LegacyGT.com

Subaru Extra-s gear oil - cat's meow!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone ever heard of this great cocktail for your transmission.

1 Quart Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil

1 Quart Pennzoil syncromesh

1.5 Quarts Castrol Hypo C Gear Oil

I just changed it with my tranny fluid and wow fxed every problem i had and the top end doesnt feel any rougher than low end.

Best part only cost $50 dollars with shipping.

Over at NASIOC, there is a trans rebuilder posting in the "cocktail" thread, who says he is seeing unusual wear patterns with this cocktail. His advice is to not use it.

Over at NASIOC, there is a trans rebuilder posting in the "cocktail" thread, who says he is seeing unusual wear patterns with this cocktail. His advice is to not use it.

Hey outa,

I've got to wonder about this. This cocktail has been around for what, 2-3 years now? How many of these trans are being rebuilt from people actually using it? If they are being rebuilt, what were they running prior to this cocktail? What was the driving style like?

And what exactly does unusual wear patterns mean?

I'm just saying, it's odd to hear about any problems if it's running well considering how shortly this cocktail has been out there.

Joe

Chances are when the dealer rebuilt your trans they filled it with bulk gear oil not the Subaru Extra-S. The Extra-S is only required by Subaru warranty to be used by dealers when rebuilding the 6-Speed trans.

5MT only. Center diff is a sealed unit. Front diff shares fluid with the transmission. Use in rear diff too.

These two are conflicting, any further details/info regarding extra-s for 6speeds?

Hey outa,

I've got to wonder about this. This cocktail has been around for what, 2-3 years now? How many of these trans are being rebuilt from people actually using it? If they are being rebuilt, what were they running prior to this cocktail? What was the driving style like?

And what exactly does unusual wear patterns mean?

I'm just saying, it's odd to hear about any problems if it's running well considering how shortly this cocktail has been out there.

Joe

+1

Unless the guy strips his gearbox down every few months how is he going to track wear patterns ?

I use the Redline cocktail, highly recommended in these parts ;)

So, this is for the transmission and senter diff, what do you put in the rear? Anybody know where I can buy this stuff?

Ted

Should be perfectly fine for the rear diff, just make sure you put in the Subaru LSD additive.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Admitting my ignorance.

This seems to be a manual transmission oil. Is there an equivalent for the 2005 5sp auto? The manuals are all VERY specific as to what to use and it is only easily available from the stealership.

After 2 years ownership I am thinking about flushing and replacing the transmission fluid and external filter. No, there have been no problems with what is in there now.

There are several variants of auto tranny fluid, some better than others, but I'm not sure what the comparision would be - apples-to-apples.

BTW - Drain, replace the filer, and refill with Auto Tranny fluid, but don't ever power "flush" your auto tranny. To many bad things happen, even on low-mileage transmissions. Talk to a quality transmission rebuilder, they'll tell you the same thing.

SBT

:confused:

Give me a second and I'll look up the part number. I have a pint of it here in my parts locker.

Got it and it's not a pint it's a full liter metal can.

K0305Y0900 - Subaru LSD Oil.

SBT

Give me a second and I'll look up the part number. I have a pint of it here in my parts locker.

Got it and it's not a pint it's a full liter metal can.

K0305Y0900 - Subaru LSD Oil.

SBT

Nah, this is not an additive, just some special LSD straight 90-weight oil for 2004+ STI rear diffs... I'd guess 2004-2006 which are cutch type diffs. 2007 is Torsen who knows what it takes....

For our vanilla viscous LSD rear diff any GL-5 is fine.

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/subaru/K0305Y0900.JPG

Nah, this is not an additive, just some special LSD straight 90-weight oil for 2004+ STI rear diffs... I'd guess 2004-2006 which are cutch type diffs. 2007 is Torsen who knows what it takes....

For our vanilla viscous LSD rear diff any GL-5 is fine.

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/subaru/K0305Y0900.JPG

Dunno - deferring to the Master Tech on this one. :)

SBT

Archived