LegacyGT.com

Brake Set-up Reviews including BBKs

SubLo

Most of the independent testing out there shows Stoptech as the stiffest caliper, AP Racing second, and Brembo behind that. Furthermore, the AP Racing set-up and Stoptech set-up are engineered for the car, whereas the Brembo set-up is not...
:spin:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brand aside, which are better - slotted or drilled rotors? I imagine the drilled might sacrifice a tiny bit of surface area at the expense of a tad added cooling? Do the slotted variety dissipate heat better? Better fade resistance?
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Do not get drilled. Slotted are better than drilled period...

Other than that, slots eat pads faster but give you slightly better performance in the rain...

Blanks are the best for all around performance these days...

Most of the independent testing out there shows Stoptech as the stiffest caliper, AP Racing second, and Brembo behind that. Furthermore, the AP Racing set-up and Stoptech set-up are engineered for the car, whereas the Brembo set-up is not...

Stoptech stiffer then AP? At least you love what you got.:lol:

The Brembos that the STi uses and 350Z etc are not the same as the famous high quality Brembos.

Many STI owners that track their cars take their Brembos off (why do you think you can get so many used take-offs?) and put on AP, Stoptech, Alcon etc.....

The Brembos are still better then our stock ones, but not the same as the good ones.;)

Stoptech stiffer then AP? At least you love what you got :lol:
Actually, yeah, becuase of the patent they have on their special bridge. AP have the weight nod, and Stoptech has the stiffness nod. Look around and you will find the same results :D

Actually, yeah, becuase of the patent they have on their special bridge. AP have the weight nod, and Stoptech has the stiffness nod. Look around and you will find the same results :D

I am just bugging you.

I highly doubt we could tell the difference.

I got the AP because of weight, and because of fitment with stock wheels for winter.

I have had full F&R Brembo's for a while now, and LOVE them:)!!!

The stock brake pads are pure garbage. Period. Maybe the newer revisions changed the compound, but my early '05 had the crappy ones. I made the switch in stages:

Front Brembo only: With stock Sti pads & rotor's. Huge improvement over stock, excellent pedal feel, and modulation. This was even with the stock rubber lines to boot.

Front Brembo's w/2pc rotor's, Ferodo ds2500 pads and SS lines: Phenominal pedal response. The SS lines definitely stiffened up even the Brembo caliper's. The ds2500 pads are awesome, but pricey. Still had the stock rears, as I had trouble getting custom rear brackets fitted.

Front & Rear Brembo's w/Ferodo's & SS lines: Words cannot describe the braking response from just leaning a toe on the brake pedal. With the addition of the rear Brembo's, the car really came together. As has been recently uncovered, the stock rear Lgt caliper's have but a 32mm piston to the Brembo's 36mm. So adding the Brembo's on the rear does alot towards shifting the bias rearward, and helping to balance out the braking.

Brembo's F&R, 1pc rotor's, Axxis Ultimate's, SS lines: After chewing up the ds2500's, I looked for some less expensive pads, and these Axxis pads did the trick. They even have better bite than the Ferodo's. And cost 1/3 the price, so win win.

Also of note, I didn't perceive any real difference between the much more expensive 2pc rotor's vs. the plain jane 1pc rotor's. So I will be sticking with the 1pc, and just toss them when they are worn, since they are economical enough to do so...

I'm sure the Stoptech's, AP's, Alcon's or Brembo GT's would be even better. But, they cost a fair amount more, and like hp, the first 80% is pretty cheap, to get the last 20% is much much dearer.

the first 80% is pretty cheap, to get the last 20% is much much dearer.

Like everything in life.;)

For me the AP BBK cost was slightly off-set by the fact that I could keep my OEM wheels for winter.

Oh yea, and the fact that I got a HUGE discount on them.

where did you get them from ^^?

Thanks for your posts

I got mine from Rallitek. They just buy from Brake-Pros (Stillen), and because of all my trouble going down there, they hooked me up with an awesome deal.

FWIW the brake tech guys at Brake-pros are very good to talk to, they are not the salesmen, which is nice.

How much does each part of each system weigh?

AP calipers f/r =>

AP rotors f/r=>

Brembo calipers f/r=>

Brembo 1pc rotors slotted/drilled/none f/r =>

DBA 4000 2pc rotors for Brembo setup slotted/drilled/none f/r =>

Stoptech/Cobb calipers f/r =>

Stoptech/Cobb rotors f/r=>

How much effort is envolved with changing rotors?

Do you have to remove the caliper it the pads are out?

I would assume that you would have to, but never hurts to ask. I know people run track pads and street pads, is this common with rotors as well?

How much does each part of each system weigh?

AP calipers f/r =>

AP rotors f/r=>

Brembo calipers f/r=>

Brembo 1pc rotors slotted/drilled/none f/r =>

DBA 4000 2pc rotors for Brembo setup slotted/drilled/none f/r =>

Stoptech/Cobb calipers f/r =>

Stoptech/Cobb rotors f/r=>

hit up their website/emails

Honestly, Brembos are good, but Stoptech and AP Racing are in a different league...

2-piece rotors will always be lighter, and generally have better cooling

Stoptech may be better than STI Brembos. But, as a fair comparison, you need to compare Stoptech kits to the Brembo GT or GTR kits.

I just bought Brembo F/R from The King of Parts and cannot wait to put them on. I did get the cross drilled rotors and mutol fluid. Will let you know about my opinion of them. So far the price and service have been great!

All right, just to add to this thread, here are some links comparing BBKs on a Acura RSX. I know it is not an LGT, but this just shows why you want a matched set-up. The moral is, choose the wrong BBK and your stopping distances increase dramatically, even on better tires :(

First, the Car and Driver Article

Next, the Overall Results PDF

Lastly, Stoptech's Propaganda Article :lol:

Do not get drilled. Slotted are better than drilled period...

Other than that, slots eat pads faster but give you slightly better performance in the rain...

Blanks are the best for all around performance these days...

Crossdrilled are better for the rain than slotted. Slotted give you a great initial bite but they also eat pads faster as you said but they prevent glazing.

From my research in terms of performance it goes Crossdrilled, Blanks, Slotted.

All right, just to add to this thread, here are some links comparing BBKs on a Acura RSX. I know it is not an LGT, but this just shows why you want a matched set-up. The moral is, choose the wrong BBK and your stopping distances increase dramatically, even on better tires :(

First, the Car and Driver Article

Next, the Overall Results PDF

Lastly, Stoptech's Propaganda Article :lol:

ya I noticed how a lot of stoptech's advertising likes to bash other people's brake kits. They make good brakes, but their marketing is even better.

Crossdrilled are better for the rain than slotted. Slotted give you a great initial bite but they also eat pads faster as you said but they prevent glazing.

From my research in terms of performance it goes Crossdrilled, Blanks, Slotted.

I disagree with you. And I will also say that most of the brake manufacturors and vendors on this site do to, but you are entitled to your opinion:redface:

Ya I noticed how a lot of stoptech's advertising likes to bash other people's brake kits. They make good brakes, but their marketing is even better.
That was an independent test...

What company out there wouldn't advertise it if it won a completely independent test? Especially by such a large margin...

• 3 weeks later...

Well elders and nUbs, yes I searched. I came across a myriad of threads of "does this fit under x" and "will my YYY wheels clear that." However, there is no compendium of such data that I can find.

I ask because yes, I'm looking at a BBK purchase that will clear my Shrek wheels. Gonna go with AP or Stoptech/Cobb 4-pots on all fours probably.

:cool:

Note: I've seen a couple of us running Endless setups but no comments or reviews. I'd like to get some opinions of these too if possible.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]