LegacyGT.com

Sunroof mod

ncmx5

Ugh.. I did learn how to use PIC microcontrollers for another project, but no I haven't taken the time todo this. Hopefully it won't be that tricky. Thanks for the reminder. I don't know how I manage to be so busy but I'm going to do something with this I swear! I'm going to look at the wiring diagram and ponder on it now ;-) I hate this feature fail as well as no real auto windows.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The switch itself wouldn't do anything different as the "stopping" is a time delay built into the motor control module itself.

Ahhh, ok. There was speculation the mechanism controlling the stopping was in the switch some time ago. Thanks.

• Mega Users
I have investigated and I'm currently designing a simple circuit to handle this lameness.

what about designing a simple ciruit that will auto-close the moonroof when you turn the car off as well?

volvo

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

This is from the 09 FSM...

What I find the most interesting is the integration of ABS/VDC on the roof. There must be some logic that shuts the roof if a disaster is impending. If both ABS and VDC are engaged, the roof probably closes.

I wonder if you could have a button with a timer circuit that feeds power to that wire, with a diode in the factory wiring to prevent backfeeding. Maybe?

Interesting.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

what about designing a simple ciruit that will auto-close the moonroof when you turn the car off as well?

volvo

It works, I've got a solution! Just need to move it from breadboard to a real circuit board. I'm also considering possibly adding features (if I really want to spend more time):

- auto-close on ign off

- auto tilt down when tilted up and "open" is pressed

- water sensing close (probably won't bother)

If this little device is to be installed up with the switches and motor, it's gotta be real small. So aside from the extra time, I have space limitations to consider.

I know it makes me an idiot, but I left my moonroof open on Monday when I came into work. I even put up my windshield sunshade before I locked the car & walked into the office... :rolleyes:

Tits mcgee

It works, I've got a solution! Just need to move it from breadboard to a real circuit board. I'm also considering possibly adding features (if I really want to spend more time):

- auto-close on ign off

Can that be done? It seems like power gets cut to the sunroof when you turn off the ignition (i.e. the switch doesn't work anymore). Is that just to the switch, or to the whole motor?

There is both a constant and IGN/switched power there. The control module uses the circuit that is constant (with an in-line circuit breaker apparently) to drive the motor, the IGN input is fed through the switches. I wouldn't need to add additional hardware to implement this feature, so I probably add this (probably as an optional function).

There is both a constant and IGN/switched power there. The control module uses the circuit that is constant (with an in-line circuit breaker apparently) to drive the motor, the IGN input is fed through the switches. I wouldn't need to add additional hardware to implement this feature, so I probably add this (probably as an optional function).

So, if we re-wired the switch with constant power, we could open/close the sunroof without the key? Just that'd be cool - half the time I end up having to re-insert the key and turn back to "on" mode just to close the sunroof. Of course, I guess the switch might slowly drain the battery..

So, if we re-wired the switch with constant power, we could open/close the sunroof without the key? Just that'd be cool - half the time I end up having to re-insert the key and turn back to "on" mode just to close the sunroof. Of course, I guess the switch might slowly drain the battery..

Correct you could. It would not drain the battery either. My little module works and I'm now going to add those mentioned features like the auto-close with ignition.

Correct you could. It would not drain the battery either. My little module works and I'm now going to add those mentioned features like the auto-close with ignition.

Cool.

Would it be possible to adapt your board for wagon moon roof?

I just glanced at the diagram for the wagon. I'm a bit surprised to see how different it looks. I think that my circuit will work on that as well however, there does not appear to be "constant +" as part of the sunroof circuit. They added a "power window relay" which is odd. I supposed the constant power can be taken from the map/dome lights right next door (that is if I end up requiring constant). Thats no big deal there, I wouldn't have a wagon to test it on though.

How is the sunroof in the wagon different in appearance and function?

It is a split window setup. From closed, one click pops the front part up. Two clicks moves the front part to full open position and slides the main window down and back to position one (2/3rds open). Three clicks is all the way back. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Honestly, I do a lot of holding to get it to where I want to go and I don't actually use it a lot. I'll run through it more next time I'm in the car if somebody else doesn't correct me. I'd imagine the split window functionality is quite a bit different, in terms of the operation. I have no idea how that would translate into the internal operation or how the wiring would trigger the right motors at the right times.

Okay. It was sitting in my driveway. How lazy can I be? I went out and played with it. It is as I described for the open. One, two, three separate automatic positions. First is front part only. Second is front part again to fully open at the same time as the main window goes back to a 2/3rds open position. Three clicks is all the way back on the main, no further movement on the front.

You can of course, interrupt any of the automatic movement to set positions by pushing in the opposite direction of the window travel.

The way that works is honestly fine with me. It's the close that matters to me more, as it appears to matter to you. The issue is that there are also three full clicks in three separate positions to get it closed too. From fully open, one click gets you a partial close of the rear main glass piece and the front part stays fully open. Just to be really odd, for some reason, this position is not in the same location that it was during open. Instead of being 2/3 open, it is now 1/3 open (2/3rds closed). So it's a whole new stop point for the main glass. Second closing click gets the rear glass back into it's fully closed position and drops the front glass halfway leaving a venting position of sorts. This position *is* identical to the first open click position. Third and final closing click drops the front and fully closes the double window.

The problem really becomes that you can't really preprogram the clicks. You can't hit it three times and then let it go. You have to wait for it to find each new position before it will register that you want to go further. As you can see from the pics below, the wagon glass is pretty freaking big. It takes a while for that sucker to wind. What I really want is one touch close. From any position. Skip all the intermediate steps that I have to sit and wait for every time I want to close from fully open. One touch, done. No need to fiddle with open positions or changes. I'm happy with those.

Icing on the cake would be keyless or key removal automatic close, but I'd be happy with one touch as the main part of the deal.

First photo is open position one and looks identical to the close position two. Next photo is open position two. You can imagine fully closed and fully open. (Ignore the Thule bar and fairing. They do not interfere with operation in that location. Sorry you have to look through it to see what I'm talking about. Just imagine it's not there.)

2012-05-09_11-04-49_25.thumb.jpg.1528ea318b1827590b5c56258e373600.jpg

2012-05-09_11-05-21_551.thumb.jpg.da3b77a67c03a0eaf6454990b00ccc95.jpg

The problem really becomes that you can't really preprogram the clicks. You can't hit it three times and then let it go. You have to wait for it to find each new position before it will register that you want to go further.

...as is the problem with the sedans, but with two positions/clicks rather than three. Three would make me wanna drive off a bridge. :lol: The two-panel system you've got is pretty cool, but the control system (for both your & our sedan) sucks.

Tits mcgee

Archived