SubLo

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All right, just to add to this thread, here are some links comparing BBKs on a Acura RSX. I know it is not an LGT, but this just shows why you want a matched set-up. The moral is, choose the wrong BBK and your stopping distances increase dramatically, even on better tires :(

First, the Car and Driver Article

Next, the Overall Results PDF

Lastly, Stoptech's Propaganda Article :lol:

A recent issue of Sport & Compact Car magazine had an article on their project RSX featuring the Stop Tech kit. They noted that the RSX is an odd bird in that it is not set up for the normal forward brake bias that most OEM cars are for liabilty reasons (avoid spins under braking); rather, balance was optimized. This made it an especially difficult car to improve braking performance, they said. With their Stop Tech kit, they only improved braking distances by a few feet after back to back tests with the same car (stock brakes vs Stop Tech). But this was with consultation with Stop Tech and a kit swap, I think. The initial kit increased braking distances.

Their take was that BBKs generally help heat dissipation and brake modulation. Unless you have OEM resources, don't expect shorter braking distances.

The current S&CC (January 2008) has a column on this same matter. Good reading.

Hey.

I was browsing some of the vendor sites for the AP Racing setup - pricey! I came across the Brembo upgrade from King of parts. Front and Back together would cost about what the AP 6-pot front costs alone! Anybody have any thoughts on these aftermarket Brembo's that haven't already been mentioned? I imagine these the exact STi brakes?

https://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Categories?category=Legacy+05%2B%3ABraking

http://www.thekingofparts.com/catalog/brembo.jpg

http://www.thekingofparts.com/catalog/rearsti.jpg

Hey Freddy

Thats the ones I have been looking at as well. The price seems really reasonable. I think this is the route I am going to go.

I just put that exact set on a month ago, just have not had the time to post!

Anyways that rock, in my opinion. The only thing that you will need are rear stainless lines. The ones provided will not fit (length wise). Also you have to grind part of the rear spindle just a very little bit, but that is really common.

Talk to jeremy at king of parts, he will set you up right, also mention that you are on the LGT forums. These brakes grad hard!!! Just make sure your wheels will fit them.

Yes they are absolutly identical the STI Brembo's. This is called the Gran Tarismo Kit. I did not realize that until i saw the boxes.

Good luck!!!

Well elders and nUbs, yes I searched. I came across a myriad of threads of "does this fit under x" and "will my YYY wheels clear that." However, there is no compendium of such data that I can find.

I ask because yes, I'm looking at a BBK purchase that will clear my Shrek wheels. Gonna go with AP or Stoptech/Cobb 4-pots on all fours probably.

:cool:

Note: I've seen a couple of us running Endless setups but no comments or reviews. I'd like to get some opinions of these too if possible.

Sublo

Correct me if I am wrong but...

How will you get them to fit under your spec wheels? They are only 7 inches wide correct? 18x7 I think

You need at least a 7.5 or 8 inch width rim for them according to king of parts.

I guess you can use a spacer.

Greg

Sublo

Correct me if I am wrong but...

How will you get them to fit under your spec wheels? They are only 7 inches wide correct? 18x7 I think

You need at least a 7.5 or 8 inch width rim for them according to king of parts.

I guess you can use a spacer.

Greg

I'm swappin' out my wheels first. Man. Big investments in this car. True, it's the offset that's really the problem on the OEM Shrek wheels not the width. Sigh... I would keep them if I could fit a BBK in there.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Just do the Upgrades to the stock brakes you have as in this thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38676&page=5

05+ LGT Front and Rear Calipers, <---YOU HAVE THESE ALREADY OBVIOUSLY

DBA 4000 Brake Rotors for 05+ LGT's Front and Rear (The rear is vented now.)

EBC Yellow Stuff Pads for 05+ LGT's Front and Rear

Stainless lines for 05+ LGT Front and Rear

ATE Super Blue DOT4 Fluid.

Brembos are a little overkill arent they? I would love to have them but around 3000 just for the brakes let alone wheel expense...

Man I would love to have them from what I have heard, but Wheels too....

You guys are killing me.

I did find a full set of 04 sti calipers for around 1000. Im tempted.....

buying the calipers is the easy part. The rear brackets and rotors add up quick cause you're not likely to find them used.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• 1 month later...

I know this is purely for looks,

but does anyone w/a silver car have gold Brembo on?

I'm about to get some, but cant decide if the extra money is worht it for black. I am unsure how gold brakes would look on a silver car

I know this is purely for looks,

but does anyone w/a silver car have gold Brembo on?

I'm about to get some, but cant decide if the extra money is worht it for black. I am unsure how gold brakes would look on a silver car

I do, they look good. However, given the opportunity, I would have gone with black calipers to keep the car looking a little less noticeable. Gold Brembos are more common and less expensive than the black ones.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I just got my Black Brembo Kit installed. Brembo Rotor, calipers, pads + LGT specific SS Lines. Fluid is Motul. I got a killer deal on them... if anyone wants them lemme know i can send you in the right direction

quick pics here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1653353&postcount=37

So far, very nice compared to stock. Intially it bites really hard and i was unsure of how much pressue is needed but now that i get the hang of it, i think they're a definate upgrade to stock. Distance i think is cut, i brake later than I usually do comming up to a light/stop sign and i still hve room to spare before i'm up to the line. I'm always kinda like ... "damnit i could've braked later."

I havent and might not ever track my car, but from a street driving these are great. Much more confident in braking.

My friend put it this way, "Hey at least you won't hit the car in front of you, only you'll get hit from behind." heh

So far, very nice compared to stock. Intially it bites really hard and i was unsure of how much pressue is needed but now that i get the hang of it, i think they're a definate upgrade to stock. Distance i think is cut, i brake later than I usually do comming up to a light/stop sign and i still hve room to spare before i'm up to the line. I'm always kinda like ... "damnit i could've braked later."

I havent and might not ever track my car, but from a street driving these are great. Much more confident in braking.

My friend put it this way, "Hey at least you won't hit the car in front of you, only you'll get hit from behind." heh

Truly amazing.

I bet they even make you younger!

:spin: