LegacyGT.com

Speed3 pancaked at 125 mph - dude survives

BOXRPWR

Kinda morbid, but I thought I'd share this rather amazing set of pics from a guy on the Mazda board who posted about his "bad day" at the track. Check out these pics:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/pancakedMS3-a.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/pancakedMS3.jpg

Happened at Pacific Raceways near Seattle, WA - known as a dangerous track for high speeds and little runoff. Guy says he used up the inner front brake pads and the pedal just hit the floor coming into a corner off the main straightaway. He estimated his speed at 125 mph.

He was taken on a backboard to the hospital for X-rays. No broken bones and his spine was okay. Says hes super sore but otherwise intact. Supposedly there's an in-car vid taken from a car following him. He says it shows him pancaking the tire berm and the car leaps about 15 ft up in the air.

Hate to see a Speed3 taken out of action like this. But pretty amazing his noodle remained inside his skull.

that's the same track ricochet's STI was totalled (i believe it was his car) at the first Subiefest last Nov.

is that the black STI that flipped during a time trail run that flipped and totaled it? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

yes. flipped 7 times, think he was doing a good 130+ mph? i got there either right before it happened, but we went to watch the rallycross event. then saw the ambulances and emergency vehicles on our way back to the main track area.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

yes. flipped 7 times, think he was doing a good 130+ mph? i got there either right before it happened, but we went to watch the rallycross event. then saw the ambulances and emergency vehicles on our way back to the main track area.

i read about it in DSport sp? magazine they had pics of the flip sequenced the kid had a gazillion dollars in that car. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I'm pretty sure that was Token Negro's car.

Lost the brakes, eh?

I wonder if the racing tires overwhelmed the OEM brakes (if they are OEM).

dont see why anyone who would put racing tires on the car would use oem brake pads on the track.

car for sale. PM me!

I'm pretty sure that was Token Negro's car.

i can't remember whose car it was, Subiesport also did a story on it. i thought it was Ricochet's but i could be wrong. wouldn't be the first time. :lol:

either way, that would really suck! when i did my brake upgrade, i noticed an immediate difference!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

dont see why anyone who would put racing tires on the car would use oem brake pads on the track.

you probably need to ride in a MS3 with the stock brake pad/rotors to understand fully why it's not such a crazy idea. The MS3 brakes down like a sunnufabiotch.

that said, I just put on a set of Carbotech Bobcats for my next track event! ;)

the guy has been chatting about how the ABS sensors were confused by the super-traction of the R comp tires. In the MS3 you can turn of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and the traction control, but not the ABS.

he also claimed that after the fact, the inner front brake pads were nearly worn away while the outer pads still had about 1/4" pad. That sounds damned peculiar to me. :eek:

That looks like my CRX after I slid it into a Redwood tree in the Santa Cruz mountains where I grew up. The bummer was, my friend was sitting shotgun, so he was in the hospital for a couple weeks. My neck still hurts everyday and that was seven years ago.

This was an original growth redwood tree, so it was like hitting a brick wall. We went rolling through the air and landed upside down.

Archived