LegacyGT.com

Subaru Extra-s gear oil - cat's meow!

I like smooth shirts :lol:

i'll bet you do. btw i hope you don't make a mistake b/c i'll have some good advice you. bosco

:lol:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gitster

Dammnit they put that Valvoline synthetic crap in my tranny yesterday. Shifting is NOT any smoother, and I thought it was getting real rough at 36k.

I hope my syncros are alright :eek:

Do you stock this in the 'new' quart/liter containers?

My local dealer quoted me the low, low price of $26.00 / quart:eek::eek::eek:

At 6 quarts, I could buy your big barrel cheaper!;)

Just trying to not stock that much gear oil in my shop if possible.

Great price though.

The Suby 75w90 GL-5 Synthetic lube is always available @ http://www.ThekingOfParts.com in the drivetrain section :)

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Do you stock this in the 'new' quart/liter containers?

My local dealer quoted me the low, low price of $26.00 / quart:eek::eek::eek:

At 6 quarts, I could buy your big barrel cheaper!;)

Just trying to not stock that much gear oil in my shop if possible.

Great price though.

Hmmmm, did you happen to get a part # for the quarts? If so, hit me up with it. The only way I know to get it is the 5 gallon way.

-Jeremy

Hmmmm, did you happen to get a part # for the quarts? If so, hit me up with it. The only way I know to get it is the 5 gallon way.

-Jeremy

I'll call and get the part number. I know the dealership was being totally honest and ethical when they said it now comes in quart containers.:p

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I had Motul gear oil in my rear end and my tranny. Unfortunately, a month after putting it in my tranny, my tranny broke. So that kinda sucked. Subaru worked on my tranny but I went back with the Subaru oil. It seems to suck. Shifting is definitely harder when your running all out shifting at high RPM's. I am somewhat afraid now though to put synthetic back in my tranny after it broke. It may have just been a crazy coincidence, but it still worrys me some.

Anyone else know much about Motul synthetic gear oil??

it might just be a coincidence but my buddy Dave's maxima started grinding during shifts when he switched to motul gear oil (gear 300v i think). we switched him back to smurf juice (the old blue Amsoil gear oil) and the grinding went away. when we eventually rebuilt the tranny the lower gear synchro rings were pretty mangled and corroded looking. I'm not certain if it was his hard driving or the motul which did the damage... or something else

I had Motul gear oil in my rear end and my tranny. Unfortunately, a month after putting it in my tranny, my tranny broke. So that kinda sucked. Subaru worked on my tranny but I went back with the Subaru oil. It seems to suck. Shifting is definitely harder when your running all out shifting at high RPM's. I am somewhat afraid now though to put synthetic back in my tranny after it broke. It may have just been a crazy coincidence, but it still worrys me some.

Anyone else know much about Motul synthetic gear oil??

I use Motul 300v in my tranny, no problems and it's been in there for the past 35,000 miles (changed every 15k of course!).

Chances are when the dealer rebuilt your trans they filled it with bulk gear oil not the Subaru Extra-S. The Extra-S is only required by Subaru warranty to be used by dealers when rebuilding the 6-Speed trans.

And having synthetic in your trans didn't cause it to break...

I use Motul 300v in my tranny, no problems and it's been in there for the past 35,000 miles (changed every 15k of course!).

Chances are when the dealer rebuilt your trans they filled it with bulk gear oil not the Subaru Extra-S. The Extra-S is only required by Subaru warranty to be used by dealers when rebuilding the 6-Speed trans.

And having synthetic in your trans didn't cause it to break...

have you had a chance to drive the 300v at low temperatures? I don't mean any dis-respect. I've just had lots of trouble with group 5 oils at low temps. The shifter is usually pretty light (as expected) but the shifts are crunchy... I suppose Canadian winters are pretty hard on parts.

have you had a chance to drive the 300v at low temperatures? I don't mean any dis-respect. I've just had lots of trouble with group 5 oils at low temps. The shifter is usually pretty light (as expected) but the shifts are crunchy... I suppose Canadian winters are pretty hard on parts.

I'm in Florida...the coldest it ever gets is in the very short winter...very rarely at or below freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever heard of this great cocktail for your transmission.

1 Quart Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil

1 Quart Pennzoil syncromesh

1.5 Quarts Castrol Hypo C Gear Oil

I just changed it with my tranny fluid and wow fxed every problem i had and the top end doesnt feel any rougher than low end.

Best part only cost $50 dollars with shipping.

Any idea who came up with it, and why?

(I was just told by my dealer that they dont use it, they use mobile instead of the OEM gear-s stuff..)

"Uncle Scotty" on NASIOC. They call it Uncle Scotty's Cocktail.

There's a vendor on RS25.com that has the ingredients in stock to ship currently. A problem some people run into is finding one or two of the bottles, so you have to run everywhere to find it.

Good price. http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68102

I have to say that this Extra-s stuff sounds pretty cool, though. There's a few threads on NASIOC about it, they seem to love it too.

Archived