LegacyGT.com

Legacy revamp

BigT

I spoke to the woman at the NY auto show today and she was positive that the legacy would receive a complete revamp in 2010. Other than that she was unclear about details. She said the power could be from the 3.6 liter engine in the tribeca (which would be SICK!). She also said she was unclear whether it would be on the tribeca platform, but probably not. I mentioned double wishbone suspension and she had no response. She DID say that there was probably no chance of a Legacy Sti. :mad:

The thing that I'm most focused on now is the 6 cylinder 3.6 liter Boxer engine! IF we got that it would be sick, but would the Sti get it too? My concern would be about aftermarket parts. Most of our parts, although expensive, are not as expensive, or non existent as they would be if the inpreze didn't have our engine. How many aftermarket parts are there for the H6? Virtually none to my understanding. In any event, it looks like we've got a while to figure it out.

Cobb makes a supercharger for the Tribeca installed with other performance upgrades for about $5K, saw a Cobb tuned Tribeca in a Motor Trend awhile ago. Suspension and brake upgrades, also. I bet the performance upgrades would be applicable to the next gen Legacy. I am guessing they will upgrade their 2.5L turbo to include direct injection and twin turbo to give better low-end torque and improve efficiency.

I spoke to the woman at the NY auto show today and she was positive that the legacy would receive a complete revamp in 2010.

Was she one of the models? :lol:

Just kidding....thanks for the info...lots of speculation until the 2010's come out. Plus, we'll see it in Japan probably at least 1 year ahead of us.

Ummm, would the 3.6L fit in the STi? Not that I would buy an STi hatchback anyway. Major eww, I dont care how fast it is.

Interesting question. My answer is yes. Jeff Perrin got and H6 in his last year for SEMA. I think he said it required a little trimming, but I'm sure they could fit it in from the factory. It would be tight though. The VWR32 has a 6cyl and it has a pretty small bay. It might be a straight six though, which I think takes up less room. I'm not so sure.

Also, isn't the new wrx/Sti on a legacy platform? And they have the H6 in the legacy now. From my understanding the H6 is a 3.0 liter, but I think they just bore out the current engine to make it a Boxer 3.6 :confused:

Anybody else please chime in here. I'm piecing things together based on things I've read months ago.

Was she one of the models? :lol:

Just kidding....thanks for the info...lots of speculation until the 2010's come out. Plus, we'll see it in Japan probably at least 1 year ahead of us.

I wish, although she was pretty fine. I'm still not sure whether I had a chubby for her or for the rally car :p

Also, isn't the new wrx/Sti on a legacy platform? And they have the H6 in the legacy now. From my understanding the H6 is a 3.0 liter, but I think they just bore out the current engine to make it a Boxer 3.6 :confused:

Anybody else please chime in here. I'm piecing things together based on things I've read months ago.

I'm pretty sure this is what they did.

They just increased bore and stroke on the 3.0 to make it 3.6. Frankly, this might make it an unreliable choice for turbo treatment, due to the mess it makes of the compression. It would make some nice down-low grunt in NA form, though.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

The VWR32 has a 6cyl and it has a pretty small bay. It might be a straight six though, which I think takes up less room. I'm not so sure.

...the R32, B6 Passat, TT, A3, and MKIII/MKIV GTi use variations of VW's VR6 which is a narrow angle V6 motor (the cylinders share a single head).

From the press:

The flat-six engine (or H6, as Subaru calls it) is already a tight fit in the Tribeca’s engine bay. Since the H6 is a horizontally opposed layout, any significant increase in crankshaft stroke would result in engine-block deck-height increases that would make the engine too wide to fit in the existing structure.

The problem was exacerbated by typically thrifty computer-aided engine design, which left minimal space between the engine’s cylinder bores. Subaru calculated that it could safely increase the bore size from 89.2mm to 92.0mm, but that change would have bumped the displacement to only 3191cc. Subaru needed more than that for the performance improvements it was seeking, so it came up with a novel way of increasing piston stroke without raising the cylinder deck height. The answer was an asymmetrical connecting-rod design (which looks somewhat like a lamb chop) that permits the piston to travel farther downward into the crankcase and increases the effective stroke from 80mm to 91mm.

I wonder what a high-revving 3.2 H6 Turbo would do...

The new bore measurement from the 3.6 engine, but normal symmetric and strengthened connecting rods, for forced induction...

I am not sure how well purposely-bent connecting rods would handle high dynamic compression loads, and more energy.

^ Well if it works....

I wouldn't mind seeing the 3.6L H6 making 300-320hp in a Legacy redesign. I know it will never happen but I can dream right?

Well, seeing as all of the entry level luxury autos have bumped up their power to around 300 hp (335xi, is350, G35x), I would hope the Legacy would follow suit. I know that the legacy is still in the near-luxury market, but this generation can match the competition in performance pound-for-pound. Sure, the competition is typically much more refined with better materials (and paint, for that matter). I hope that they keep the legacy in the budget sports-luxury market but I would definitely be happier with a 2.5L with twin turbo and direct injection than a larger 6-puncher.

Archived