LegacyGT.com

Disable TPMS in ECU?

rudy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok when the light is on solid the pressure is too low, and when its blinking the pressure is too high? Is that right? I went in for an oil change today and as a "courtesy" they checked the pressure in my tires, now the light is on solid. I've only seen the light blink.

Strange, I always thought it was because the pressure was too high. Sometimes at freeway speeds it would come on and blink. I assumed that was the tires got hot on the pavement and the pressure in the tire increased. It blinks randomly, mostly on hot days or extended freeway trips (1hr +).

Nope, according to the vacation pix, a blinking light indicates a system malfunction. The four possible causes listed are: air pressure sensor malfunction, air pressure sensor is out of battery, tire pressure monitoring control module is faulty, or defective vehicle harness.

someone posted about this subject before. I took their advice and put the pressure at 36 lbs. the light hasn't come on since.

Regarding the flashing TPMS light, you are correct - there is a malfunction within the TPMS system.

• 5 months later...
So, my effort at using factory TPMS sensors in the BBS rims failed due to the RK's not having a proper notch for them to slide in. Does anyone have any feedback from dealers if they can disable TPMS in the ECU. I figure it must be a software toggle if the cars bound for Canada don't have TPMS installed.

*Edit*

This is how it's disabled for VW's. I'm assuming something similar might/must be possible for Subaru:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3160250

Has anyone had any luck with a similar or other fix (read "no tape").

Nope, according to the vacation pix, a blinking light indicates a system malfunction. The four possible causes listed are: air pressure sensor malfunction, air pressure sensor is out of battery, tire pressure monitoring control module is faulty, or defective vehicle harness.

Man, never even thought of that. Having to unmount/mount a tire to change the stinkin' TPMS sensor battery. Yeah, its getting disabled in the Tacoma as soon as that happens. What a pain.

Man, never even thought of that. Having to unmount/mount a tire to change the stinkin' TPMS sensor battery. Yeah, its getting disabled in the Tacoma as soon as that happens. What a pain.

The batteries are supposedly good for 10 years or 100,000 miles. I'm not sure if that's absolutely true or not. They're also not replaceable so if the battery dies then you have to buy a whole new sensor.

The batteries are supposedly good for 10 years or 100,000 miles. I'm not sure if that's absolutely true or not. They're also not replaceable so if the battery dies then you have to buy a whole new sensor.

I don't buy that. Life inside a tire is not pleasant;) I can't imagine it being anything other than your typical button cell or small lithium.

Pull the fuse from the fuse box. That worked for a friend of mine with an 08. I am ordering my wheels today and thats what im doing. He says he does not have a blinking light or anything

-Brian

Which fuse???

I'm driving with blinking light for half a year now, and I don't even notice it anymore, but if I can get rid of it - that would be great!

I don't buy that. Life inside a tire is not pleasant;) I can't imagine it being anything other than your typical button cell or small lithium.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But than all that Subaru TPMS solution looks like it was specifically designed to cost us big $, and create inconvinences.

The good solution would be to allow people 1)train new sensors themselvs 2)Be able to show what wheel is leaking 3)be able to switch it off.

But obviously all that never came to mind of Subaru guys

My car is in for service and I brought up a bunch of questions regarding the TPMS sensors.

I'll let ya know what they say.

I'm ok with having them, what bugs me the most is that if you up the pressure 3-4psi then it goes off also.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I'm not sure I buy that either, but I think the sensors are off most of the time. They only turn on once the car is moving over 25mph and after that I think they just turn on to transmit the tire pressure every few minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
To defeat the light couldn't you just put all four stock sensors inside the spare tire?

No, the sensors are normally "asleep" most of the time. They wake up when the car is in motion (I think above 25mph). The system needs a signal from the sensors when they are awake in order to be happy enough not to turn the light on the dash on. If you just put them in the spare they'd never wake up to send any signals to the receiver.

After driving with the light for half a year - I don't really notice it anymore. I always wanted to put black sticker on top of it, but now I don't really care. It only blinks once a minute or so, and I'm so used to it - it doesn't bother me anymore.

No, the sensors are normally "asleep" most of the time. They wake up when the car is in motion (I think above 25mph). The system needs a signal from the sensors when they are awake in order to be happy enough not to turn the light on the dash on. If you just put them in the spare they'd never wake up to send any signals to the receiver.

Really? I took my winters off a few weeks ago but had them in the trunk/back seat for a few days.

The TPMS light didn't complain until after the winters were removed from the car and stored.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Well, it definitely turns on and blinks. Drove down to Providence and after about 10 min on the highway, off it went. Not too terribly annoying, but I still want it off.
Take a 1" square piece of black electrical tape. Drive until light goes on. Pull over, place tape over light, drive on.

I did this two years ago.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived