LegacyGT.com

Clutch advice

ABPillinois

I need some help

I just went to PDX stage 0 and clutch is slipping bad in forth and fifth Wot. I am trying to do some research on what to get. Here is a list in order of what I have found and what I think may be best. I don't think I want a LW Fly but I was thinking on 06' rex (If mine is bad). I plan on going to stage two maybe 350-400 lb/ft. in the future.

1. Spec 2+ Stock Fly

06' Rex Fly

Spec LW Fly

2. Act Clutch and flywheel combo

3. Unorthadox Legacy Kevlar clutch and flywheel combo

http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=53165

Don't know if this cluth would work with stock or 06' rex FW.

Clutch only- http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=51007

4. Exedy organic stage 1 needs exedy flywheel

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/15804

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/FF502

Dont know what oem FWs work with this clutch

5. Cluthmaster 2006 WRX stage 2 clutch

http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=53048

LW 06' wrx Fly- http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=53060

If someone could help me out with what clutch works with what oem FW that would be great. Any impressions of above cluthes would be good also. Any other ideas such as Buddyclutches ect..

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PM Earthworm. He just had the Spec and WRX flywheel installed in his car. From what I've read, I believe he's happy with it thus far.

I agree with Rao, I'd stay away from too light a flywheel. The WRX stocker is lighter than our dual mass crapola, but still heavy enough for a daily driver

ignore him, he'll go away.

So you guys think the Wrx unit will be an upgrade over stock?

I saw on a post they go for like 250 thats not so bad

Spec stage 2+ 550

Wrx Fly 250

Install ?

I need to find a reputable shop to install the dealer wants 550!

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

Is there anything else needed to use the wrx flywheel.

I just got my tranny rebuilt (I know I should have had a clutch put in) so I have a new throw out bearing and such.

I'm getting my Spec Stage2 clutch pack and Spec LWFW installed at the dealer Wednesday. The dealer quoted me $550 also. I checked around town here and got quotes anywhere from $700-$900 from the franchise tranny shops and locally owned shops. I figure that the dealer tech has at least done a few of new LGT's so they should be able to get it done quick and clean. I hope.:rolleyes:
Let's kick this pig!

So you guys think the Wrx unit will be an upgrade over stock?

I need to find a reputable shop to install the dealer wants 550!

Yes, slightly lighter. Earthworm had his installed at P&L, he should be able to tell you what they charged.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• 4 weeks later...
Brand new never used 2005 subaru legacy gt ACT Streetlite liteweight flywheel. Only weighs 13.8 LBS. I bought it for my spec clutch but didnt know they didnt fit. My loss your gain. I can send pictures if intrested. $200.00 plus shipping. Cheaper then anywhere else.:lol:PM if intrested will take pay pal

i too am now confused on the clutch choices out there.....

from one direction I am being told go act clutch and fly....

another I am being told stock clutch and act fly

and then i hear act clutch and wrx fly

confusion.

and no I am not buying spec....I've had several people warn me of transmission issues after installing spec

it looks to me that for someone like myself..at stage 2.5 ....and being really hard on a clutch...combined with no $$, that the best solution would be to spend 1/3 of all this aftermarket nonsense, and get a wrx flywheel and a stock clutch.... i would have to replace it every year for three+ years...and I got 2 yrs out of a stock clutch at stage 2..... so .......

i just don't see the payout on buying the more expensive clutch, at least not on a stage2.5 car that is taken to the track maybe 4-6 times out of the year....

i too am now confused on the clutch choices out there.....

from one direction I am being told go act clutch and fly....

another I am being told stock clutch and act fly

and then i hear act clutch and wrx fly

confusion.

and no I am not buying spec....I've had several people warn me of transmission issues after installing spec

The stock clutch is good insurance for your transmission (less grabby/less shock) but you might not be putting all your power to the ground. Act clutch will only fit Act fly or 06+ Rex fly.

i ordered stock clutch and act flywheel yesterday ....

stock WRX clutch?

OEM WRX clutch (06+) requires a single mass flywheel. 06+ OEM WRX or corresponding ACT streetlight flywheel will work.

ACT Clutch (ACT-SB5-HDMM) requires a single mass flywheel. 06+ OEM WRX or corresponding ACT streetlight flywheel will work.

OEM LGT clutch requires a dual mass flywheel. You can use OEM LGT or the lightweight SPEC LGT flywheel.

SPEC clutch requires a dual mass flywheel. You can use OEM LGT or the lightweight SPEC LGT flywheel.

then this is a sad day....cobb recomended the stock legacy clutch and act flywheel...and ordered the lgt clutch for me.

i guess i'm going with the act clutch and fly then, they had them both in stock. they were trying to save me $$ by selling me the stock clutch and act fly.

plus they say i'll hate the stiffness of the act clutch

with all the clutches that are going out we should consider a sticky on something like this....it sure would have been helpful a week ago! haha

I still can't believe that the cobb guys and all of the techs suggested the act fly and stock clutch

stock WRX clutch?

OEM WRX clutch (06+) requires a single mass flywheel. 06+ OEM WRX or corresponding ACT streetlight flywheel will work.

ACT Clutch (ACT-SB5-HDMM) requires a single mass flywheel. 06+ OEM WRX or corresponding ACT streetlight flywheel will work.

OEM LGT clutch requires a dual mass flywheel. You can use OEM LGT or the lightweight SPEC LGT flywheel.

SPEC clutch requires a dual mass flywheel. You can use OEM LGT or the lightweight SPEC LGT flywheel.

well, i told them to cancel the order on the stock clutch

the parts guy, cobb rep and techs at the dealer all swear to me the stock clutch will work with the act prolite flywheel.

I don't know what to believe now.

From what I've read' date=' the ACT clutch is only about 10-15% stiffer pedal feel at most over stock. You'd get used to that.[/quote']

well, i told them to cancel the order on the stock clutch

the parts guy, cobb rep and techs at the dealer all swear to me the stock clutch will work with the act prolite flywheel.

I don't know what to believe now.

Have the dealer put it in and tell them if it doesn't work, they owe you free labor on the correct parts.

Got to ACT's website and try to find an application for the LGT. You will not find it. You will however find an '06+WRX clutch/flyweel combo that will work in the the GT. But you have to use an entire WRX set up.:spin:

don't get me wrong...i agree with your theory...but at the same time I am dealing with a group of tech guys/very reputable, in person, whom have built numerous subaru's with no issues....including one of the baddest spec b's I have seen to date. my local subie house isn't the normal run of the mill. my current purchase history there has exceeded couple thou and the cobb rep and parts rep have yet to send me in the wrong direction.

now tech diagnosis has been a different story...the tech replaced my turbo when all that was wrong was an up pipe leak

i agree...if I do in fact (low chance) buy the stock clutch and lightweight fly I will have them document in writing that they will do the above suggestion..

i'll prolly just go ahead and get the full act setup tho. whats another 300 bucks anyway? haha

Archived