LegacyGT.com

No Legacy Wagons

prof555

I got my 2005 Legacy GT Limited wagon end of September. I could not find a 2007 anywhere in the country. I told my dealer to find a used one and he found one in Washington state! So instead of buying a 2007 or 2008 I had to go used as new was not an option. Poor planning on Subaru's part. The killed the WRX Wagon and I will not do that jacked up pseudo-SUV Outback or a Forester. I prefer handling and I don't care for more ground clearance. When I replace the LGT I'm not sure if I would have to go to a smaller WRX STI hatch (tempting) or not do Subaru at all. I'm not happy with the selection of vehicles. I'm not leaning toward sedans also even though I do like the Legacy GT Sedan. So that leaves only two cars in my lineup, Legacy GT Sedan or Impreza WRX STI hatch (If it gets the DSG trans).

Yeah I had a very difficult time trying to find one of the last remaining '07 Legacy wagons.

Had to put a small deposit down to show I was serious...then it took over a month for the dealer to get it. Production stopped I think in Q1 or Q2 at the very latest.

It ended up saving me about $3000 vs the leather-seat Outback model

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I guess I lucked out. May have been the last Legacy wagon in Dark Grey Metallic off the factory assembly line. Picked mine up at the dealer in March 2007...the factory stamp on the door said it was manufactured in February.

Good for you. For the rest it's used only from now on.

I plan on keeping my 05LGT MT for few years and then I'll be on the market again. There are few possibilities - either SOA brings LGT wagons back with new gen Legacies or US dollar gets back to good exchange rate with Canadian dollars. Otherwise, there will be plenty of used 535xi wagons with twin-turbo 300hp 6 inline and 6MT to choose from ;)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I got my 2005 Legacy GT Limited wagon end of September. I could not find a 2007 anywhere in the country. I told my dealer to find a used one and he found one in Washington state! So instead of buying a 2007 or 2008 I had to go used as new was not an option. Poor planning on Subaru's part.

Pretty much what happened to me. I was planning to get LGT 5MT wagon in 2007 as I just got a new house in 05 and couldn't afford a new car at the time. Well, guess what, 2007 comes and there is no more LGT wagons with 5MT that SOA is willing to sell.

I spent about 3-4 months hunting down my LGT 5MT wagon. All good ones were flying off dealer lots within days. The one I've got was just listed in the afternoon and I drove to dealer same night - got there 15 minutes before they closed. Car wasn't even cleaned yet. I test drove and bought it next day. And I paid almost MSRP for used one since it had very low mileage. SOA could have gotten a new vehicle sale on this one.

I don't get it. You make a product in this country and then you refuse to sell it to local public. Whatever their expense is in keeping LGT wagons available in US, they should have kept them at least to preserve market share.

Agreed on the 535xi, seems like the best of all worlds for US performance wagon lovers, except for that pricetag, ouch.

That's why I'm saying used 535xi. Depreciation graph for bimmers looks like ballistic missile trace at the descending phase :lol:

Guest Gitster
That's why I'm saying used 535xi. Depreciation graph for bimmers looks like ballistic missile trace at the descending phase :lol:

Kinda like Subaru ??? :lol:

Agreed on the 535xi, seems like the best of all worlds for US performance wagon lovers, except for that pricetag, ouch.

The Saab 9-3 is attractive but the reviews have been mixed.

Looks like I will be keeping the Leggy for a long long time... :)

I had a 2005 Leagacy GT and we had a baby. Wanted more space for stuff and thought the LGT Wagon would fit the bill. So sorry, no new wagons by Subaru...dumb asses! Looked at a lot of wagons and settled on a Saab 9-3 Sprotcombi V6. Great engine and torque but miss the all wheel drive of the Suby. So far, no problems and has way more standard equip than the Suby - rear assist, mp3, bluetooth, XM , xenon lights, memory seats. Would have loved to get another Suby but oh well.

I had a 2005 Leagacy GT and we had a baby. Wanted more space for stuff and thought the LGT Wagon would fit the bill. So sorry, no new wagons by Subaru...dumb asses! Looked at a lot of wagons and settled on a Saab 9-3 Sprotcombi V6. Great engine and torque but miss the all wheel drive of the Suby. So far, no problems and has way more standard equip than the Suby - rear assist, mp3, bluetooth, XM , xenon lights, memory seats. Would have loved to get another Suby but oh well.

I understand the new SportCombi wil have AWD and MT available!! The car magazines first reports of preproduction cars indicate the SAAB AWD system is the best ever tested. Still waiting on a full report.

• 3 weeks later...
I want to urge everyone here in the forum to send lots of E mails to Subaru complaining about the unavailability of the Legacy wagon in ANY form here in the US.Ive sent three already. They will give you a song and dance about what the product planners want and even lie about the car not being produced. Obviously we know its being manufactured; we can see the 08 wagons on Canadian sites for gods sake! They must think we are stupid. It wouldnt surprise me if the 08 wagons for Canada are being manufactured here in the US where we cant buy them.My family has owned 8 Subarus...all wagons with the exception of my sons STI. We currently have 3 Legacy wagons, two of them GTs; 2004, 1999, 1998. I guess Ill be looking at a Mazda 6 wagon this year. Im REALLY angry about this.

I don't think I oppose Subaru dropping the Legacy wagon. I just don't appreciate that body style. I love the Impreza wagons (97-99). I can't honestly say I like very many of the new body styles Subaru has to offer these days. It seems like older body styles of many imports are always more appealing me.Just my opinion:)

Subaru has a dedicated wagon in the Outback. Makes no sense to overlap it with the Legacy GT. Likewise an Outback Sedan shouldnt compete with the Legacy GT

Subaru is getting much better at staggering their product lines.

Unless someone thinks Subaru should have a Legacy compact to compete with the Impreza and Legacy Crossover to compete with the Forester and Tribeca. Makes about as much sense as having a Legacy Wagon to compete with the Outback

Subaru has a dedicated wagon in the Outback. Makes no sense to overlap it with the Legacy GT. Likewise an Outback Sedan shouldnt compete with the Legacy GT.

We appreciate your opinion, but it makes sense to Legacy wagon buyers who would not touch Outback wagon.

Subaru has a dedicated wagon in the Outback. Makes no sense to overlap it with the Legacy GT. Likewise an Outback Sedan shouldnt compete with the Legacy GT

Unless someone thinks Subaru should have a Legacy compact to compete with the Impreza and Legacy Crossover to compete with the Forester and Tribeca. Makes about as much sense as having a Legacy Wagon to compete with the Outback

If I can't get my wagon, can I get a two door fastback/hatch???

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

+1 I'd have to agree with you. Even though many people on the forum here would love to see a legacy wagon it's rather redundant to have that in the line up considering there is already the Outback wagon.

The outback sedan barely made a blip. No one is clamoring for it's return, with the advent of the 3.0R Legacy sedan.

However, the Outback is different than the Legacy wagon, in terms of ride height and handling. Look at the picture above, and you can see white under the chassis. That is tall, and not everyone wants that. The Impreza 5-door is not an alternative to it, as it is smaller and uglier.

The Legacy wagon is viable, if stocked and advertized properly. Neither was done before, and those who bought wagons had to search or special order. NOT the best way to make a car sell well. Assuming that the distribution people always do things the best way is perhaps assuming too much. The result might be low stats, which also causes product planners to do the same thing.

Limiting colors, color choices, transmission choices, removing the non-limited budget GT, and over-pricing the Spec B without any configuration options are ALL examples of inferior support of the Legacy. Removing the Legacy wagon is just their speed, and possibly the worst of those choices, with the least recourse for consumers.

Volvo is rumored to be emphasizing their wagons, and starting to push them, to differentiate them in the market. Where is subaru? Gone. People were sad to see the Magnum being cancelled. Subaru beat them and cut the legacy earlier.

What wagons that aren't a foot off the ground, are left? Upcoming G8 is about it, or FWD volvos and VWs that don't have the space or the performance.

Ok. given that subaru doesn't want to throw money away by stocking and then selling short a bunch of Legacy wagons... I know they don't like stock that they can't sell (one could argue that SOA isn't helping them sell any by lack of marketing...)

WHY the hell not at least offer the order code for people to order one from the factory, which still builds them, with manual transmission available, for Canada. US/imperial gauge cluster changes everything from metric, and there you go. Why can't someone order that from their local subaru dealer?

Subaru is not the infallible entity that some people think. It seems to be common for people to think that big, nebulous organizations that they don't personally have contact with, are automatically perfect. Corporations, even the government. Quite the contrary is true, they tend to be wrong more often than right, when they don't listen to their customers/constituents.

SOA has bungled more than they have done right. Remember, SOA doesn't actually design these cars. FHI/Subaru of Japan does. SOA only modifies and coordinates with them for sale in the US. That is the reason the Legacy has such poor support in the US, compared to the rest of the world. SOA is the reason that options for the Legacy have been on the average decline, not increase, since 2005.

The fact that there are no subaru coupes coming back is a problem that goes all the way back to FHI, but SOA would probably screw that up, too.

Dumb question here...but what about raising the Legacy??? Do you need to purchase coil-overs only?

The Legacy most say is still a better look without the fugly bumper moldings found on the Outback.

It would be easier to pull the moldings off of an outback, and put legacy bumper covers on. Personally, I like the fender flares and the side molding doesn't bother me. If one could get aggressive sporty front and rear sedan bumpers that have the fender flare shape on them, I'd put that on my lowered Legacy, much like a Corazon widebody kit. The soft-roader front and rear bumper cover designs are the only really dowdy outback parts, IMHO, and I don't like my car that tall, because I don't need it.

Coil overs usually don't increase ride height, as they aren't intended to, unless you are buying them for your truck's lift kit.

You would probably have to buy the outback's springs and struts, and subframe spacers and bolts, and basically re-create the Outback's suspension.

It would probably be easier to convert an Outback to a Legacy body by removing trim, and outbacks are much more common. to find. They are also available with 3.0 H6, which the Legacy wagon wasn't around long enough to get.

Someone would love your Legacy wagon, please don't butcher it, sell it and buy an outback, please.

It would be easier to pull the moldings off of an outback, and put legacy bumper covers on.

Coil overs usually don't increase ride height, as they aren't intended to, unless you are buying them for your truck's lift kit.

You would probably have to buy the outback's springs and struts, and subframe spacers and bolts, and basically re-creating the Outback's suspension.

It would probably be easier to convert an Outback to a Legacy body by removing trim, and outbacks are much more common. Someone would love your Legacy, please don't butcher it, sell it and buy an outback, please.

Not really. The plastic cladding is the worst offender - there are holes in the doors that support it. Also the door metal itself is different - note the "plastic guard" molding is recessed on Legacy and it's "slap on" Outback. This alone adds to the fugliness of Outback.

I looked into converting suspension between Legacy and Outback. Is not that bad actually. There are spacers between body and subframe, also rear laternal links are different. Of course strusts/springs are different as well.

Another problem though is 4.44 final drive ratio on Outback vs. 4.11 on Legacy (and 3.9 more recently, on 07+).

EDIT: Also the brakes are smaller, and the steering rack is slower.

When you add it up these are substantial differences.

It would be easier to pull the moldings off of an outback, and put legacy bumper covers on. Personally, I like the fender flares and the side molding doesn't bother me. If one could get aggressive sporty front and rear sedan bumpers that have the fender flare shape on them, I'd put that on my lowered Legacy, much like a Corazon widebody kit. The soft-roader front and rear bumper cover designs are the only really dowdy outback parts, IMHO, and I don't like my car that tall, because I don't need it.

You would probably have to buy the outback's springs and struts, and subframe spacers and bolts, and basically re-create the Outback's suspension.

It would probably be easier to convert an Outback to a Legacy body by removing trim, and outbacks are much more common. to find. They are also available with 3.0 H6, which the Legacy wagon wasn't around long enough to get.

Someone would love your Legacy wagon, please don't butcher it, sell it and buy an outback, please.

H a ha ha ...yeah true. I won't butcher my precious Christine. Actually keeping the exterior completely stock. Only focusing my efforts on interior upgrades. I didn't realize it was that difficult to raise the suspension.

I might sell my wagon in 5 - 10 years and get the Outback wagon if SOA can finally get the MPG up to 40 + by then. Have the 6 year/80K ext warranty anyways.

Ok. legacy doors should be pretty easy to bolt on by their hinges, and front and rear bumper change, a legacy dog-leg piece between the rear door and the rear wheel well, legacy side sills. Then a paint job to match it all to the car's base color.

I still think the way to go is to clean up the exterior of an Outback if you want tall, than to muck with a Legacy wagon that is no longer available, and someone else might want to get ahold of.

The final drive bit might be a little different, and the brakes are bigger on a GT Legacy than a similar XT outback...

I dunno. I just wish that one still had the option to buy an outback or a legacy wagon.

And you can get a Legacy Wagon H6 if you don't buy it in the US:

http://www.subaru.se/legacy_30r_sw_version.aspx

:eek:

453747.png

Archived