LegacyGT.com

My Uppipe install (with pictures...)

I found this stuff: Ceramic based sealant, good for temperatures up to 2350 degrees fahrenheit. [url]http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/pdf/907gf.pdf[/url] Apparently it's been available since 2000 but I haven't seen any independent references to anyone actually using the product. If it squishes inside the exhaust joint and crumbles off and gets sucked into the turbo it would not be pretty. I'd stick with silicones.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McCorry, If you take a rubber hose and hold 1 end to your ear and place the other end nera each joint you may pinpoint the leak - even at idle. You may want to check the compression ring that clamps the 2 halfs of the turbo together. Someone else had noise after an uppipe install and soved the problem by tightening the ring. When I gutted my uppipe and finished the reassembly I found the ring on my very loose.

Already checked the ring after another member PM'ed me about that. It was tight. Definately sounds like the uppipe to turbo flange...but it is hard to be certain. Just got home tonight from Chi-town and the gaskets are here!

Well... pulled it apart tonight and found that the lower up-pipe flange had been leaking. Went to put my new gaskets on and found the problem. The bottom flange is cut wrong and the hole is not centered on the Subaru gasket. ARGH! Now I need to figure out how I am going to address this... Looks like my only option is to put it together with the crappy gaskets that came with the up-pipe. At least I know what the problem is now.... I would really like to get a hold of a gutted Subaru up-pipe and use that! Anyone have one handy!?!? :D

It's an ERZ unit. The more I work with it the less impressed with it I get. It looks nice and is constructed fairly well, but the flanges leave much to be desired. The weren't true (flat), the studs are slightly mislocated, and the pipe is not located in the flanges like the Subaru pipes (and gaskets). The hole in the ERZ is bigger and shifted (making it that the OEM gasket won't seal up correctly....

[quote name='mccorry']It's an ERZ unit. The more I work with it the less impressed with it I get. It looks nice and is constructed fairly well, but the flanges leave much to be desired. The weren't true (flat), the studs are slightly mislocated, and the pipe is not located in the flanges like the Subaru pipes (and gaskets). The hole in the ERZ is bigger and shifted (making it that the OEM gasket won't seal up correctly....[/QUOTE] I'd return the sucker and get a Helix if your lookin for a flex pipe.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

• 3 months later...
Never did one on a WRX... but you can leave the downpipe in there. Just have to take it loose from the hanger, transmission, and turbo outlet... then it will pull back about 1 inch and drop down out of the way. Then you can get to all of the Uppipe bolts.... It is hard to get a picture of the uppipe installed.... sorry... After 3 months, still no leaks or other issues. In retrospect.... I made some foolish errors due to not being more observant. The ERZ pipe does do very well if you use their included gaskets.

[size=2]If you EVER plan on changing the DP do it when you do the uppipe ;) [/size] [size=2] [/size] [font='Times New Roman'][url="http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194"][u][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800080]this[/color][/size][/font][/u][/url][font=Verdana][size=2] is a very good walkthrough on an uppipe install with some pics for you. [/size][/font][/font]

• 4 months later...
Hey bro, pix on your original post are down. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Hey bro, NP - just wanted to make sure you knew. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i am currently working on taking out the cat in an OEM WRX uppipe that will be swapped out w/ my stock one. fortunately, one of the techs at the subie dealer here is helping me out and will be installing it. he had an extra one (don't ask) laying around his garage and told me if i can hammer it out, we'll clean it up and get all the crap out then install it on my LGT. should add some good hp. :) whoo hoo! i love cheap mods!
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Actually... don't look for any extra HP. It is really more of a mod for prevention (cat going into the turbo). I got a SLIGHT drop in turbo spool RPM, but nothing to write home about. If you want HP.. do a DP with Stg. 2 AP.

well, i was just standing around his giant pile of extra parts from a gutted wrx. i was bored so we decided to give it a whirl. if i can get ANYTHING from it, i'll be happy. :)
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived