LegacyGT.com

Car over a year old - flush the clutch hydraulic system

I flushed mine when I had the intercooler off to get better access to the trans/front diff fill tube. My wife was not amused about having to pull the clutch pedal up after every "bleed", but at least it got done.

Make sure you don't run the reservoir dry - it is much smaller than the brake reservoir. There's a bleed screw on the clutch master cylinder if you prefer to pump the old nasty brake fluid out of the master before you bleed out the slave cylinder.

One of the nice things about doing regular brake/clutch hydraulic fluid flushes is that the bleed screws will not be seized up when you /really/ need to use them, such as after replacing a failed master cylinder or leaking brake hose.

After the fluid change, my chest hair grew three inches, my breath became fresher, and the LGT gained 5 hp at the wheels. YMMV.

-Ryan

After flushing my clutch slave cylinder today I can honestly say I've noticed nothing different in how my car performs what so ever. What a phucking waste of time, materials, and energy. This is a stupid thread.

Hi RC!:lol:

ignore him, he'll go away.

Can you use teh hi-po synthetic for this? Any point in using it?

Just like the breaks any DOT3 approved brake fluid.

I'll leave the discussion of exotic/expensive brake fluid to others, but the clutch fluid does not see temps anywhere near as high a the breaks.

Weasel - It sounds like Rich is cheating on me :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I just flushed mine last night. 56k miles and this was probably the first time it had been done. There was a good amount of sediment and crap in the reservoir and the fluid I flushed out looked pretty bad. Clutch/pedal enagagement seems abit more smooth. Everyone should do this if only to get all the crap out of the system.

• 8 months later...

Hey .... do you REALLY need to take the intercooler off?

From looking it almost seems like I should be able to get to it with just the engine cover off....

The intercooler can be a pain sometimes...

I'd rather not take it off...

I bought a medicine dropper today and might just take out the fluid that way and refill with new.

Not a full bleed but better than nothing maybe...

i didnt take the intercooler out, i have a brake bleeder thingie that hooks INTO the hole of the bleeder screw. i also removed some of the dark amber fluid with an old inkjet refill syringe. havent driven it yet, but it should be fine

what is the brake bleeder thing look like?

from the looks of it I should be able to put some plastic tube over the spout and open it... .. releasing the fluid into the tube....

OR.... I could just remove it with the syringe.

I will be going to the garage soon!

brake flush was the only thing listed in 60k service that I didn't personally do....

It was kind of tight in there with the intercooler ON... so I just took the syringe and took a some fluid out.... put some new stuff in...

then took some fluid out again....

the color of the fluid was a little DARKER than new fluid...

now it looks pretty good!

Wasn't too much junk in there so not a big deal...

hopefully the fluid has a chance to kind of recirculate since I didn't really "FLUSH" or BLEED

• 4 months later...
Clutch worked better for about 30 shifts on a 15 minute test drive. peadl is going soft again and not completely disengaging the clutch. this leads me to believe either the Clutch master or the clutch slave is bad (no sign of leaks). How do I determine which one is bad?

• 7 years later...

It is cheap and easy. RC0032 and I did both of our cars today.

1. Remove intercooler

2. Top off clutch reservoir

3. attach tube to bleeder on slave cylinder

4. push clutch pedal to the floor

5. open bleeder

6. Pull clutch pedal back up

7. Repeat until you have run fluid through the system and no more air bubbles come out - it is just like bleeding brakes but easier and you can do it without a helper (which is sort of like having RC0032 around :lol: ).

It will not make a night and day difference, but it does improve clutch feel and the fluid does absorb water - it is brake fluid after all.

Is it even necessary to push down the clutch pedal when flushing the system? Why not let gravity drain the old fluid through the open bleeder while you keep refilling the reservoir with fresh fluid? Or am I missing something?

Another flushing method I have seen online is:

1. siphon old fluid out of reservoir, add fresh fluid.

2. vigorously pump pedal 2 dozen times to mix new and old fluid

3. repeat process several more times if you have been ignoring this maintenance over the previous years

4. thereafter, do the process once a year

This saves you the work of removing the intercooler.

Archived