LegacyGT.com

Car sick

Howdy Folks,

My wife (just her) gets car sick at times when riding with me in the LGT. I have a 5MT and know how to drive ;).

She gets nauseous in traffic and always complains about how jerky the car is even when i'm really just taking it easy. She says she feels every little bump in the street. Other people have been in the car with me and have said that I am jerky...but compared to a AUTO.

When I accelerate I see her back against the seat and if not shifting fast, there will be 1 sec where during the change of gears where her torso moves slightly forward, and then when i give gas again, torso goes back against the seat.

Any suggestions? Maybe a STS? go for wider tires? Let her drive (passengers are more likely to get sick than the driver)? Any one else had spouses and g/f complain about the cars ride?

Thanks,

David

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my wife is the same way in my 05gt mt. but before my lgt shes never rode in a mt.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Have her lean her seat back more. Duct tape her head to the head rest. Problem fixed.

But in all seriousness it shouldn't be jerky at all if you're trying to be smooth. I've been told that I drive smoother than a lot of ATs, and my driving has actually convinced a friend to learn to drive and get a MT in his newest car.

hold the clutch pedel in longer when shifting into the next gear, that should remove the jerk between shifts.

or or... practice like takumi's dad made him do when on tofu runs

with a cup, full of water in the cup holder... try not to spill it :)

I thought about mentioning the time my boss asked for a ride to the rental place, and the guy has a small styrofoam cup of fresh hot coffee with no lid. What was he thinking walking out with that? Luckily I kept him from spilling a drop.

Have her ride with you more often, it will go away.

I literally felt sick to my stomach for the first month of so when driving my Accord. It was not a pleasant feeling to buy a brand new vehicle and feel like throwing up when driving it!

Wife complained of the same.

Over time, the feeling went away. Luckily I have had no such feeling in the LGT.

Accord was a manual too, but was my 3rd manual in a row (making LGT 4th) so I'm not sure what was up with that.

Also, no complaints in LGT about jerky ride unless I screw up. Once you're used to the clutch it's easy to make it amazingly smooth, have gotten a number of compliments from people who have never been in a manual they couldn't feel shift.

Im not a great driver. the miata feels like a galloping horse.

but the legacy does feel like it's an easier car to drive smoothly.

I think if you truly want comfort you'll have to sacrifice some clutch life. take it slow and you should be fine.

car for sale. PM me!

My wife gets nauseous, too. It's not how I handle a MT because she never had a problem with the other MTs I've owned. She thinks it's the droning from the TBE.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

Maybe shes just sensitive and nothing short of a Cadillac is going to change the way she feels, or your shifting skills are not what you think they are.

I have seriously had 3 comments on my shifting from passengers since I got my spec.b (no, not my first manual, but I can't remember ever getting compliments on my shifting from anyone but my mother while teaching me to drive a awd turbo 5spd 11 years ago). The 6mt is smooth, but nowhere close to as mushy and soft as the 5mt which would make it even easier to drive. A little bit more practice or a daily chiropractic appointment for the wife and she will be ok.

hold the clutch pedel in longer when shifting into the next gear, that should remove the jerk between shifts.

or or... practice like takumi's dad made him do when on tofu runs

with a cup, full of water in the cup holder... try not to spill it :)

This car takes some practice, especially shifting to 2nd and 3rd gears. You almost have to hold for a split second and rev match. I am very anal about this. I want people outside of my car not to able to tell I'm driving a MT when I'm not driving spirited. Also, if you are close to a highway you might not be getting enough practice rowing throught the gears. The only reason your wife should get sick is if you're catless (Stg 2). :p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I also find this car a bit harder to drive smoothly than other MT's, but it can be done. I learned real fast that I wasn't very smooth after watching my dog suffer riding shotgun with no harness. :eek: But now we have no problems at all. I've got two driving styles now, depending on whether I have company - human or canine - in the car or not.

If your wife is complaining I'd have to agree that it's your technique, not the car - sorry.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Im not a great driver. the miata feels like a galloping horse.

but the legacy does feel like it's an easier car to drive smoothly.

I'm the complete opposite: my 2002 Miata was WAY easier to drive smoothly than my LGT, at least from a MT shifting perspective. Ride quality was another matter as the Miata was pretty stiffly sprung and had a massive front sway bar.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

hmm...I'll try holding the clutch in longer..see how that works and let you guys know.

My wife has been with me since I got the car and has 53K miles on it, so she's had plenty of time to get used to it if its something she could get used to it.

Thanks for all the responses :-)

I'm the complete opposite: my 2002 Miata was WAY easier to drive smoothly than my LGT, at least from a MT shifting perspective. Ride quality was another matter as the Miata was pretty stiffly sprung and had a massive front sway bar.

haha my miata is a 96. something's off with it, i dont know what. yours is still baby.

mine's geriatric. car dips and squats like mad. ah well..

car for sale. PM me!

Mayby shes pregnant? ;)

Somepeople just get carsick, could be the angle in which she sits and sees out of the window in this particular car, have her adjust the seat so she sees less of the ground/movement.... alter the the enviroment of the car, i.e. airfreshener, Air on in car, musiq ect... to keep her mind distracted.

It could also just be your driving ;) the car is not the easiest to drive no... but once your used to it, and by 56k miles you should be able to shift through the full range of gears smoother then a AT if you chose too, acourse theres still the 1/10 times youll mess up a lil as theres little to no feedback in the throttle but still..... Possibly change the way you drive, i.e. adjust the seat so your at different distances/angles from the peddles and see if you notice a change.

My Xwife used to get carsick reguardless on longer trips, even traveling in my comfy suburban would have to stop and pick up some dramamine (motion sickness over the counter drug)

Goodluck!!!

Howdy Folks,

My wife (just her) gets car sick at times when riding with me in the LGT. I have a 5MT and know how to drive ;).

She gets nauseous in traffic and always complains about how jerky the car is even when i'm really just taking it easy. She says she feels every little bump in the street. Other people have been in the car with me and have said that I am jerky...but compared to a AUTO.

When I accelerate I see her back against the seat and if not shifting fast, there will be 1 sec where during the change of gears where her torso moves slightly forward, and then when i give gas again, torso goes back against the seat.

David

Youre just going to learn how to drive smoother, sorry, but putting in new parts won't make you a smoother stick driver, the driver usually can't tell as easily as the passenger if the car doesnt shift smoothly.

Learn how to drive better, I don't drive herky jerky ...

seriously that is the answer. drive the lgt smoothly takes practice even if you have experience driving manuals. the turbo +dm flyhweel +awd makes it slightly more complicated then off gas, clutchin, shift, clutch out, gas.

you can actually do undectable shifts once you get it down. start by nto letting the clutch out so fast especially on the 1-2 shift.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived