LegacyGT.com

Subaru Extra-s gear oil - cat's meow!

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;1187769']Part # K0323AA093 (G-O Extra-S 75w90)

MSDS: http://rtk.complyplus.com/default.asp?custcode=954600&mpc=file%09000093&mpd=2

subaru-gear-oil.jpg

Isn't this just the cheap stuff they get in bulk and use for factory fill?

Or is this a Subaru designed sythetic...

supplied by shell it says...maybe just put into a different label to sell more?

Isn't this just the cheap stuff they get in bulk and use for factory fill?

Or is this a Subaru designed sythetic...

supplied by shell it says...maybe just put into a different label to sell more?

Not a cheap bulk oil, it is synthetic and it's made by Showa Shell Sekiyu Kabushiki Kaisha...JDM yo....

Not a cheap bulk oil, it is synthetic and it's made by Showa Shell Sekiyu Kabushiki Kaisha...JDM yo....

Is it syntetic? How do you know that? I thought it's a dino but packed with some special bunch of additives.

Opie, out of curiosity, does your service center use this? Or is it an option? Have you tried it yourself?

We carry the gear oil and we give customers the choise of this, Motul or bulk gear lube. Of course bulk oil is the cheapest option and Motul and the Extra-S are slightly more but we let the customer decide.

I have not used it myself yet, I've been using Motul in my car. But the customers that have switched to the Extra-S swear by it and more and more people are asking for it specifically.

Subaru really needs to sell it in smaller containers for consumers, most don't want a 20L container sitting around at home.

my dealer (Singer Subaru) didnt know anything about this. Seriously morons and very mod unfriendly, just incase anyone want to go there.

I want to get this stuff as well.

Hey unclemat it says you will be in MA soon. Got some extra for me?

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread for some good stuff. I put it in my car and helped 2 other folks put it in theirs. I got it for roughly $142 shipped all the way from King of Parts to Colorado...

This oil is not an "Oh my god, what a difference" change, but I just notice that it is smoother, period. I notice this after the fact, when I realize there was no harshness, or not as much notchiness, on the drive in to work. I think it is more than a placebo effect...

And, at $36 dollars for a full trans/diff change, it is a great buy. Just find 3 other folks in your area and give Jeremy a call or PM :D

The only hard part is trying to fill the trans and diff up w/ a 20L jug :lol:

:spin:

Admitting my ignorance.

This seems to be a manual transmission oil. Is there an equivalent for the 2005 5sp auto? The manuals are all VERY specific as to what to use and it is only easily available from the stealership.

After 2 years ownership I am thinking about flushing and replacing the transmission fluid and external filter. No, there have been no problems with what is in there now.

• 2 weeks later...
Admitting my ignorance.

This seems to be a manual transmission oil. Is there an equivalent for the 2005 5sp auto? The manuals are all VERY specific as to what to use and it is only easily available from the stealership.

After 2 years ownership I am thinking about flushing and replacing the transmission fluid and external filter. No, there have been no problems with what is in there now.

There is a specific fluid as well for the 5EAT (5sp Auto) in the Legacy, it is called ATF/PSF (Idemitsu ATF-HP/PSF). It comes in quart bottles available at your local Subaru dealer and is P/N: SOA635040

• 2 weeks later...

I just swapped out Redline NS for subaru extra-s. The notchiness is gone and the shifter is noticably lighter. I don't know if it is my imagination but reverse seems much easier to get into now. I'll post again when I've had a chance to drive in the cold.

This gear oil was worth the trouble I went through bringing it into Canada + it is significantly cheaper than Redline. Of the oils I've tested (Amsoil, stock, redline, M1, Extra-s), this one has the best shift feel. The funny thing is, all the dealers I called in Southern Ontario had no clue this stuff exists.

Guest Gitster
was at my dealer today and the Tech said they use it if asked for, he also said it made the transmission shirt smoother. bosco

I like smooth shirts :lol:

Archived