LegacyGT.com

How do you safely debadge?

i bought my 05 in October of last year and pulled the badges off in the parking lot at the dealership with my fingernails. It was kind of tedious, but they finally came of. Then asked the sales mangaer for a rag with some polish on it, and hoila! Good as new. It is silver though, maybe that helped out a little with the ghosting problem.

i bought my 05 in October of last year and pulled the badges off in the parking lot at the dealership with my fingernails. It was kind of tedious, but they finally came of. Then asked the sales mangaer for a rag with some polish on it, and hoila! Good as new. It is silver though, maybe that helped out a little with the ghosting problem.

ghosting is worse with the darker colors for sure. even if you have ghosting on white paint, you'll never see it 99% of the time.

on black paint, that crap will annoy you every time you clear your car

Ed

I de-badged the Subaru and 2.5 GT (left the normal Legacy badge on for sleeper effect) as soon as I took the car home.

I think I drove to the hardware store on that first drive home to get some Goof-Off too!

Edit- yes, as above mentioned, just barely touch the Goof-Off coated rag to the car. Let the solvent take it off. Don't scrub it off!

Those with letter ghosting..have you tried scratch-x? I had a little ghosting when I did my car way back when. Applied some scratch-x and it was all gone.

you're right now that i think about it, while you couldnt feel it but there was a small ghosting effect and scratch-x got rid of it

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

i don't think it's ever to late.....how many older cars have you seen missing

emblems? happens all the time, old glue+heat and the annoying letters will

magically disappear. i waited until about 12k to do it, and i have some ghost

letters, but they're not hard to get rid off, i just haven't broken my compound out

yet.

do it....you're rear end will thank you for it:cool:

Anyone think after 1.5 years and 25k miles it's too late to debadge?

No.. i know for a fact my car sat on the lot for 8 mos before i bought it and it was fine (i did it 2 mos after i bought it)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Guest subiecity
i used gasoline, dribble sum bhind the leters and they like pretty much fall off, worked for my honda civic, my subie legacy and my friend bmw....gasoline, and a credit card to peel off whats left of the sticky stuff :)

Gas does make for a good solvent. I don't know about a credit card for the sticky stuff... Subaru paint can't handle a stiff breeze let alone plastic scrapping on it.

Heh, yeah. I'm thinking a rubber cake spatula is all it can handle and that might be pushing it.

For that matter one of those little window tint squeeges or body putty spreaders would work too. They are soft enough not to scratch and still stiff enough to get behind the letters and work some of the goo off.

As for solvents and swirls; I'd blame the rag. Don't use any fabric that you wouldn't use to dry the car or rub it out. Again, the darker the car and the harder you rub the worse the scratches and swirls will show. Keep turning the rag to a clean spot with fresh solvent and it will take more adhesive each time instead of just smearing and melting it.

Over the years I've had real good luck with the Meguire's Clear Coat Scrub to get out stains and shadows; then use their Swirl Remover to even everything out. A buffer helps.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived