Brake Set-up Reviews including BBKs

SubLo

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bought them that way ANSI don't really have an opnion yet. I want thesubtle effect so well see
Obviously I'm biased, but I think they take away from the classic style of the 5 spoke design and I don't like the contrast they add either. But, like you said, person choice which is why we can run 'em anyway we want. Just wish it was summer so mine could go back on.:mad:
ignore him, he'll go away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I apologize in advance if there is a thread or posting on this, I can't find it.

I want to purchase used STI brakes from a friend, but want to see if they will fit my 2005 Legacy GT wagon.

What is needed to make them fit?

he is providing the power slot rotors he used on them as well.

My wagon is 100% stock still. Please let me know, thanks!

short answer: 04 STi front brakes are complete bolt-on, 05-07 you can use the front calipers, but not the rotors, wrong bolt pattern. In all cases, rear calipers require adapter brakets (Mach V motorsports) as well as a hybrid rotor that has the proper inner diameter for our parking brake.

Does anyone have suggestions for an outback XT. I want better performance, but I have stock wheels. Can I go with bigger brakes? What is the best bang for the buck.

I know this is a BBK thread, but you can also look into Legacy GT front calipers and rotors as a very cost effective upgrade. Not sure what the Outback stock rears are like, but the Legacy GT, Racing Brake rear kit, and the H6 upgrade are all options.

So am I to understand that 05-07 calipers will require 04 STi rotors and a spacer to be used with stock 5 spokes?

No other brackets for the front, the STi Brembos will bolt right up?

HMMMM.....is it worth just doing the fronts in anyones opinion?

Nope, you got that about as wrong as possible:lol:

* any STi caliper (04-07) will fit any LGT (05-08)

* You must use 5x100 front rotors, only available on the 04 version of the STi

* Rear calipers require relocation brackets, such as those from Kartboy

* Rear rotors must be a hybrid type offered by DBA through MachV or from Brembo

• 2 months later...

Update on Sti Brembos. I drove to Florida last week from South Bend, IN. It rained nearly the entire way. A LOT. I discovered a downside to these brakes, PERHAPS, but I'm not sure. The install of these babies requires one to remove the dust/splash shields. This may lead to really soaked rotors in the wet. Many times I went to hit the brakes and the wet brakes made the car pull massively and/or not slow down until I managed to get the water off the rotors with judicious application of the brake pedal. This often occurred after traveling at 60-70 mph or more in the wet for a many minutes at a time before needing to hit the brakes, but it was VERY disconcerting. I dont' know if removing the dust/splash shield was the proximate cause or if it was just the extreme wet conditions, but if the cause is the removal of the splash shield, I think this is a big downside of the STi Brembos relative to other BBKs if the others dont' require removal of the shield.

Opinions?

I may start a new thread on this.

Good info Ted.

I have the AP front BBK (complete with DBA5000 2-piece rotors).

The brake modulation and feel is incredible (vs OEM calipers and Bobcats). The Pluses to the AP kit is the lightweight (even lighter then the Stoptechs) and the fact that they easily fit behind OEM wheels (which I use for winter driving). They came with the Mintex Extreme Motorsport pads that go up to over 1300F. I beat on these pads to the point where I saw glowing pieces of dust come off and melted my center caps on my wheels. I did 18 stops from 90 mph, then full throttle immediately thereafter (320 whp) to do it again.

No fade at all, nothing, they wanted more, and more and more.

I have had them for 6 months now and they are working great.

LBGT's AP BBK

I know that Ted would have preferred the AP kit to his Stoptech one, in the end they are very close, with the cost nod going to Stoptech and the weight more compact size nod going to AP.

drilled rotors are not recommended because they crack easier and warp easier.

13.6 @ 102 untuned FTW

SmartWax - Spec Clutch - Team Scp 1

http://newenglandsubarus.com/