LegacyGT.com

Brake Set-up Reviews including BBKs

SubLo

drilled rotors are not recommended because they crack easier and warp easier.

Believe me, I know. I cracked 6 sets of X-drilled rotors on my Maxima.

The kit I got, for a bargain of less then 2G I might add, came with X-drilled rotors, my next ones will be slotted only. FWIW the DBA5000 rotors (even if X-drilled) are a pretty well made rotor that can go through a lot.

I have been at least 5 or 6 times harder on these rotors then on the ones on my Maxima, and still no hairline cracks yet.;)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how much did they cost you? i need an upgrade in the worst way. the car goes faster than it can slow down.

I got them for $1925 (I think), but I don't think you will find them for much less then $2500 now.

IMO the light weight and rigid AP calipers, coupled with 2 piece rotors is worth it, but there are cheaper alternatives.

Stoptech makes very good stuff, will fit under 17s, but our OEM wheels need a spacer. I think they are a few hundred cheaper.

All the other stuff that is significantly cheaper is well, cheaper made. Still better then OEM though.

While I love my AP BBK, pads lines and fluid will do wonders, for a lot less. I would seriously consider that, unless you want to mess with brake bias, want to lose the extra weight, want the extra caliper stiffness and are willing to pay for it.

• 9 months later...
Well guys i just bought stoptech fronts and brembo rears i will let you know about that combo compared to the full brembo setup.

the bias should be significantly more to the rear now..IIRC

car for sale. PM me!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a quick read through and search, but did not find anything regarding...

The thread mentions using STi's Brembos as a BBK, but how about using the '06-07 4 pot/2 pot calipers instead? Is there any improvement or benefit to going with that set up? I have a complete set of these brakes from my last WRX and wanted to know if they can be reused on a Legacy. Thanks!

Apologies in advance if I missed a post or thread about this...

I did a quick read through and search, but did not find anything regarding...

The thread mentions using STi's Brembos as a BBK, but how about using the '06-07 4 pot/2 pot calipers instead? Is there any improvement or benefit to going with that set up? I have a complete set of these brakes from my last WRX and wanted to know if they can be reused on a Legacy. Thanks!

Apologies in advance if I missed a post or thread about this...

how much do they go for nowadays on the forums?

just wondering.

car for sale. PM me!

how much do they go for nowadays on the forums?

just wondering.

Are you talking about the '06-07 4 pot/2 pot set up? I buddy of mine on another forum just sold a complete stock set (front/rear calipers, stock rotors, stock pads, stock lines) for $750. I have front/rear calipers, DBA 4000 series rotors, Axxis Ultimates pads, and stainless steel lines that I would sell for $1,000-1,100 if I do not end up reusing them.

• 4 weeks later...

For my DD, I went with the STI front Brembos,..

Been looking to go with STI rear brake setup, but the costs to do the swap wasnt worth it and would be too much trouble to get parts and pay a lot for the adapter for the calipers.

I went with RacingBrakes rotor and caliper adapter so that there is much more torque to the oem caliper. Has been a great compliment to the Front Brembos for about <$600 (shipping cost to Hawaii too). I've been happy with the results so far....

• 3 months later...

I just added SS lines and Hawk HPS and fresh fluid.

The difference over stock well worth it IMO... I had 25K on the stock pads (they still had about 50% meat on them) and for the most part they worked ok. I was never happy with the feel but the they stopped fairly well. I only have about 30 miles on the new brakes, but I immediately noticed them to be firmer, with much better feel and a better initial grab. When I jump on the brakes hard the wheels lock up (and ABS kicks in) a lot quicker than with the stock brakes. Maybe I am noticing this because I rarely jumped on the brakes hard with the stock pads? But I think the additional stopping power is pretty apparent....even with this very modest upgrade. Since I only have a few miles on the setup I can't comment too much on dust and noise, but so far they have been as quiet as stock.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

• 2 months later...

All companies like Brembo, AP (which is owned by the Brembo group by the way) and Alcon as well as Performance Friction have many different grades of calipers. Often these are interchangeable meaning that a client can start with an entry level caliper off the shelf, and then install a higher end item at a later time. I think it is very important to note that sometimes BBK can have a better caliper and a cheaper hat / disc / pad setup as well to come in at the same target pricing, the opposite is true as well....

There was a comment earlier on about the AP not being as stiff as the Stoptech ?? Apples to Oranges so too speak in my opinion.

I will speak about the ALCON line, as that is the one I have the most experience with, and the manufacturers that best supports our requirements, and our teams.

Within a 4 pot caliper, you can have this caliper designed to fit any number of applications. Governing factors such as manufacturing materials, target market, application, and performance levels you are wishing to achieve determine the manufacturing process to be used. As everyone will agree with, not all materials offer the same resistance to temperature and forces, not all cast calipers are weak, and all billet calipers are strong. Simply saying that one company is better than the other because the caliper is stiffer in my opinion is not fair to either company. You can have a very high end cast caliper out of aeronautics grade materials that will be stronger than a billet caliper machined out of low cost, a material like a T3-2011 aluminum has no place in brake components, but is cheap to acquire, easy to machine, and offers excellent finishing (visual) properties.

Calipers are a lot like tires, some drivers prefer one vs. the other. More often than not a common question we will ask our clients is "how bad do you want to win?" This is not necessarily relevant to a street car, but none the less demonstrates that there are many different offerings for the same car and even within what is available from ONE manufacturer. We can offer an ENTRY level 4 piston ALCON caliper at a really in-expensive price for day to day use just as easy as a billet part with liquid cooling that uses 1 pad per piston (4x4 pads config).

If the said client then compares that cheap caliper to the higher end option and says "I liked caliper two better because of so and so." Does that mean anything? He just compared two calipers destined too two different applications, and more importantly, budgets!

It should not be inferred that one company is better than the other, but perhaps other factors like customer service, availability, and longevity should be just as important as the "flavor of the month" factor.

I hope everyone can see the benefit of working with your preferred parts supplier, or one specific vendor to determine what your specific requirements are for your your brakes, and then determining what package offers the most pros vs cons for your application.

As I said previously, all though we support one specific manufacturer, our kits to not suit everyone's requirements. When this happens, we will say so and unfortunately, loose a sale. But on the up side, we know that the customer is not going to get a kit that will leave them dis-appointed. The clients that we are fortunate enough to work with that are seeking what MSI or our partners can offer, will be satisfied, and will be supported 100%.

That is what counts, the support that the end user receives from his vendor, regardless of what manufacturer they choose to go with.

That is what interests me personally, is the technical support that each client received from their vendor / manufacturer rather than "what kit is best".

I hope this offers some valuable insight, we mean no dis-respect to anyone, simply another point of view.

-mark

Edited by MSI