LegacyGT.com

Disable TPMS in ECU?

rudy

I just looked up, for those that have the AutoEnginuity OBD2 reader, you can go online and pay the $150 for the enhanced sensor codes and activations for Subarus.. one of them list that you can deal with TPMS stuff among the similar things that dealers can do like disable or modify the door chimes, autolocking, etc as well as retarding timing or setting idle speeds on the engine with or without AC.

I'm debating if I really want to shell out the $150 for it just to turn off and turn on the light as I please, but it might be worth it for other functions that the additional software can do with the CANBUS/ECU.. but this is a cheaper option than to pay the dealer or shell out the $3000 Subaru ECU tool or even buying a set of sensors ($190 shipped) and still have it be reprogrammed by the tire shop or dealer.

Keefe

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
if only they didnt use centrifical force i would be running a canister right now...

I thought they just used pressure? Does the Subaru system work differently than everyone else's?

We opted to not get the second set of sensors and the reset tool for the snow tires on my dad's Outback, so he's been living with the light. Would be nice to get rid of it though.

I just looked up, for those that have the AutoEnginuity OBD2 reader, you can go online and pay the $150 for the enhanced sensor codes and activations for Subarus.. one of them list that you can deal with TPMS stuff among the similar things that dealers can do like disable or modify the door chimes, autolocking, etc as well as retarding timing or setting idle speeds on the engine with or without AC.

I'm debating if I really want to shell out the $150 for it just to turn off and turn on the light as I please, but it might be worth it for other functions that the additional software can do with the CANBUS/ECU.. but this is a cheaper option than to pay the dealer or shell out the $3000 Subaru ECU tool or even buying a set of sensors ($190 shipped) and still have it be reprogrammed by the tire shop or dealer.

Wait, wait, wait...are you saying that with this tool, I could actually turn off/disable/make the f***ing light NOT show up no matter what? Is that what you're saying right now?!

• I Donated
Wait, wait, wait...are you saying that with this tool, I could actually turn off/disable/make the f***ing light NOT show up no matter what? Is that what you're saying right now?!

I don't think so. This is a full list of the AutoEnginuity supported sensors and active commands:

http://www.autoenginuity.com/Subaru-All-Systems-List.html

Active commands are at the bottom. There aren't very many.

so no one bothered to check for the fuse?

*snip*

It's more complicated than that. I did the research a year or two ago and the BIU expects a signal from the TPMS computer to keep the light off. The signal alternated between 0V and 5V IIRC. Someone on NASIOC built a circuit to simulate the signal and used a 555 timer.

If you're willing to buy a second set of sensors, IMO the ATEQ tool is the way to go now ($150) vs buying a second TPMS computer. The second computer trick has served me well, but the ATEQ tool is reusable with other cars and you won't have to go to the dealer if change a sensor.

I finally solved the problem by installing my Droid Incredible dock right in front of the TPMS light/ lower part of the speedometer! Can't see this light anymore. Can't see DSL light anymore. Can't see gas warning light either :)

hmmm, is there another cheaper tool? I feel that even at $150 to own the tool just for a few cars isn't really worth it still..

Not that I've seen unfortunately. $150 is a steal compared to the Bartec tool though. Before ATEQ, I couldn't find anything that would cost less than a grand. A second TPMS computer would cost $80, and that would be the cheapest solution if you can get someone to register the sensors for free or cheap. Personally, I'd spend the extra $70 and get the tool at that point.

Archived