LegacyGT.com

Clutch advice

ABPillinois

^ the search button is your friend. search ACT in the transmission forums, you'll find pleny of info.

btw...with those mods, you could be running stage 2 mapping.

Subaru dealer will ask $800 in labor. You can get a performance shop for around $400-500. Yes it is a good combo.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yea, some members took pics measurements and weights of both flywheels so that others could see. If they searched!

All three threads I started:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52707&highlight=clutch

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51936&highlight=clutch

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51912&highlight=clutch

I can't remember which has what in it, but you can go look.

Your dealer (if you are accurately conveying what they are saying) is WRONG OK!

I am no genius as a few kind members of the board here spontaneously like to attest to, but I know more about our clutch flywheel combo that my suby mechanic who has installed many, races 1/4 mile, basically does everything for his and other subarus. My dealer sells 10G a month in performance stuff. And you know what?..................every dealer I go to and every place I talked to over the phone (including ACT themselves) were WRONG!

I kinda hope you try and install the two mismatched parts and then actually post again about it.

here is my point

here locally.... techs that own built subarus, that build subarus, and are a true performance dealer...they tell me they have done it, and are actually making less money if selling the prolite with a stock clutch.

so...like I said above...the safe bet is act all the way or stock .

One question. Do any of these people have LGT's or are they all driving WRX's or STI's.

I can tell you from personal experience about the one you are not considering. The SPEC setup. I know for a fact that the SPEC clutches are designed and built to mirror OE specifications. This is the reason you can either use the SPEC STAGE "x" clutch pack on a stock flywheel. You can also use a SPEC Lightweight FW with the stock clutch pack. The other option is what I did. I got a SPEC Stage 2 clutch pack and SPEC LWFW. This is holding just fine on my Stage 2.5 LGT. The drivability of my setup is great. It feels almost identical to the stock setup except it needs a few more RPMs off the line.

The problem is that the aftermarket clutches designed specifically for the LGT are still pretty new. Prior to this summer most people used some combo of parts that were designed to fit other Subaru vehicles(WRX's/STI's). And since I know nothing about these I won't comment on them. What I do know is that you will need a new clutch pack AND FW. So find the combo that fits your needs and go with that. Have the work done by the people who told you what to setup to buy, so if they are wrong; they can pay to fix it. I personally bought the known good setup and had the dealership install it and I couldn't be happier with the result. BTW it cost me $545 for the install at my Subaru Dealership.

Good Luck. And FWIW BoostJunkie is very rarely wrong. ;)

Let's kick this pig!

Oh yea, some members took pics measurements and weights of both flywheels so that others could see. If they searched!

All three threads I started:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52707&highlight=clutch

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51936&highlight=clutch

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51912&highlight=clutch

I can't remember which has what in it, but you can go look.

Your dealer (if you are accurately conveying what they are saying) is WRONG OK!

I am no genius as a few kind members of the board here spontaneously like to attest to, but I know more about our clutch flywheel combo that my suby mechanic who has installed many, races 1/4 mile, basically does everything for his and other subarus. My dealer sells 10G a month in performance stuff. And you know what?..................every dealer I go to and every place I talked to over the phone (including ACT themselves) were WRONG!

I kinda hope you try and install the two mismatched parts and then actually post again about it.

<<<<I kinda hope you realize your being an arse here

I kinda hope you start reading full threads and actually paying attention in the future...instead of spouting off like some self acclaimed genius

and yes...as I already posted...the set up was done on 1 spec b and 5 gt's.

I've searched for two friggin weeks over this damn clutch issue and found little useful information, so I asked. God forgive me for going to Legacy enthusiast board to try and get help from fellow enthusiasts. I've done this between dealign with putting a kid on serious medication and dealing with a dying family member.....so again...forgive me for asking for help

as for size, guess what we did, the same thing. an act prolite and stock lgt flywheels, we did it THIS MORNING. There is no visible issue seen.

On a positive note...Hans, I thank you for all of your help. I know at least you read my posts in their entirety

another reason I thinkg I'll go ahead and go with act clutch and fly is that it does worry me that I have heard bad things about WRX clutch set ups failing...at pretty much the same mileage our clutches are failing...which by SEARCHING I found to be about 40k miles, regardless of mods....

I kinda hope you start reading full threads and actually paying attention in the future...instead of spouting off like some self acclaimed genius

Yes I am, sorry.

A stock LGT clutch and Pressure Plate (on a GT) was not ever by anyone made to fit with an ACT flywheel.

The only way that would happen is if ACT made a new flywheel, which I don't think has happened.

Part number is #600480 right? I am just going by memory, but I am pretty sure it is right as I have said that number soo many times.

as for size, guess what we did, the same thing. an act prolite and stock lgt flywheels, we did it THIS MORNING. There is no visible issue seen.

No you didn't! I am trying to be nice, but you didn't

Stock LGT fly (from a GT) and an ACT fly do not have the same thickness, is readily apparent. They will both bolt up the engine.

Are you sure you were comparing a LGT fly, maybe the dealer accidentally had a rex one there.

I've searched for two friggin weeks over this damn clutch issue and found little useful information, so I asked. God forgive me for going to Legacy enthusiast board to try and get help from fellow enthusiasts. I've done this between dealign with putting a kid on serious medication and dealing with a dying family member.....so again...forgive me for asking for help

On a positive note...Hans, I thank you for all of your help. I know at least you read my posts in their entirety

another reason I thinkg I'll go ahead and go with act clutch and fly is that it does worry me that I have heard bad things about WRX clutch set ups failing...at pretty much the same mileage our clutches are failing...which by SEARCHING I found to be about 40k miles, regardless of mods....

What is your original question? People who have done the work have told you that the ACT pressure place will not work with the stock LGT flywheel. (BTW people keep using the wrong terms for all of these parts: From the motor back you have the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing). Your shop told you differently. There is nothing any of us can do to fix that.

If you are looking to save money than you should replace the stock legacy clutch disk and leave everything else alone, assuming that the pressure plate and flywheel are not damaged (although you should always change the throw out bearing). The Stock Legacy clutch works just fine for a lot of people who have stage 2 and beyond set ups.

What I don't understand is that if you are so confident in your shop's understanding of this issue why do you care what anyone here thinks.

For the guy who wants to use a STI flywheel - let's cut this off early - DON'T, it will NOT WORK. Really.

What is your original question? People who have done the work have told you that the ACT pressure place will not work with the stock LGT flywheel. (BTW people keep using the wrong terms for all of these parts: From the motor back you have the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing). Your shop told you differently. There is nothing any of us can do to fix that.

If you are looking to save money than you should replace the stock legacy clutch disk and leave everything else alone, assuming that the pressure plate and flywheel are not damaged (although you should always change the throw out bearing). The Stock Legacy clutch works just fine for a lot of people who have stage 2 and beyond set ups.

What I don't understand is that if you are so confident in your shop's understanding of this issue why do you care what anyone here thinks.

For the guy who wants to use a STI flywheel - let's cut this off early - DON'T, it will NOT WORK. Really.

+10000000000000000000

it never ends, does it?;) (I justed wanted to say that once)

I'm on a budget.... Could I just use the existing flywheel and a LGT-specific clutch (SPEC, for example) and get a similar result? Thanks again...

All I can say about this is that the only way to tell if the stock flywheel is in good enough shape to reuse is to take it all apart. Mine was all blued, glazed and had some other nasty looking grooves on it(I'll post pics in review soon). At that point if you need a new FW you will be waiting almost another week for parts(depending when they are ordered and how much you pay for shipping). It is my understanding that while the stock FW can be turned; it is not easily done with a good result. I too have heard of many people replacing the stock setup with a new stock package. Most have reported that it holds just fine in gear up to and beyond 300WHP. The main reason for replacing the stock FW with an aftermarket one is weight. A lighter flywheel will allow the engine to rev faster, but can also create drivability issues for some drivers.

If cost is a concern; I believe "The King of Parts" has a deal for the stock clutch disc, pressure plate and TOB for around $300ish. This would work perfectly fine for most people who use their car for a daily driver and occasionally abuse it and is a great deal. It really depends upon what you intend to do with your car. This was not an option for me as I needed a setup with higher clamp force off the line for launching it at the drag strip.

Let's kick this pig!

Thanks for the reply! Since I'm not impressed with what I've read about the stock clutches and my own recent experience , I decided on the ACT '06 WRX clutch. They're on eBay right now for $539, and that seems like a great price for that unit. I'll most likely go w/ an OEM flywheel for the '06 WRX. Not the cheapest route, but I would think that it will last me a long time as I don't take the car to the track. Maybe I sould start! Anybody know where to get the best prices on OEM parts?

What is your original question? People who have done the work have told you that the ACT pressure place will not work with the stock LGT flywheel. Yeah...this has caused a lil confusion too...but I figured it out(BTW people keep using the wrong terms for all of these parts: From the motor back you have the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing). Your shop told you differently. There is nothing any of us can do to fix that. Actually not one single person has claimed to have done the same set up that my shop suggested. I have been trying to get clarification.... All I am getting is others experiences with OTHER parts

If you are looking to save money than you should replace the stock legacy clutch disk and leave everything else alone, assuming that the pressure plate and flywheel are not damaged (although you should always change the throw out bearing). The Stock Legacy clutch works just fine for a lot of people who have stage 2 and beyond set ups. In tha past week I have read threads on a total of 8 clutches failing at approx 40k miles. 4 of those had no or very light mods....no thanks.

I've answerred this before....this couldn't have happened at a worst time...I can afford to replace A clutch right now.....not two

I even knew that...:cool:

LittleBlueGT

Yeah...actually we did. Give up...you have convinced me your experiences and opinion are worthless...and you are the biggest ass I have run into on any enthusiast board in over ten years. You have done nothing but give me your experiences with other parts... (oh...and the part number I'm dealing with is 600475)

I'm not exactly sure how many posts ago it was that I said I'm spending the money and doing the act fly and clutch to be safe. I can't afford two clutch installs this week. The kid will have more trips in the future and gran isn't dead yet...maybe she can wait till after thanksgiving...otherwise we will be having tuna sandwiches.

nuff said

nuff said

600475 and 600480 are both part numbers for the ACT LW fly for an 06+ WRX

The one you were looking at was the really light one, so it looks like you probably won't be happy with that as it is more recommended for track use.

The 480 one is better for street use.

If you think I am an ass then you should hang around any car board longer. My butt will seem to shrink.

Whatever.

About the "yea actually we did":

You are wrong, you made a mistake somewhere, end of story.......signing out.

So, to get back on topic... :p Are the flywheel mounting bolts the same for the LGT and the '06 WRX? If they are, I'm assuming that I can reuse the old ones during install. Has anyone ever done a LGT clutch themselves? I've changed a few FWD clutches myself; is this one any more difficult?

I just did a swap on my 05 legacy gt. I Put in a spec stage 2+ clutch and the spec lightweight flywheel and perrin short throw shifter. Its really not that bad. Pays about 6hours though. so it will take some time in the driveway. Also befor you get started pick up a torx plus T55 socket for the flywheel bolts. Not just a torx a trox plus. I did mine with my downpipe still installed but removal and installtion of transmission could go easier with that out.

Thanks for the reply, Kevkel. I don't suppose you or anyone else out there has the torque specs for the job? Specifically, for the flywheel to crank torque, pressure plate to flywheel, and tranny to engine? That would be GREATLY appreciated!

52.8ftlb flywheel

11.8ftlb pressure plate

too lazy to find trans case specs. vacation pics FTW.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived