LegacyGT.com

How do you safely debadge?

I would like to get what looks like paragraphs of advertising off the back of my car. The dealer label was easy enough to get off, but I'm wondering if the factory badges will be harder to remove.

How did you do it?

TIA

Neil

Heat gun and dental floss will get the job done.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Or on a hot day just the dental floss (although I found the floss tends to break) fishing line would be better, but floss will do.

Then use some car paint cleaner to get rid of any gummy residue.

In the future use the search function lots of threads on most topics.

Enjoy!

Or on a hot day just the dental floss (although I found the floss tends to break) fishing line would be better, but floss will do.

Then use some car paint cleaner to get rid of any gummy residue.

In the future use the search function lots of threads on most topics.

Enjoy!

+1 if you can't use car paint cleaner, gumout works fine just as well.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

sunlight, dental floss wrapped in half couple times so it doesnt break. goo gone and ten mins

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

goo gone + dental floss + soft cloth

just make sure you do this while the badges and car are still new, if not then you'll remove the badges and find out the paint under the badges is PRISTINE and DARK and paint surrounding the badges has faded and lost its clear coat over time, so youre doing to see the ghosts of the badges on you trunk.

but please, go ahead and try it, and let us know if im right or not

Heat gun, start with fishing line then pull off. Start at the edge of the of the remaining tape and push the edge twords the middle so it rolls up like a poster, clean with Goo Gone and wax, take pics, post pics, and done.

Yeah, newbie search avoidance, sorry. But I would have missed out on some great wise ass answers, and it's been a long week, so I needed the laugh.

I'll start with the 2.5 and see how it goes. I'm scared of ghosts.

i want to do this but edkwon makes a good point.. I don't want ghost badges and faded paint.. Mine is an 05 so it's no where near "new"..

I'm right there with ya. My 05's pretty clean but I'm sure there are water spots and little wax buildup around the badges. I think if we pull them; clean off any left over adhesive and then buff the back of deck lid with something like maguire's clear coat scrub; then a swirl remover or glaze it should even out.

Let's kick this pig!

goo gone + dental floss + soft cloth

just make sure you do this while the badges and car are still new, if not then you'll remove the badges and find out the paint under the badges is PRISTINE and DARK and paint surrounding the badges has faded and lost its clear coat over time, so youre doing to see the ghosts of the badges on you trunk.

but please, go ahead and try it, and let us know if im right or not

For me, you are correct. I bought teh car new in Dec 05. But it was on dealer lots since March 05. I debadged in about 1-2 months of ownership. Also cleaned waxed and buffed and such.

I still got ghosting of where badges once were if I look carefully when car is clean. When dirty however it's invisible.

Oh well. Sucks even more that mine is black

My Atlantic Blue '05 was on the dealer's lot for about a year before I bought it and I waited another few months before I pulled the badges off. I had to do a lot of work with polish (solvents didn't seem to work, so I don't think it was adhesive residue) to get rid of the ghosting, but I did. The paint was not faded. It just might take a little bit of work to get it to your satisfaction.

The one thing you DON'T want to do is to get the area hot (I used a hair dryer) and pry the badge off from one edge. The oposite edge will dig into the now softened clear coat and leave small marks. Don't ask.

It is still ugly.

http://www.orange-sol.com/images/10022%2010151sml.jpg

+ http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/products/floss.jpg

most of it came off by soaking the badges using de-solv-it (which i maintain is better then goo gone) and then working them off with the floss.. once off a few sprays with the solvent and a rub down with a nice terry cloth towel that has some bite to it (not too much dont wanna scratch) and viola.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Well, not special, but lucky I guess.

Here's what I did, and it was easy.

1. Cranked theme music from GhostBusters.

2. Used hair dryer for 30 secs on badge.

3. Flossed that biotch.

4. Used plain old Bug & tar remover.

5. Followed up with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to finish up. I love the stuff for jobs like this.

6. Held short séance with Bic lighter, and snapped pics:

I thought all was safe, but when I parked in the garage I took a look at the hood....:eek:

1385958148_P1000657Cleaned.thumb.jpg.f0743e5ee379b1aefe694bedb2423b7f.jpg

P1000669.thumb.jpg.ae63a02635e5b3d6e9645c7400f66ed9.jpg

Archived