LegacyGT.com

Would you still buy a Legacy if there was no GT?

I noticed that the vast majority of my driving is <3K RPM's. IIRC, this means I'm barely using the turbo, if at all. If this is true, I'd still have considered the NA Legacy, because it'd still have a great compromising set of features-- just minus the turbo.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife introduced me to the Legacy GT wagon. Her criteria was manual transmission, heated seats and wagon while car shopping. They gave her NA Legacy sedan(no wagon avail) for feel and returned it promptly after 5 mins stating this is what my mum would drive. They handed her the keys to a LGT Wagon albiet 5EAT and feel in love. We had the last silver 5MT LGT silver wagon in northern New England located and sold.

The truth is she has only revved it past 4000 RPM a handful of times and she does not mind the RE92's.

Man, the second the turbo is out of the equation, all of a sudden the car is garbage?

While I would have loved to have a turbo, money-wise it just wasn't doable at this point. But I love my NA, and have modded it as much as I can without the turbo. The only difference on the outside of the car is the GT's hood scoop, so look-wise its basically exactly the same. I may not be able to outrun as many cars as a GT, but my n/a is 5 speed manual and fun as hell to drive with plenty of pep in its step. I'd buy another NA anyday. Yall are hatin.

I think we each had our own criteria of what constituted the winning car when we were shopping around. I wouldn't cross-shop the TL w/ the LGT becuase, according to the lens I was seeing through, they're not even competitors in my book.

I *was* very heavily shopping for a new 2.5i until I realized that I could buy a barely-used 2.5GT for only a few thousand less. I've read the power distribution via the AWD is slightly different between the 2.5i and 2.5GT after I got the GT-- not sure, at my level of performance driving, if I'd notice the difference?

Fundamentally, I wanted a Legacy for its feature-set, low center of gravity due to engine placement, and its simplistic AWD. I didn't care for the boxer engine, and the turbo was just icing on the cake. I believe I could probably still beat higher-cost, higher-caliber, higher-performance cars on clover-leaf interchanges in even an NA Legacy with relative ease (it's hilarious when we straighten out, I'm way far ahead of them, and then they punch the gas thinking they've overtaken me-- at 70 mph...). Just as I beat 350Z's and G35's in the '89 325i I had for a few months. That's what brings a smile to my face.

Man, the second the turbo is out of the equation, all of a sudden the car is garbage?

While I would have loved to have a turbo, money-wise it just wasn't doable at this point. But I love my NA, and have modded it as much as I can without the turbo. The only difference on the outside of the car is the GT's hood scoop, so look-wise its basically exactly the same. I may not be able to outrun as many cars as a GT, but my n/a is 5 speed manual and fun as hell to drive with plenty of pep in its step. I'd buy another NA anyday. Yall are hatin.

word....I'm with Frostbite

too many ppl drinkin this on here

http://www.warpedtoys.com/images/product_images/haterade.gif

I'm curious as to how many people can pass muster of being able to *properly handle* the GT's, or any other performance car's, delivery of power if they were in a compromised situation.

My bet is very few of them have that capability. Thankfully for GT owners, the AWD will be more forgiving of the driver's mistakes, than other car's drivetrains...

Being the owner of an older Legacy which was NA, I did consider the 2.5i as well but after test driving the GT, there was no looking back.

The power was just too addictive but thanks to the SI Drive, I usually keep it in the I mode unless I really need that extra power. ;)

I'm curious as to how many people can pass muster of being able to *properly handle* the GT's, or any other performance car's, delivery of power if they were in a compromised situation.

My bet is very few of them have that capability. Thankfully for GT owners, the AWD will be more forgiving of the driver's mistakes, than other car's drivetrains...

I think it is the other way around. In inclement weather AWD can put you over your head faster than FWD and probably RWD.

Krzys

PS No turbo no deal, except manual H6. I was looking for fun to drive sedan with manual, AWD was not necessary.

yeah. on a performance standpoint.

outside of the turbo, what does it have?

i wouldn't buy a subaru with no power. g35x or something else.

I think it is the other way around. In inclement weather AWD can put you over your head faster than FWD and probably RWD.

Krzys

PS No turbo no deal, except manual H6. I was looking for fun to drive sedan with manual, AWD was not necessary.

i agree man. acceleration even on ice isn't too bad...stopping...yeah. the added traction during accleration will fool ya.

I see it from both points. There are times when I wish I had some extra juice. For me, the MPG was a huge factor because it's my work car that averages 100+ miles per day(30K in one year). Cost was not a factor, the GT is cheap for what it does. If you don't live in snow country, why would you buy a NA subaru?...safety maybe...certainly not the looks. I'd have a Honda if I lived at lower elevation. I have owned subaru cars for quit some time and it's for one reason only, they they go in the snow. Audi would be nice but those things fall apart and i'd be bummed every time the car in front of me flung a rock and chipped the pretty paint.

I put just over 70miles a day on mine right now & really have no need for AWD other than it's performance in wet weather.

But a Honda.........NOT!!

Gas mileage for me really ranks down @ the bottom of the list. Though I get just under 30mpg with my setup:):)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

negative ghost rider...........

Sorry when car shopping a had a few things the car HAD to have. I could have gotten a demo IS250 awd, but its to slow. TL's are more expensive, and fwd only (which I may have over looked on the TL S), the Altima coupe wasn't out yet, and Evos/STis are just to boy racerish to me. Left me between a MS6, used S60r, and the LGT. The LGT was the most reliable, mod friendly, and had almost all the options I wanted. So thats why I have a LGT.

I fell into my 95 wagon 6 years ago, just needing a winter vehicle.

After driving it, and discovering it actually rode better than my 01 and 06 eclipses I decided to see how the new ones faired. So far so good.

I don't care it doesn't have a turbo, I spend the money I save in gas on more beer.

Archived