LegacyGT.com

Clutch advice

ABPillinois

ACT SB5-HDMM clutch and ACT Streetlite 600480 flywheel (06+WRX clutch and flywheel) Just installed another one today in an LGT and it is a fabulous moderate performance upgrade clutch. It holds plenty of power, engages smoothly and was near stock pedal effort. IMHO, the best option for a reasonably modded LGT.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, i told them to cancel the order on the stock clutch

the parts guy, cobb rep and techs at the dealer all swear to me the stock clutch will work with the act prolite flywheel.

I don't know what to believe now.

Absolutely 100% WILL NOT WORK. The stock clutch is made to work with the stock dual mass flywheel, which is a hell of a lot thicker than the ACT Prolite or Streetlite flywheels. ACT does not make a flywheel that will work with stock clutch.

ACT SB5-HDMM clutch and ACT Streetlite 600480 flywheel (06+WRX clutch and flywheel) Just installed another one today in an LGT and it is a fabulous moderate performance upgrade clutch. It holds plenty of power, engages smoothly and was near stock pedal effort. IMHO, the best option for a reasonably modded LGT.

Cool, that's what I've been reading.

Moderate in your terms would be any stage "2" set up (240-280whp/ 270wtq-300wtq)? I'm thinking anyone that moves to stage 3 levels (different turbo) may want to get something a bit more sturdy.

how about chatter with the lightweight fly? stop and go is traffic you'll need to pay a bit more attention.

Cool, that's what I've been reading.

Moderate in your terms would be any stage "2" set up (240-280whp/ 270wtq-300wtq)? I'm thinking anyone that moves to stage 3 levels (different turbo) may want to get something a bit more sturdy.

The full facing ACT clutch (SB5-HDMM) will hold far more than just a Stage 2 setup. It will be plenty fine even for guys running FP Green/SZ49 type turbos.

how about chatter with the lightweight fly? stop and go is traffic you'll need to pay a bit more attention.

I have never noticed any shudder/chatter with any of the ACT Streetlite/ACT full facing clutches I've driven. Some customers have reported some very mild occasional chatter, but nothing objectionable at all. If you do a ton of stop and go driving and are extremely concerned about chatter then you can certainly opt for an OEM 06+ WRX flywheel in conjunction with the ACT clutch.

well, i told them to cancel the order on the stock clutch

the parts guy, cobb rep and techs at the dealer all swear to me the stock clutch will work with the act prolite flywheel.

I don't know what to believe now.

on a non-spec B (cause I don't know what is in a spec-B) a stock clutck will not work with an act fly.

What is wrong with these people? I was the first person to try and use a stock style clutch with an 06+WRX style fly. It doesn't fit, ever, period............

ACT, Jon at TDC, and others all said it would...............NO! NO! NO!

The ACT flywheels are designed to fit an 06+ WRX and will work on our cars if you use an 06+ WRX type clutch and disc.

idiots:mad:

on a non-spec B (cause I don't know what is in a spec-B) a stock clutck will not work with an act fly.

What is wrong with these people? I was the first person to try and use a stock style clutch with an 06+WRX style fly. It doesn't fit, ever, period............

ACT, Jon at TDC, and others all said it would...............NO! NO! NO!

The ACT flywheels are designed to fit an 06+ WRX and will work on our cars if you use an 06+ WRX type clutch and disc.

idiots:mad:

what doesn't fit...i'm lost. It is a total of 6 cars they have put the combo on. 1 spec b and 5 gt's. These people are very respected in these parts and 4 out of 6 drive heavily modified subaru's. They have no idea of what warning you guys are giving me and posed the question "why"

I have all of these responses that say it won't work....but why won't it?

Ok...so if I am not already confused....what do you know about exedy?

what doesn't fit...i'm lost. It is a total of 6 cars they have put the combo on. 1 spec b and 5 gt's. These people are very respected in these parts and 4 out of 6 drive heavily modified subaru's. They have no idea of what warning you guys are giving me and posed the question "why"

I have all of these responses that say it won't work....but why won't it?

Ok...so if I am not already confused....what do you know about exedy?

well then something is getting lost in your telling us what they have done.

Your remarks before:

OEM WRXclutch (06+) requires a single mass flywheel. 06+ OEM WRX or corresponding ACT streetlight flywheel will work.

ACT Clutch (ACT-SB5-HDMM) requires a single mass flywheel. 06+ OEM WRX or corresponding ACT streetlight flywheel will work.

OEM LGT clutch requires a dual mass flywheel. You can use OEM LGT or the lightweight SPEC LGT flywheel.

SPEC clutch requires a dual mass flywheel. You can use OEM LGT or the lightweight SPEC LGT flywheel.

was 100% correct. I don't get what the problem is.

then you say:" the parts guy, cobb rep and techs at the dealer all swear to me the stock clutch will work with the act prolite flywheel."

You are right, they are wrong. They did not install a stock LGT clutch (and presure plate) with an ACT flywheel.

I never said this:

OEM WRXclutch (06+) requires a single mass flywheel. 06+ OEM WRX or corresponding ACT streetlight flywheel will work.

ACT Clutch (ACT-SB5-HDMM) requires a single mass flywheel. 06+ OEM WRX or corresponding ACT streetlight flywheel will work.

OEM LGT clutch requires a dual mass flywheel. You can use OEM LGT or the lightweight SPEC LGT flywheel. WHY is dual mass required?

SPEC clutch requires a dual mass flywheel. You can use OEM LGT or the lightweight SPEC LGT flywheel.

I have expreienced techs/reps that I have worked with in the past telling me it works and they have done it....

compared with 3 people I have never in my life met before telling me it won't , yet they cant tell me why

If I go with what I get off the forums I spend twice as much

So the techs are SAVING me money.

I just want to know why it won't work. I have nothing against you guys nor do I feel you don't know what you are talking about...however I would expect you would be able to tell me WHY it won't work

It won't work because it won't fit,what more do you want to know?

so rao, if I understand correctly you have tried fitting a stock legacy clutch with an ACT streetpro flywheel...and it wouldn't fit?

Who else...

^ LittleBlueGT, I was the one that supplied that list...not him.

I think he wants to know physically why it will not work.

He was using a stock wrx flywheel and stock legacy clutch.... self installation?

sorry, but that isn't what I am doing here.

I would never tackle a clutch job, much too scary for me :lol:

I don't understand. If you don't believe us than have your shop who seems to now what they are doing order the parts and see what happens. Worst case they will have your car apart and figure out what they actually need.

here is my point

on the boards...I have yet to find anyone that can attest to actually trying it....so, what I have seen is vendors that have said don't do it it won't work, buy this...the more expensive solution..... thus the reason no one can tell me why it won't work...jsut that it won't work

here locally.... techs that own built subarus, that build subarus, and are a true performance dealer...they tell me they have done it, and are actually making less money if selling the prolite with a stock clutch.

so now there is me....

this has been the most difficult and confusing addition to my subie...

if i get the parts, and they don't work, I am out the labor to have it fixed (which I don't have) (an independent is doing the install for me, there is no getting around the raping that the dealer charges for it)

if i go the route of the full act set up I spend more money

so...like I said above...the safe bet is act all the way or stock .

^ your own comment alone should show you the better choice...

"i just don't see the payout on buying the more expensive clutch, at least not on a stage2.5 car that is taken to the track maybe 4-6 times out of the year...."

Why not spend an extra $300 and have a set up that can withstand much more than stock and have more peace of mind? I wouldn't want the worry of knowing the stocker could fail at anytime...especially if you go to the track.

^ your own comment alone should show you the better choice...

"i just don't see the payout on buying the more expensive clutch, at least not on a stage2.5 car that is taken to the track maybe 4-6 times out of the year...."

Why not spend an extra $300 and have a set up that can withstand much more than stock and have more peace of mind? I wouldn't want the worry of knowing the stocker could fail at anytime...especially if you go to the track.

well, numerous reasons...mostly, having to cancel my son's boyscott trip so that I have the extra $300. I don't disagree that there is piece of mind in going with the act set up.... it's just that there are other unespected things/expenses going on in this 30 yr olds life right now other than the car.

I only wanted to know why it wouldn't work. Because somebody said so isn't good for me. But, yes, it isn't worth the risk, neither short term nor long term.

don't know if this will help the discussion or not as to fit. but here's LittleBlueGT's pick of what I believe to be the OEM LGT clutch/flywheel on the left and the Bullyclutch/OEM WRX (+06) flywheel on the right. Note: GT fly is thicker but the overall height of both set ups are the same.

Hey guys!

I'm new here, and this is my first post. I picked up my '05 LGT on Saturday in Baltimore and drove it back home to NY. My clutch is indeed slipping. The car has the Cobb up & downpipes and the Stage 1 93 octane AcessPORT map. Under moderate to heavy boost, there is definite slippage. I've read all of the posts here on clutches but still have a few questions. I don't plan on going beyond stage 2, and I want a clutch setup that will barely, if at all, affect daily driveability. What I've gathereed is that a '06 WRX fly and an ACT clutch are a good combination. Any feedback on this? Where can these parts be found for the best prices? How hard of a job would it be to do myself? I'm great at wrenching, but I have limited facilities @ home. Does anyone recommend going to a Subie dealer, or will Joe Greasemonkey's garage around the corner suffice? Thanks in advance for your help!

Archived