LegacyGT.com

Y-pipes and ground clearance

NSFW

I've read a bit about how aftermarket Y-pipes end up reducing ground clearance in the back. Has anyone seen different brands of Y-pipes side-by-side and noticed a difference in ground clearance between them?

Are there any clear winners or losers in this regard?

I've only had the SPT/Bosal V1 & Megan Racing. But between them, the Bosal was definitely lower. THe MEgan tucks up higher, and practically offer's the same clearance as stock.

I've never scraped my MR y-pipe and my car is easily 2" lower than stock. It has very good ground clearance.

I have the SPT Bosal V1 pipe as well as lowring springs and as described, it does sit lower that the stock pipe which requires me to roll the rear wheels onto wood so my jack can reach the rear diff w/o hitting the y-pipe. Other than that issue, I have not bottomed it out in any street or curb type situations
ignore him, he'll go away.

I got the Perrin Y-pipe (is it one of the largest? 3", splits to 2.5")

Lowered on iONs and I don't have any issues. I have a pretty steep incline decline that I go over on a daily basis..that is pretty much my judge of things.

Oh..there is one issue...I have the Craftsman Low profile racing jack...the 1.5 ton one.

When I try to jack up the rear diff...the jack's arm doesn't quite clear the pipe initially.

As you lift the rear diff, you can see the exhaust pushing up very slightly. The arm clears the exhaust really quickly (a couple of pumps of the jack), and the exhaust drips again to its normal location. This really isn't something to be concerned about...but different jacks are made differently so there may be issues with others.

+1 same experience with perrin. it actually tucks up prety tight and i have an issue with a heat shield i need to fix. have yet to hit anything with it. it has plenty of ground clearance and im dropped about 1.5"

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived