LegacyGT.com

New Acura TSX: Going after the Legacy GT?

I wouldn't say the TSX isn't worth the money. I think the fit and finish is much better than the TL/Accord...probably largely b/c the TSX is manufactured in Japan and based off the sporty European Accord platform. It reminds me a lot of my '97 TL (also built in Japan). Very well built car.

Before we bought the LGT we shopped TSX's. IMO the TSX has a more solid feel and nicer interior than the LGT...but lacked heavily in performance. + there is the "rare" factor of the LGT -- TSX's are everywhere in Orange County

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I test drove a TSX as well. Way too slow for me. I think the TSX is worth the money, but that doesn't change how I feel about Acura being an overpriced Honda. That doesn't mean it isn't worth what you pay for it though. Its just Honda's are extremely affordable and it would be nice to have this kind of power in a honda.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But they really don't have a platform to put this in in the US market...would never put it in a Civic and the Accord already has a V6...it will probably end up in the European Accord though.

super happy all women handling system(SH-AWD) found RL, MDX and RDX still aren't as sporty driving as their AWD competitors(ie M35X, FX35/45 etc.). I doubt that anything will change but this will put pressure on Subaru.

BTW - 6MT in the spec. B is much nicer then any of the cable operated nonsense that Honda manufactures.

Imagine our motor with VTEC for just a second you douche!

1. We have variable valve timing already.

2. The current TSX has 205 hp thanks to VTEC. HELLO WHERE IS THE TORQUE?? There shouldn't be that big of a spread between hp and torque.

So Im imagining a 243 hp LGT with only 190 ft lbs of torque. Hmm....feels like driving a blob.

1. We have variable valve timing already.

2. The current TSX has 205 hp thanks to VTEC. HELLO WHERE IS THE TORQUE?? There shouldn't be that big of a spread between hp and torque.

So Im imagining a 243 hp LGT with only 190 ft lbs of torque. Hmm....feels like driving a blob.

You do realize that variable valve timing is not the same thing as "VTEC", right? Subaru's do not have a second cam profile. Everyone has VVT, not everyone has multiple cam profiles. It is also tiring to always read people complain about the "omg no torq lol" on Honda's. It's called gearing.

The TSX is not going after the LGT. Most people don't know the LGT exists, so you can't go after something that is invisible.

+1

So they'll buy other cars, also the ones that would have bought the LGT now have a second (third, fourth, fifth) choice to consider, all with an AWD drive and turbo options. Even if the AWD systems suck compared to Subaru, does the average consumer really give a damn, in fact the average idiot will say that the Acura awd is better because "super handling" sounds better than "symmetrical" lol :D

Bottom line is Subaru should be a little worried and not just about the TSX but other manufacturers too. Those Mazda guys are getting a little too close to Suby territory too, and dropping the CX7 engine and drivetrain into the Mazda 6 is not much of a stretch.

Marginalizing the LGT is NOT looking like a smart move.

You do realize that variable valve timing is not the same thing as "VTEC", right? Subaru's do not have a second cam profile. Everyone has VVT, not everyone has multiple cam profiles. It is also tiring to always read people complain about the "omg no torq lol" on Honda's. It's called gearing.

Its not gearing. Its simple. You either have to have forced induction or a greater displacement to get torque. 2.4Ls is not going to provide you with torque to match the hp that VTEC puts out.

VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is a valvetrain system developed by Honda to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. This system uses two camshaft profiles and electronically selects between the profiles. This was the first system of its kind. Different types of variable valve timing and lift control systems have also been produced by other manufacturers (MIVEC from Mitsubishi, VVTL-i from Toyota, VarioCam Plus from Porsche, VVL from Nissan, etc). It was invented by Honda R&D engineer Ikuo Kajitani.[1] It can be said that VTEC, the original Honda variable valve control system, originated from REV (Revolution-modulated valve control) introduced on the CBR400 in 1983 known as HYPER VTEC.[2].

"The Acura is waaay nicer than the Subaru"

Sure.. if you buy an Acura that is priced higher than a Subaru...:rolleyes:

I've been in a TSX and it is nothing to write home about...

"I love honda technology"

Honda Technology? What.. a FWD with a transverse mounted engine that just happens to rev to a billion RPM to make next to no torque? :lol:

Seriously, other than some third party interior features, what technology does Honda offer that Subaru doesn't?

Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!! VTEC just kicked in!!!! Hold onto your seat!!!! weeeeeeeee :spin:

Acura isn't waaaay nicer then subaru but the interior quality is better. I'm not an Acura/Honda fanboy but the materials are better. The seats in the TSX and TL are sooooo much better then the legacy's. The leather quality is better also. The TSX is 27k and the TL is 33k so wouldn't say they are worlds apart from the GT.

The TSX isn't anything to write home about... Its just a very good overall car. Just like every Honda being made. I haven't seen anyone write that the TSX is amazing. Its just a very competitive car that needs more HP.

Honda technology? Yea, Honda isn't building cars that park themselves but they do integrate nice technology throughout the car. I don't understand what you mean by third party? Subaru doesn't seem to party at all when it comes to technology.

Recent Honda technology:

Vtec - continued development. (if you can think back to pre-ricer days.. this technology was designed to increase overall performance of smaller engines without jeopardizing economy, it is not a turbo nor did honda claim it to be) Recent turbo technology has finally made it feasible to have economy, emissions and performance so Honda has moved in that direction.

SH-AWD - true traction control and AWD integration.

Variable Vane turbo - just like porsche

Bluetooth integration - before everyone else was doing it.

Navigation - with traffic and soon weather

Voice control for all major car functions

5.1 surround sound - before everyone else.

So what technology does subaru have in its cars?

Stability control is now finally available on cars less then 30k.. wow welcome to 2003.

Bluetooth integration? Someday..

Stereo? Welcome to 1997.. SRS WOW...(no wow here)

Navigation? basic and dated looking, voice control turned off?

Engine technology - my legacy felt like it had VTEC because of the stupid studder.

The legacy GT is a good car and I enjoyed mine a lot. Structurally it is great and it is a performance value but for many people it is missing refinement and luxury.

Honestly subaru needs to catch up. You might disagree saying that you don't care about those items but most people paying 30k for a car are looking for those things. Its great that subaru's aren't as common but from a financial standpoint subaru needs to sell more cars to compete. They have to have the money to develop new cars.

I'm speaking from experience with my GT and TSX.

Coming from a Honda, I can tell you that the new TSX (if these rumors prove to be correct) is something that Subaru does have to worry about. While I love the interior of my 05LGT, the interior of a TSX is very nice. It feels very spacious and everything is very intuitive.

The fact that on paper the new TSX and the Legacy are so close means that people will be cross-shopping the two cars even more. The Legacy's main advantage (AWD) has been somewhat leveled by the SH-AWD in the TSX. The Legacy's power advantage has similarly been reduced. Add to that the popularity of the Acura name, and the TSX is a force to be reckoned with.

Anything that makes Subaru sells less cars = less money for the company to innovate.

i would def consider the TSX if it came AWD with aTurbo (I'd even consider the TL if it just came with AWD). Sp shots arent doing much for me since i guess its hard to imagine the car w/out the duct tape but overall i like the honda styling (except the new acord). The build quality will be better then subaru as would the customer service. dont get me wrong i love my legacy, but int he back of my mind i just wonder how reliable it will be over a long period of time.

ona side note i was behind a new V6 Accord Sedan the other day, i guess he thought i wanted to go but i was on my way to an appointment not really paying attention. he jumped to the left lane and really took off. i was pretty impressed witht he get-up and go on the new Accord! Much much better then my 6th gen was!

Archived