LegacyGT.com

Disable TPMS in ECU?

rudy

TPMS in Canada is an option I believe ( it's mandatory here in US because us American's are too stupid to know when we have a low tire :rolleyes:)

As for the need for motion I doubt that also because I have had a leaky tire and if I stop and leave the car idling and fill up the tire, then wait a minute or two (i.e. run inside and grab a drink) and come out the light will go off. Which makes me think it's just a signal that is sent at predetermined frequencies. If this is the case, maybe just sticking them in the trunk will work????

Anyone here know for sure how the TPMS works??? I want to get dedicated summer rims/tires but I sure don't want to deal with this problem.

EDIT: Some more searching answered how they work... can be found here

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Spr05_WhatsInside.htm

One other solution would be to get someone to print up some cool 1/2" diameter Solid Subaru logos to place over the light, then you could just say it's some flare if anyone notices :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so has no one figured out a solution to take out the TPMS light? i was looking around a bunch of threads on here and found one that might be useful; i don't know why no one has bumped it or made it a sticky unless its wrong info. i haven't looked yet but supposedly there's a module under the seat, and you cut one of the wires to disable the light?!? has anyone tried this or confirmed?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1174400

so has no one figured out a solution to take out the TPMS light? i was looking around a bunch of threads on here and found one that might be useful; i don't know why no one has bumped it or made it a sticky unless its wrong info. i haven't looked yet but supposedly there's a module under the seat, and you cut one of the wires to disable the light?!? has anyone tried this or confirmed?

no one has tried this? is it a valid solution? bump.

• 3 months later...
Bump - wow, I gotta say I'm shocked there isn't an answer for this after all this time. I really don't want to put tape on my dash and I hate that(*@#)!(* light!

No other ideas fellas???

-Ross

Humans are very adaptive. Come to think of it, after year and a half - I really really don't see the light anymore. I will see blinker light, high beams etc, but those stupid ligts on the right bottom - my brain totally cuts the out :rolleyes: Otherwise I'd put some nice black tape on it. But don't need to anymore.

I wouldn't quite call that a solution, at $400 it's not much of a solution...

:rolleyes: Fine. Your options are:

1. Ignore the light.

2. Use a black piece of tape.

3. Get rid of the light in the gauge cluster.

4. Create a custom circuit board that outputs the signal that the BIU expects to keep the light off. The expected signal is described in the service manual.

#4 is the next most viable solution. My way at least allows you to keep a functioning TPMS system.

^^ I think that $400 includes dismounting and remounting the tires @ $93. So it's really a $307 solution.

Not horrible if you drive the car with different wheels/tires for half of the year. I think the cost could also be justified in that you aren't disabling a safety feature of the car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Sinsiter,

Don't misunderstand me, I didn't mean to trash that solution. I'm just stunned that there's not a simplier way to disable the system. My Spec.B came with nitrogen in the tires so it wouldn't constantly set off the TPMS (in Colorado we get huge temp swings).

I'm thinking #3 would be easiest, that is assuming it's not a nightmare to get the gauge cluster out....

why didn't someone just get ecu flash and copy your ecu. Then look to see if you can turn off the sensor. If someone with tpms wants to come over and try it that's cool. It will take less then 5 minutes. Then I can turn it off and reflash you. I use Os for tuning and already have everything.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I talked to the tuner infamous1 and he said that the newer cable is needed for '07+. He will check some of the '07 roms that he tuned to see if the tpms can be shut off. I'll keep you posted.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Sinsiter,

Don't misunderstand me, I didn't mean to trash that solution. I'm just stunned that there's not a simplier way to disable the system. My Spec.B came with nitrogen in the tires so it wouldn't constantly set off the TPMS (in Colorado we get huge temp swings).

I'm thinking #3 would be easiest, that is assuming it's not a nightmare to get the gauge cluster out....

#3 may be the easiest, but it's also illegal to tamper with the TPMS system. It could make it tougher when it's time to sell the car. It's why I personally won't do any modification to a daily driven car unless I can return it back to stock.

People have been agonizing over Subaru's TPMS system ever since it came out and #4 has been the best one I've seen yet to 'disable' the light.

why didn't someone just get ecu flash and copy your ecu. Then look to see if you can turn off the sensor. If someone with tpms wants to come over and try it that's cool. It will take less then 5 minutes. Then I can turn it off and reflash you. I use Os for tuning and already have everything.

My suspicion is that the TPMS light is controlled by the TPMS computer through the BIU and not the ECU. If anything, swapping the BIU with a non-TPMS equipped car is probably the way to go for disabling the system completely. The harnesses may be completely different though.

Take the gauge cluster out and take the light out :p

I don't seem to have this issue.. 3 sets of wheels later still never had a light. Guess my car don't have it :)

not sure if '05 had it or not, but if you have simply been upgrading the wheels and going to a tire shop, they most likely have moved the sensors to your new wheels. This is only a problem if you want more than 1 SET of wheels, like in most cases winter and summer tires, the system can only handle 4 sensors....

if I can ever afford my summer rims I am going to try the TPMS computer swap for $75...

• 1 year later...
Itsme you rock! I put gravels on my car tonight and ended up deciding not to install tpms... now the light pisses me off LOL!!! I have tactrix 2.0, I'll try anything to get rid of the light!

I'm guessing nobody figured out how to do it since that post was a year ago...

nope. If light still bothering you after a month of trying - just use the black tape. 1 cent solution. But my brain completely blocked that light after a month of driving. It's there, but I don't see it :)

• 9 months later...

Has anyone tried unplugging the TPMS sending module under the driver's seat? It sounds promising. Heck, I'm gonna go try it right now.

Even stock, the TPMS system has never worked quite right. I shelled out for a second set of sensors for my winter wheels, and they never worked right. I check my tire pressure regularly, so even a working system doesn't really help me. In the meantime, that bloody amber blinking light is like the boy who cried wolf. It is the opposite of a safety feature. If you learn to ignore it, you might miss a warning light that actually means something. /rant

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried unplugging the TPMS sending module under the driver's seat? It sounds promising. Heck, I'm gonna go try it right now.

Even stock, the TPMS system has never worked quite right. I shelled out for a second set of sensors for my winter wheels, and they never worked right. I check my tire pressure regularly, so even a working system doesn't really help me. In the meantime, that bloody amber blinking light is like the boy who cried wolf. It is the opposite of a safety feature. If you learn to ignore it, you might miss a warning light that actually means something. /rant

OK, well, that didn't work. Now the light is on all the time. At least it's less annoying than the blinking light. Time for the black tape fix.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 2 months later...

so no one bothered to check for the fuse?

beginning of MY2007, TPMS is mandatory for ALL cars sold in the USA. I'm sure there is a way to disable it.. easiest would be taking the dash apart just to take out the bulb out.. for more sophisticated cars, I'm sure it's a software switch to reprogram (I'm thinking along the lines of the seat belt chime, etc).

seriously, these are cars are still programmed out of this country, and I'm sure their home country doesn't have this as a requirement on their cars..

I'm currently looking into it more, but it could as simple as a resistor mod, but we shall see, I haven't wired anything up along the lines of the CANBUS system to figure it out. Remember, at least in the Subaru system (aka Bartec brand sensors),

also see:

http://www.subaru-tpms.com/?gclid=COb5mrbo96cCFeM85QodHQr9sw

possible list of Subarus that had TPMS installed:

http://www.subaru-tpms.com/subaru-tpms-types-fitment.html

The Tech400 Plus tool can turn off the light:

"The tool supports the replacement of TPMS sensors and the reprogramming of the car and turns the warning light off."

http://www.bartecusa.com/wheelrite_tech400.htm

but it's a matter of NOT shelling out that kind of money just to buy one of these things..

if I bought this tool, i would so make a killing of disabling everyone's TPMS for $20/car

Keefe

Archived