LegacyGT.com

RalliTek 5EAT “Comfort” Transmission Mount Bushing – Review

SWP-LegacyGT

Well I finally found the time to install the bushing. Some thoughts about the install........

First of all, pay attention when you put everything back together....http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89106

:stupid:

The directions that come with the bushing are very helpful. I was ready to remove the midpipe as directed in a set of instructions I found from Subaru. Installing the bushing in to the mount was easier than I thought it would be. I didn't need a vise or anything, I just used a ton of the grease and it went right in. One warning though, I just placed the mount on the floor and pushed, lets just say that the grease doesn't exactly wipe up well.....:lol:

Other than my little issue the install went easy. Now I can't wait to get it fixed and really try this out.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just installed this tonight - based on a short test drive, I like it a lot. Definite improvement in the feel of the car both when shifting and under accel/decel. There's a little bit more NVH on hard acceleration, but it's the good "feel the power" kind of NVH.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

:whore:

I do like the change and the NVH is not very noticeable. My only question is what grease came with the bushing? I bet it would work very well on my squeaky RSB..... I used the grease that everyone recommended when I installed it, but I need to go back and re-grease it. Also if anyone is wondering, my shop told me to leave the bolt alone that I broke off in the trans housing. They are afraid they might cause damage if they tried getting the bolt out...............:(

• 1 month later...

I thought it was pretty easy - 2-3, depending on how much work you've done on your car before. Probably took me 30 minutes to an hour to get everything out (that includes sitting around waiting for PB blaster to soak into the bolts, but doesn't include replacing a 14mm ratchet that picked that day to crack), maybe 10-15 minutes of fiddling with the greased-up insert itself (a vise for getting it in was key), and another 15-20 minutes to put everything back.

I just used the instructions that came with mine - did they not send you any?

Team Pony Express

I didn't even open the box yet :D

Just about the farthest I've gone to touching my car has been the DRL mod, removal of intake silencer, cabin filter and helped a friend swap my TMIC. If this involves screws that involve regular tools I should be OK.

Yep, you just need a few sockets, wrenches, a vise and (in my case) a breaker bar for a few of the more stubborn bolts. It's a bit more involved than the intake silencer (that's the only one of those I've done...), but mostly because you're underneath the car and there are more bolts. I think the instructions have a list of what you need.

Don't forget to support the transmission with your jack! :lol:

Team Pony Express

I have few questions before purchasing one, since, I usually put a lot of time and effort researching on products so that I know exactly what I will experience if I upgrade them :).

1. Most of you guys ,who already installed it, mentioned that the NVH decrease the more you drive it. Does it mean that the "faster shift" stays the same while the NVH decrease or both decrease?

2. I wouldn't mind about little more vibration (unless it is the case where it worsen already existing rattles). However, what kind of sound will I be hearing after I install this bushing?

More engine sound? exaust sound? Gear sound (which I don't even know what it sounds like)

From one of the post that I read, the sound added is some weird gear noise which is loud enough to make turbo/bov less audible. If it is more engine/exhaust sound = me likey

3. When I shift the gears in manual mode after doing this mod, will the transmission "actually" shift faster (ex: 0.5 sec delay stock vs 0.3 sec delay upgraded mount) or it just "feels" smoother/faster?

Thanks in advance.

it doesnt actually shift faster..more like the shifts feel more solid and not sloppy. i think you just get accustomed to the noise. not even my fiance hears it anymore. the colder temps bring it out a lot more than the hot weather.

That is what I thought. I can't logically understand how parts outside of the transmission can make (or feel like) less delay for both shifting and throttle response.

So when you are in the manual mode, would you say this bushings at least make you feels like it is shifting faster?

All those quotes below, lead me to believe that the bushings made transmission shift better which to me better shift = faster shifts. If it doesn't shift faster than what do you mean by "better shift"?

botbs even mentioned that it now feels like a manual car... that sounds like it eliminated delay upto some point.

While going up inclines or around corners (at various speeds) the "Stock" 5EAT can bog a bit when it shifts but with the bushing, it completely locks in and shifts for you when you need it to.

no vibration and on noise and better shifting all around.

defiantly some NVH but it feels like the tranny shifts so much better.

no more of that hit the gas and then the delayed feeling of the car

Now everytime I shift, I feel like driving a Manual car. The shift is very direct and solid. Feels like the transimission is willing to do everything for you.

just feels much more solid. my shifts felt really sloppy. i can now feel the car shift. they are still slow and pitiful but the car feels more connected to the transmission. more sport orientated and less luxury oriented is probably the best way to put it. now the valve body would greatly increase the shifting speed but thats 800 compared to 50 bucks. there also will always be a delay when using the sport shift mode since its still not a manual transmission and its controlled by electronics. if i could drive down to long island and have my car back the same day i would have the VB done already.

So basically, for every gear transitions, you will feel more shock travelling into cabin compared to stock bushings? Is it similar but less intense shock transition of stock LGTs' 1st to 2nd gear

when the car is nor warmed up? What about two members mentioning about faster throttle response?

So basically, for every gear transitions, you will feel more shock travelling into cabin compared to stock bushings? Is it similar but less intense shock transition of stock LGTs' 1st to 2nd gear

when the car is nor warmed up? What about two members mentioning about faster throttle response?

For pete's sake!! Do you not understand the difference between being beaten with a stick and a noodle???:rolleyes:

Draw yourself a picture, with the power plant on one end and the tarmac on the other. Now insert every piece of rubber along the way. Rubber absorbs energy. And so on and so forth, ad nauseum. Emphasis on nauseum.

I'm using the street version, I noticed no difference in noise and the car just shifts smoother and more solid...basically this is a part that Subaru should have included with the 5EAT. Its not some amazing part...it just makes the shifting feel appropriate as it should during acceleration.

if i were to install this bushing and not like it, can i take it out and use the stock bushing or would i have to buy an oem bushing??

This bushing is an INSERT that goes into a void in the stock bushing, not a replacement item. If you don't like it, take it out. Done.

The stock bushing has rubbery bits with open space in between (see pictures in first post on this thread - it's the black thing in the top left). This presses in to fill those gaps with hard, blue polyurethane. If you wanted, you could just press it right back out.
Team Pony Express

Archived