm. Ergo, 1 lb/in = 55.9 kg/mm.

Archived