LegacyGT.com

Subaru Extra-s gear oil - cat's meow!

I used the Extra-S as is no additive. Fine so far shifts like Butter.... If you want to still use redline.... go ahead just trying to help with my experience.

Is is the rear diff that may/may not benefit from the additive.

Good to hear that your shifts are smooth.:)

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing I question is whether the LSD units they recommend the friction modifier for are of the VC type or the clutch-type.

Friction modifier for clutch-type. VC-type are self contained with their own fluid.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Friction modifier for clutch-type. VC-type are self contained with their own fluid.

Of course. That's why Subaru has a dedicated OEM fluid for 04-06 STI rear diffs, which were clutch type. 07+ are Torsens, so regular gear oil will do in those.

I'm now on my second fill of the subaru extra-s gearlube. I wasn't expecting the shift qualit to change compared to my first fill but it actually improved. This didn't make sense to me till I went and measured the quantity of lube I was able to drain from the tranny. I was only able to pull 3.25 L while the capacity is a little over 3.5L. FWIW, the previous fill had a a cup or two of redline NS mixed in with it (undrained portion).

Are you putting straight Extra S in both the MT/front diff and rear diff too? No additives, etc? I have Redline on the shelf and Extra S on the way...will probably wait for Extra S to arrive.

I'm now on my second fill of the subaru extra-s gearlube. I wasn't expecting the shift qualit to change compared to my first fill but it actually improved. This didn't make sense to me till I went and measured the quantity of lube I was able to drain from the tranny. I was only able to pull 3.25 L while the capacity is a little over 3.5L. FWIW, the previous fill had a a cup or two of redline NS mixed in with it (undrained portion).

What do you think about the Amsoil SVG? I want to switch to Amsoil, but do I use SVG or Long life?

Amsoil SVG is horrible in the tranny. Below freezing you can't shift up or down without double clutching.

I only use it in the rear-dif. The magnet has been free of metal bits since I switched over to Amsoil SVG in the rear.

• 2 months later...
That's what I figured. So to correct my earlier posts, the 75W90NS would work for the transmission and VC or Torsen rear diffs.

I have about 1,500 miles with Redline 75W-90NS in the transmission (5MT) and rear diff. Shifts very smooth, with a bit more "feel" to the syncros, definitely not grinding, rather you can feel the mechanical parts kind of lining up as they sync.

I almost wonder if the tech adjusted my clutch (although I did not ask, nor did they bill or specify that they did make an adjustment) because the clutch action is super-smooth now... Taking off in 1st used to be very jumpy but now it's much much easier to modulate the clutch and get smooth shifting between all gears. Not sure why though... :confused:

^ Well, there you go... I guess he didn't adjust the clutch. I'm left wondering then, how could the new fluids make such a drastic improvement in the clutch action? I was under the impression it was a dry clutch.

Possibly lubed the pedal shaft, the slave cylinder to throwout arm and less likely the transmission snout where the the TOB rides. Could have been an issue with air in the clutch system and that was bled. Other than that, no idea. Is it that the clutch is smoother or the shifts are smoother?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Oh yea, except for the adjustable pedal.:rolleyes:

It is in vac pics.

Non-adjustable in the traditional sense of the slave cylinder/cable adjustment at the TOB arm which would be the one to control the actual clutch PP engagement point. I believe the adjustment you're referring to is for the clutch switch which deactivates the cruise control and closes the start circuit to enable the engine to start.

SBT

Non-adjustable in the traditional sense of the slave cylinder/cable adjustment at the TOB arm which would be the one to control the actual clutch PP engagement point. I believe the adjustment you're referring to is for the clutch switch which deactivates the cruise control and closes the start circuit to enable the engine to start.

SBT

The adjustment I am referring to is for the clutch engagement.

My engagement was right at the floor when I first got my BullyClutch installed. I then had to adjust that rod (which goes right to the clutch master cylinder) to bring it up to the desired point.

The point is: IT IS ADJUSTABLE!

Maybe I should post this screenshot instead:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/clutchpedaladj-1.jpg

Okay - we can agree to disagree. There's no adjustment at the slave cylinder (which has a finite throw with no adjustment). The adjustment you're referring to, is where in the pedal swing the slave cylinder "activates", not how far it opens and or closes.

Yes, the engagement point could have been changed through that adjustment, which would make it feel different to the OP, but I thought he was referring to how "smooth" the pedal feel was in the engagement, which prompted my comments about lubing the components.

More clear?

SBT

Okay - we can agree to disagree. There's no adjustment at the slave cylinder (which has a finite throw with no adjustment). The adjustment you're referring to, is where in the pedal swing the slave cylinder "activates", not how far it opens and or closes.

Yes, the engagement point could have been changed through that adjustment, which would make it feel different to the OP, but I thought he was referring to how "smooth" the pedal feel was in the engagement, which prompted my comments about lubing the components.

More clear?

SBT

OK. I understand.

Possibly lubed the pedal shaft, the slave cylinder to throwout arm and less likely the transmission snout where the the TOB rides. Could have been an issue with air in the clutch system and that was bled. Other than that, no idea. Is it that the clutch is smoother or the shifts are smoother?

SBT

Okay, was a bit out of the loop today doing wedding prep stuff...

The new transmission fluid definitely changed (for the better, IMO) the feel of the actual shift. As stated, there is more "feel" to the synchros, which may be accentuated by the Cobb STS.

However, the clutch engagement has also improved, which is what prompted my adjustment comment. Taking off in first used to be hit-or-miss in that sometimes the clutch/flywheel/PP would kind of "bounce" making for a jumpy start, and sometimes it would be smooth. Now, it is smooth all the time and it is much easier to get smooth shifts without paying really close attention to rev matching, although I still do.

Let me clarify that by "bounce" I mean in a rotation/torsion way, rather than the clutch/PP bouncing off the flywheel axially.

Archived